* Tutorial 4b
@ 2002-06-26  2:37 Mark Butcher
From: Mark Butcher @ 2002-06-26  2:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc; +Cc: gcc-help

Hi All

During the night I let a modified version of the MCORE script (simply
MCORE-ELF replaced by ARM-ELF) run.

The result was the identical build error when trying to simpiler the first
c++ library source. This seems proof that there is something wrong with the
script.

Does anyone see the error ????

Regards

Mark

* Re: Tutorial 4b
@ 2002-06-26  8:08 ` Peter Barada
From: Peter Barada @ 2002-06-26  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: M_J_BUTCHER; +Cc: gcc, gcc-help

>During the night I let a modified version of the MCORE script (simply
>MCORE-ELF replaced by ARM-ELF) run.
>
>The result was the identical build error when trying to simpiler the first
>c++ library source. This seems proof that there is something wrong with the
>script.

I'll give it a go(under Linux) and see what happens.

--
Peter Barada                                   Peter.Barada@motorola.com
Wizard                                         781-852-2768 (direct)

* Re: Tutorial 4b
@ 2002-06-26 15:00 Mark Butcher
From: Mark Butcher @ 2002-06-26 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: INTERNET:huntbs@lycos.com; +Cc: gcc, gcc-help

Hi Brett

As Peter has explained, the build process seems to be correct - build
binutils, build a simple c-compiler without libraries, build the newlib
libraries with the simple compiler.

In the fourth step the simple c compiler is used to build the c++ compiler
(for this it needs the libraries from the previous step).

I don't know the exact order of what happens during the fourth step but I
assume it must build the c++ compiler before it starts on the c++ library
sources. In fact my script is dumb and continues with the install process
after the build fails to complete the libraries. In the process it has
added mcore-elf-c++.exe and mcore-elf-g11.exe to the destination /bin
directory.

Therefore it seems as though the gcc tools have indeed been successfully
built and the issue is purely a library issue. Perhaps the result is
useable as long as the missing library routines are not required for the
specific program. Up to now my whole energy has been devoted to getting the
compiler built and so I don't yet have any experience with actually using
it and its libraries so can not yet guage how important or irrelevent the
missing library components are.

Cheers

Mark

* Re: Tutorial 4b
@ 2002-06-26 13:49 ` Peter Barada
From: Peter Barada @ 2002-06-26 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: huntbs; +Cc: gcc, M_J_BUTCHER, gcc-help

>Your littlegcc is compiled with the option --with-languages=c.
>I'm assuming that later you use this same compiler to build the
>full-blown gcc which contains c++ code. I'm out on a limb here since I
>don't know if by the time the error occurs you are using the c++
>enabled full-blown gcc or not. But if you compile the littlegcc
>without c++ support, might that not result in an error later trying to
>compile c++ libraries?

littlegcc is just a c compiler used to build newlib which is required
to build libstdc++v3 in the fourth step.  In the fourth step when
building 'gcc', '--enable-languages=c,c++' forces a c++ compiler to be
built which is used to build libstc++v3(also in the fourth step).

I hope that makes it just the faintest bit clearer :-)

--

@ 2002-06-26 13:42 Brett Hunt
From: Brett Hunt @ 2002-06-26 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc, Mark Butcher; +Cc: gcc-help

Mark,

This is just a guess from looking at your script. FYI, I have not reviewed the webpage you listed in a previous email to understand the build process but something stuck out as I read your script.

Your littlegcc is compiled with the option --with-languages=c.
I'm assuming that later you use this same compiler to build the full-blown gcc which contains c++ code. I'm out on a limb here since I don't know if by the time the error occurs you are using the c++ enabled full-blown gcc or not. But if you compile the littlegcc without c++ support, might that not result in an error later trying to compile c++ libraries?

Just my two cents
---
brett

On Wed, 26 Jun 2002 05:36:28
 Mark Butcher wrote:
>Hi All
>
>During the night I let a modified version of the MCORE script (simply
>MCORE-ELF replaced by ARM-ELF) run.
>
>The result was the identical build error when trying to simpiler the first
>c++ library source. This seems proof that there is something wrong with the
>script.
>
>Does anyone see the error ????
>
>Regards
>
>Mark

Win a first-class trip to New Orleans and vacation Elvis Style!.
Enter NOW!
http://r.lycos.com/r/sagel_mail/http://www.elvis.lycos.com/sweepstakes/