* Re: Is gcc 3.3 the same as Solaris 2.6 (SUNOS 5.6)
@ 2003-09-12 14:57 Adam Stein
From: Adam Stein @ 2003-09-12 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help, david.kelly

Gcc 3.3     = C/C++ compiler (independent of any OS)
SunOS 5.6   = Sun's version of the Unix OS
Solaris 2.6 = Sun's computing environment (SunOS + windowing system + anything
              else needed to make a complete system)

So no, they are not the same thing.  You can either compile gcc for a Solaris
2.6 system, or there is probably one already compiled somewhere (check
sunfreeware.com, don't know if they would have gcc3.3 compiled for Solaris 2.6).

                                                Adam Stein
--
Adam Stein @ Xerox Corporation       Email: adam@scan.mc.xerox.com

Disclaimer: All views expressed
here have been proved to be my own.  [http://www.csh.rit.edu/~adam/]

@ 2003-09-12 17:51 ` Rupert Wood
From: Rupert Wood @ 2003-09-12 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Kelly, David'; +Cc: gcc-help

David Kelly wrote:

> I have a requirement for SunOS 5.6 which is no longer being made.

If you're developing an app that has to be 5.6 compatible or if your
hardware is so old that newer Solaris versions don't run on it, you should
get it touch with Sun - they're generally very helpful. You can probably
find a copy of the media on ebay or similar but unless you already have the
licence for it you're on shaky ground.

Otherwise, please consider running a newer Solaris. You should be able to
download SunOS 5.8 or 5.9 from http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/ for a
small fee - $20 last I checked. Solaris, like other commercial unixes, are
generally very good at backward compatibility - if you need 5.6 because you
need to run software that says it wants 5.6 then it will almost certainly
work on 5.8 or 5.9. (And if it doesn't, you've only cost yourself $20 or so
to get the latest Solaris.)

The other scenario I can think of is that you have some software that you
need to run which the vendor won't support past SunOS 5.6. I'd hope this
isn't the case but you should contact the vendor and they'll almost
certainly have tested later versions. 5.7 is at least three years old now; I
don't know how old 5.6 is.

If you're still having trouble, you could try asking on one of the sun
newsgroups - that'd be more appropriate than here. I'd suggest
sunmanagers.org as *the* difficult Solaris questions mailing list, but they
prefer urgent, complex questions from serious admins and your GCC / SunOS
question was a bit clueless :-/

Good luck sorting this,
Rup.

* Re: Is gcc 3.3 the same as Solaris 2.6 (SUNOS 5.6)
@ 2003-09-12 17:11 ` Ishwar Rattan
From: Ishwar Rattan @ 2003-09-12 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kelly, David; +Cc: 'gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org'

NO it is not. Solaris is an OS and gcc an application that can
run under Solaris.

-ishwar

@ 2003-09-12 14:51 Kelly, David
From: Kelly, David @ 2003-09-12 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)