* Re: extremely disappointing bootstrap problems building gcc on linux :(
       [not found] <200305171200.h4HC0acA251822@e35.co.us.ibm.com>
@ 2003-05-19 19:37 ` Janis Johnson
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Janis Johnson @ 2003-05-19 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Sincock; +Cc: gcc-help, gcc-bugs

On Sat, May 17, 2003 at 09:29:57PM +0930, John Sincock wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I have tried unsuccessfully to build gcc 3.2.2 and now 3.3, on
> Mandrake 8.2 (with lots of updates).
>

> I am following the build procedure correctly, but it just doesnt work.

It looks as if you are building in the source directory; is that
correct?  The installation producedures strongly recommend that GCC be
built in a separate directory, e.g.

  mkdir objdir
  cd objdir
  ../gcc-3.3/configure ...
  make bootstrap
  make install

Sometimes building in the source directory works, but there are enough
weird problems that can happen with it that it's not recommended, and
there are once again discussions about whether it ought to be supported.

Janis

* Re: extremely disappointing bootstrap problems building gcc on linux :( (probably solved)
@ 2003-05-20 12:40   ` John Sincock
       [not found]   ` <200305201240.h4KCeR82101192@e6.ny.us.ibm.com>
From: John Sincock @ 2003-05-20 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Janis Johnson; +Cc: gcc-help, gcc-bugs

Hi Janis

Actually I wasnt building in the source directory. I was building in a
separate directory as recommended.

On Tuesday 20 May 2003 05:05 am, you wrote:
> It looks as if you are building in the source directory; is that
> correct?  The installation producedures strongly recommend that GCC be
> built in a separate directory, e.g.

Yesterday I managed to build just the 3.3 C compiler (using
--enable-languages=c), without any problems at all, using gcc 2.95.3 ...
So, it looks like it was just my glibc, ruining the bootstrap of g++:

The thing that threw me was the successful build report for 3.2.2,
from someone with mandrake 8.2, glibc-2.2.4-26.2mdk

So it looked to me as if my glibc-2.2.4-25mdk would probably
be ok...

I wouldnt have thought it likely there would be any important changes
between my glibc-2.2.4-25mdk and the successful glibc-2.2.4-26.2mdk
... obviously there is though.

I expect I will have no problems building the full gcc 3.3 with all
languages enabled, when i have upgraded my glibc and tried again.

I will probably do that this weekend and send in a quick report to this
list if it is succesful...

Thanks again to all who made any suggestions etc

John

From: John Sincock @ 2003-05-20 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Janis Johnson; +Cc: gcc-help, gcc-bugs

@ 2003-05-20 16:27     ` Janis Johnson
From: Janis Johnson @ 2003-05-20 16:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Sincock; +Cc: Janis Johnson, gcc-help, gcc-bugs

On Tue, May 20, 2003 at 10:10:14PM +0930, John Sincock wrote:
> I will probably do that this weekend and send in a quick report to this
> list if it is succesful...

To include your successful build in the GCC 3.3 build status list at
http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-3.3/buildstat.html, please follow the instructions
at the end of the installation instructions; that way your information
will be available to other people building on the same or a similar
platform.  In addition to the recommended information about your build
you can include any additional information that might be helpful,
including problems you encountered and how you got around them.

Janis