* manual on-line and Q
@ 2002-06-25  3:59 Martín Marqués
From: Martín Marqués @ 2002-06-25  3:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

I would like to know which is a good manual for not so newbie C/C++ programmer
(with info about math functions, etc.), and a Q I have.

How do I concatenate into strings other data types, like double or int?

--
Porqué usar una base de datos relacional cualquiera,
si podés usar PostgreSQL?

* Re: manual on-line and Q
@ 2002-06-25  4:21 ` Angus Leeming
From: Angus Leeming @ 2002-06-25  4:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martín Marqués, gcc-help

On Tuesday 25 June 2002 11:59 am, Martín Marqués wrote:
> I would like to know which is a good manual for not so newbie C/C++
> programmer (with info about math functions, etc.), and a Q I have.
>
> How do I concatenate into strings other data types, like double or int?

Try this GPL-ed code from the LyX project (www.lyx.org)
Angus

/// convert \a T to string
template<typename T>
inline
string const tostr(T const & t)
{
	ostringstream ostr;
	ostr << t;
	return ostr.str().c_str();
	// We need to use the .c_str since we sometimes are using
	// our own string class and that is not compatible with
	// basic_string<char>. (of course we don't want this later)
}

///
template<>
inline
string const tostr(bool const & b)
{
	return (b ? "true" : "false");
}

///
template<>
inline
string const tostr(string const & s)
{
	return s;

* Re: manual on-line and Q
@ 2002-06-25  4:22 ` Thomas Porschberg
From: Thomas Porschberg @ 2002-06-25  4:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martín Marqués; +Cc: gcc-help

On Tue, Jun 25, 2002 at 07:59:51AM -0300, Martín Marqués wrote:
> I would like to know which is a good manual for not so newbie C/C++ programmer
> (with info about math functions, etc.), and a Q I have.

I'am happy with the books by Scott Meyers:
http://www.aristeia.com/books_frames.html
Sorry for advertising.

> How do I concatenate into strings other data types, like double or int?

May be http://www.boost.org/libs/conversion/index.htm helps.

example:

#include <boost/lexical_cast.hpp>
using std::string;
using boost::lexical_cast;
string dummy = string("bla") + lexical_cast<string>(myInteger) + string(")");

thomas