* Installation problem
@ 2003-03-03 21:04 Marc-André Breton
From: Marc-André Breton @ 2003-03-03 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I had an old version of gcc (gcc-2.96) and I tried to install the last release
(gcc-3.2.2). I work on a Linux platform, so I did the following steps to
install it:
1) download gcc-3.2.2.tar.gz from one of mirror sites
2) uncompressed this file in /home (Now I have /home/gcc-3.2.2)
3) cd /home/gcc-3.2.2
4) [root@lagrit12 gcc-3.2.2]# ./configure
5) [root@lagrit12 gcc-3.2.2]# make
6) [root@lagrit12 gcc-3.2.2]# make install

All seem work well but when I type in my console "gcc -v", I see that it's the
old version who is working again.
{Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/2.96/specs
gcc version 2.96 20000731 (Red Hat Linux 7.3 2.96110)}

What can I do to Switch between my new version of gcc? Does my installation
procedure is correct?

Marc

* Re: Installation problem
@ 2003-03-07  5:41 ` LLeweLLyn Reese
From: LLeweLLyn Reese @ 2003-03-07  5:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marc-André Breton <marc.andre.breton@lagrit.etsmtl.ca> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I had an old version of gcc (gcc-2.96) and I tried to install the last release
> (gcc-3.2.2). I work on a Linux platform, so I did the following steps to
> install it:
> 1) download gcc-3.2.2.tar.gz from one of mirror sites
> 2) uncompressed this file in /home (Now I have /home/gcc-3.2.2)
> 3) cd /home/gcc-3.2.2
> 4) [root@lagrit12 gcc-3.2.2]# ./configure

First of all you should build gcc in a seperate directory from the
source dir:

3) mkdir /home/gcc-3.2.2.objdir
4) cd /home/gcc-3.2.2.objdir
5) [root@lagrit12 gcc-3.2.2.objdir]# ../gcc-3.2.2/configure --prefix=/usr/local/gcc-3.2.2

Second, the default prefix is /usr/local, but the only sure way to be
    able to uninstall gcc is to put it in its own directory - I
    usually use /usr/local/<gcc-version> . Furtheremore, it isn't safe
    to install two versions of gcc with the same prefix. (Note: your
    linux distro will typically use prefix=/usr for the compiler that
    comes with the distro.)

Please read http://gcc.gnu.org/install/configure.html
    for details.

6) [root@lagrit12 gcc-3.2.2.objdir]# make
7) [root@lagrit12 gcc-3.2.2.objdir]# make install

> 5) [root@lagrit12 gcc-3.2.2]# make
> 6) [root@lagrit12 gcc-3.2.2]# make install
>
> All seem work well but when I type in my console "gcc -v", I see that it's the
> old version who is working again.
> {Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-redhat-linux/2.96/specs
> gcc version 2.96 20000731 (Red Hat Linux 7.3 2.96110)}
[snip]

Your new version of gcc will have its executables in <prefix>/bin . By
    default, prefix is /usr/local . So "/usr/local/bin/gcc -v" should
    fetch out 3.2.2 . If you wish this to be the default, put
    /usr/local/bin at the front of your path.

Additionaly, you may need to add <prefix>/lib to your LD_LIBRARY_PATH,
    or tell ldconfig to add <prefix>/lib to the list of dirs it stuffs
    in the link cache, so that programs compiled with gcc 3.2.2 can
    find their shared libs.

* Re: Installation Problem
@ 2007-11-28 19:09         ` Tom Browder
From: Tom Browder @ 2007-11-28 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Maxwell; +Cc: gcc-help

On 11/28/07, Joseph Maxwell <jaymax@jaymax.com> wrote:
> Thanks Tom. It is not so much what is said, but how someone says it.

Well, people do get short fuzes, I included, but most folks here are
very helpful most of the time.

Good luck.

-Tom

P.S.  I used to have to work under SGI IRIX but discovered Linux in
about 1994, got the company to accept it, abandoned our expensive
iron, and haven't looked back.  I highly recommend it if you can
switch (at least for everything not specifically requiring IRIX).

* Re: Installation Problem
@ 2007-11-28 16:30       ` Joseph Maxwell
From: Joseph Maxwell @ 2007-11-28 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Browder; +Cc: gcc-help

Tom Browder wrote:
> On Nov 27, 2007 1:30 PM, Joseph Maxwell <jaymax@jaymax.com> wrote:
>
>> In the event of a double post, plz. forgive my mail daemon reported a
>> failure previously
>>

> First you should answer Eljay's questions because we can't read your
> mind nor your past actions in this affair.  Tim is trying to get past
> the known problem areas from people not exactly following instructions
> for building gcc.

Thanks Tom. It is not so much what is said, but how someone says it.
Your reply made so much difference, I am now re-looking my whole
download,  initial setup, installation etc. The problem exists somewhere
there and I think I'll find it. Although it may be in the SGI's binary
package installation.

> Have you successfully built gcc on this host before

Yes I did many years ago, but just a one time installation, 'did not an
expert make. Many disk changes etc. in the interim caused  many
archetectural  features  to go unobserved, especially the 'gas' 'as'
nuance where the problem exist, I think. Even after reading the log, it
did not appear very obvious. It was not until I was searching the disk
that I found traces of an obsolete mips compiler with an 'as' that the
lights went on.
> Can you post your configure options?

I was using it with default settings - no options
> Can you execute as from the command line?

No
> If you can execute as and gcc from the command line, report results of
> the following:
>
>   which gcc

4.2.2
>   which as

Indeterminate, reinstalling with the version in the binutils-2.18 distro
> -Tom
>
> Tom Browder
> Niceville, Florida
> USA

I think I'll get it
Thanks again and my apologies for the confusion

PS: Perhaps the log could be re-written so that the naive or uninitiated
do not misconstrue the 'as' as an adjective  rather than  a noun,
despite  the quotes.

* Re: Installation Problem
@ 2007-11-28  2:09     ` Tom Browder
From: Tom Browder @ 2007-11-28  2:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Maxwell; +Cc: gcc-help

@ 2007-11-27 21:11     ` Sven Eschenberg
From: Sven Eschenberg @ 2007-11-27 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Maxwell; +Cc: gcc-help

Well, the output states:
gcc: installation problem, cannot exec `as': No such file or directory

Did you check if there is any as / gas ? Does it work properly?
And can you compil any small c programm by hand?

Because if gcc complains about the fact, that it cannot find any assembler,
it is obvious that it is not able to produce executeables, isn't it?

Regards

-Sven

* Re: Installation Problem
@ 2007-11-27 20:53     ` Kevin P. Fleming
From: Kevin P. Fleming @ 2007-11-27 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: gcc-help

Joseph Maxwell wrote:

> Perhaps there is decent kind 'soul' out there willing to take a look and
> see if a solution is easily recognizable
> log file =>
>
>    This file contains any messages produced by compilers while
>    running configure, to aid debugging if configure makes a mistake.
>
>    configure:630: checking host system type
>    configure:651: checking target system type
>    configure:669: checking build system type
>    configure:724: checking for a BSD compatible install
>    configure:777: checking whether ln works
>    configure:801: checking whether ln -s works
>    configure:1866: checking for gcc
>    configure:1979: checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works
>    configure:1995: gcc -o conftest    conftest.c  1>&5
>    gcc: installation problem, cannot exec `as': No such file or directory

This is a pretty clear error message, isn't it? GCC tried to execute a
program called 'as' (which is the GNU assembler from the binutils
package) and it was not available. GCC cannot produce output without an
assembler.

> But th problem persist, which seems to indicate that was not the problem

That is correct, it never was the problem.

* Re: Installation Problem
@ 2007-11-27 20:47   ` Joseph Maxwell
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Joseph Maxwell @ 2007-11-27 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Prince; +Cc: gcc-help

@ 2007-11-27  2:50 ` Tim Prince
From: Tim Prince @ 2007-11-27  2:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Maxwell; +Cc: gcc-help, gcc

@ 2007-11-26 21:06 ` John Love-Jensen
From: John Love-Jensen @ 2007-11-26 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joseph Maxwell, MSX to GCC

Hi Joseph,

> Could you advise?

Odd.  You have GCC 3.3 and GCC 3.4.6 installed.  Which one is referred to by
the 'gcc' command line command?  Does it work?  Can you create a runnable
executable with it?

GCC installation instructions:
http://gcc.gnu.org/install/

Also, did you run ./configure, or did you follow the GCC configure
instructions <http://gcc.gnu.org/install/configure.html> and build in a
different directory than than the GCC source code?

Building GCC in the source directory, or any subdirectory thereof, is not
supported.  You didn't supply that information, and it is one of the things
that trips people up sometimes, so I thought I'd ask.

This is a gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org question, not a gcc@gcc.gnu.org question.
I've removed gcc@gcc.gnu.org from the response list.

HTH,
--Eljay

* Installation Problem
@ 2007-11-26 20:11 Joseph Maxwell
From: Joseph Maxwell @ 2007-11-26 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help, gcc

I am attempting to install gcc-4.2.2 on an SGI Octane running IRIX 6.5.26
I untar'd the gcc-4.2.2.tar file in the target directory /usr/local/gcc4x
I went through the traditional 'configure' step as a prelude to the
'make install' step

That produced the following =>

   configure
    creating cache ./config.cache
    checking host system type... mips-sgi-irix6.5
    checking target system type... mips-sgi-irix6.5
    checking build system type... mips-sgi-irix6.5
    checking for a BSD compatible install... ./install-sh -c
    checking whether ln works... yes
    checking whether ln -s works... yes
    checking for gcc... gcc
    checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works... no
    configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler
cannot create executables.

I do have other prior version of gcc installed =>

    versions | grep gcc
    I  fw_gcc               06/05/2007  gcc-3.3 GNU Compiler Suite
    I  fw_gcc.man           06/05/2007  gcc-3.3 man pages
    I  fw_gcc.man.gcc       06/05/2007  gcc-3.3 man pages
    I  fw_gcc.man.info      06/05/2007  gcc-3.3 info pages
    I  fw_gcc.man.relnotes  06/05/2007  gcc-3.3 release notes
    I  fw_gcc.sw            06/05/2007  gcc-3.3 execution only env
    I  fw_gcc.sw.gcc        06/05/2007  gcc-3.3 execution only env
    I  fw_gcc.sw.libstdc++  06/05/2007  gcc-3.3 libstdc++-v3
    I  fw_gcc.sw.utils      06/05/2007  gcc-3.3 other languages, utilities
    I  neko_gcc             11/18/2007  gcc-3.4.6 GNU Compiler Collection
    I  neko_gcc.man         11/18/2007  gcc-3.4.6 man pages
    I  neko_gcc.man.gcc     11/18/2007  gcc-3.4.6 man pages
    I  neko_gcc.sw          11/18/2007  gcc-3.4.6 execution only env
    I  neko_gcc.sw.gcc      11/18/2007  gcc-3.4.6 execution only env
    I  neko_gcc.sw.utils    11/18/2007  gcc-3.4.6 other languages, utilities

Could you advise?

BTW: I would like to use the Fortran f77 or f95 compiler when installed,
are there any special nuances to observe?

Thanks!

* Re: Installation problem
@ 2001-05-20 14:14 ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 2001-05-20 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brad O'Hearne; +Cc: gcc-help

On May 20, 2001, "Brad O'Hearne" <brado@neurofire.com> wrote:

> ../libiberty/libiberty.a does not exist

> and the make aborts

You've probably configured only the gcc subdirectory, whereas you
should have configured the top-level directory.

* Installation problem
@ 2001-05-20 13:19 Brad O'Hearne
From: Brad O'Hearne @ 2001-05-20 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hello,

I am having a problem on RedHat Linux 7.0 when I try to execute the 'make
bootstrap' command.  I am not doing anything custom...I have configured and
I am building using all default options.  Configure works fine.  I then try
to execute the 'make bootstrap command, and get an error saying that the
file

../libiberty/libiberty.a does not exist

and the make aborts.  I have looked on-line and can't find a reference to
this.  Help please!  Also, I am not on any Gnu mailing lists, so please
reply directly to this email address...thanks!

BradO

* Re: Installation Problem
@ 2000-12-12  7:42 ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 2000-12-12  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharma Dipesh; +Cc: gcc-help

On Dec 12, 2000, Sharma Dipesh <dipeshraja@yahoo.com> wrote:

> How do I install GCC package downloaded from
> sunfreeware.com.

Why are you asking us (the GCC team), given that you didn't get them
from us?  There should be instructions in the download site.  If not,
complain to whoever maintains the site.

* Installation Problem
@ 2000-12-11 23:53 Sharma Dipesh
From: Sharma Dipesh @ 2000-12-11 23:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hello!

How do I install GCC package downloaded from
sunfreeware.com.

Downloaded file:- gcc2.95.2 ..... gz
Uncompressed to :- gcc2.95.2.../local

Now what to do next??