* Re: [tree-ssa, cvs] spec failure: unrecognized spec option'<'
@ 2003-11-09 18:46 Dara Hazeghi
From: Dara Hazeghi @ 2003-11-09 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: melvin.hadasht; +Cc: gcc-help

Hello

> Ok, thanks for checking: on my pII 266,
> compilation is not instantaneous.

Yeah, gcc compile time isn't exactly spectacular :-)

>Reading specs from ./specs
>Configured with:
/usr/local/src/cvs/gcc-3.3.2/>configure
>Thread model: posix
>gcc driver version 3.3.2 executing gcc version
>3.5-tree-ssa

See this is what's weird, and symptomatic of a broken
installation. For some reason, your 3.3.2 driver is
running the 3.5 compiler. I'm guessing the 3.3.x
driver is less forgiving about spec file typos,
hence...

>gcc: spec failure: unrecognized spec option '<'

If you go to the prefix where you installed 3.3.x, and
do a find on cc1, what do you get? More importantly,
if you run that cc1, what version does it say it is?
Also, what is you $PATH?

>Concerning the ./specs file, removing the >"%<mcpu=*"
is not sufficient,
>a closing brace "}" must also be adjusted.

Right.

>I don't have any idea on how to find where the
>problem is, but I'm willing to do any tests.
>Should I file a bug report?

You can certainly file a bug report, mentioning the
typo in specs, and give the particulars. The other
error your seeing is more likely part of a screwed up
installation (could also be a bug...).

If you want to find what's causing the bug, you can
try to figure out what makefile rule generates
gcc/specs (in your build directory), and so figuree
out where the original typo comes from. I'll also take
a look this afternoon and see what I can come up
with...

Cheers,

Dara

P.S. Please cc: replies, since I'm not subscribed to gcc-help@...

http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree

* Re: [tree-ssa, cvs] spec failure: unrecognized spec option'<'
@ 2003-11-09 21:25 ` Melvin Hadasht
From: Melvin Hadasht @ 2003-11-09 21:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help; +Cc: Dara Hazeghi

Hi,

I did some more tests:
Configuring with --enable-languages=c (without c++ or f95), and doing
a make (no bootstrap) compiles correctly (but the specs did have the bug).
 I'm currently doing a bootstrap to test. (I'm still using tree-ssa from
cvs 2003-11-07 13:20 UTC)

>>Reading specs from ./specs
>>Configured with:
>>/usr/local/src/cvs/gcc-3.3.2/>configure
>>Thread model: posix
>>gcc driver version 3.3.2 executing gcc version
>>3.5-tree-ssa

>See this is what's weird, and symptomatic of a broken
>installation. For some reason, your 3.3.2 driver is
>running the 3.5 compiler.

Yes, it reads the ./specs it has found. According to the command line
that triggered the error (file attached in my original post), I don't see
why it reads the specs from the current directory.

Testing just gcc -v in a directory containing an empty specs shows
that gcc (3.3.2) reads the specs from that file. So it seems that gcc
searches for the specs in the current directory first. Is this expected?
If yes, then that would explain the above. And 3.3.2 being more
strict in reading the specs, it will also explain why I have the error.
So I assume you do not use 3.3.2 to compile tree-ssa?

>I'm guessing the 3.3.x
>driver is less forgiving about spec file typos,
>hence...

>>gcc: spec failure: unrecognized spec option '<'

>If you go to the prefix where you installed 3.3.x, and
>do a find on cc1, what do you get?
cd /usr/local
find -name 'cc1'
./lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/2.95.4/cc1
./lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.2/cc1

>More importantly,
>if you run that cc1, what version does it say it is?
>Also, what is you $PATH?

/usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.2/cc1 --version
GNU C version 3.3.2 (i686-pc-linux-gnu)
        compiled by GNU C version 3.3.2.
GGC heuristics: --param ggc-min-expand=38 --param ggc-min-heapsize=15861

which gcc
/usr/local/bin/gcc

/usr/local/bin/gcc -v
Reading specs from /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.2/specs
Configured with: /hannibal/src/cvs/gcc-3.3.2/configure
Thread model: posix
gcc version 3.3.2

echo $PATH
/usr/local/qt/bin:/home/mhadasht/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/bin:/usr/local/nmh/bin:/usr/games/bin:/usr/games:.:/usr/local/teTeX/bin:/usr/local/MuPAD20/share/bin:/usr/local/mysql/bin

> You can certainly file a bug report, mentioning the
> typo in specs, and give the particulars. The other
> error your seeing is more likely part of a screwed up
> installation (could also be a bug...).

Ok, I'll do some other tests and I'll file a bug report.

> If you want to find what's causing the bug, you can
> try to figure out what makefile rule generates
> gcc/specs (in your build directory), and so figuree
> out where the original typo comes from.

I'll try that.

>  I'll also take
> a look this afternoon and see what I can come up
> with...

Ok, thanks for you help.

Cheers,

Melvin

> P.S. Please cc: replies, since I'm not subscribed to gcc-help@...
Sorry. Done!

* Re: [tree-ssa, cvs] spec failure: unrecognized spec option'<'
@ 2003-11-10  2:15   ` Dara Hazeghi
From: Dara Hazeghi @ 2003-11-10  2:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Melvin Hadasht; +Cc: gcc-help

Hello,

> I did some more tests:
> Configuring with --enable-languages=c (without c++
> or f95), and doing
> a make (no bootstrap) compiles correctly (but the
> specs did have the bug).
>  I'm currently doing a bootstrap to test. (I'm still
> using tree-ssa from
> cvs 2003-11-07 13:20 UTC)

So here's a question. If you can get it to the point
where it fails again, would you mind running that
final failing commandline, but gradually trimming off
options, and experimenting, to see what it can be
reduced to? Hopefully this won't require a full
bootstrap...

I think this approach is most likely to find out why
the 3.3 driver is invoking the newly built 3.5
compiler.

Oh, as for the typo, I figured out where it was coming
from, and sent a message to the main gcc list.
Hopefully somebody will apply a patch for it soon (if
not I'll open a bug report to remind them).

Cheers,

Dara

@ 2003-11-10 18:19     ` Melvin Hadasht
From: Melvin Hadasht @ 2003-11-10 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help; +Cc: Dara Hazeghi

Hi Dara,

> Oh, as for the typo, I figured out where it was coming
> from, and sent a message to the main gcc list.
> Hopefully somebody will apply a patch for it soon (if
> not I'll open a bug report to remind them).

Ok, I read the thread on gcc. The threads concludes that
there is no bug in the specs and the "<" thing is expected.
The problem is that my gcc-3.3.2 reads the specs in the
current directory, which is not expected.
So it looks definitely as a problem
with my gcc-3.3.2, or my build environment. I'll try to install
another gcc from rpms and not from source (that is new to me :) ).
So I won't post a bug report, as there is no bug.

Thank you very much for your help.

Best regards,

Melvin

--
Melvin Hadasht

* Re: [tree-ssa, cvs] spec failure: unrecognized spec option'<'
@ 2003-11-11  7:25       ` Dara Hazeghi
From: Dara Hazeghi @ 2003-11-11  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Melvin Hadasht, gcc-help

--- Melvin Hadasht <melvin.hadasht@free.fr> wrote:
Hello,

> Ok, I read the thread on gcc. The threads
> concludes that there is no bug in the specs and >
the "<" thing is expected. The problem is that
> my gcc-3.3.2 reads the specs in the  current
> directory, which is not expected.

Yeah, that seems to be the situation. Good luck
installing from rpms. If you have any more problems,
by all means report back though. GCC may not be
trivial to install, but we try not to make it too
impossible!

Dara

http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree

* Re: [tree-ssa, cvs] (cleaner workaround) spec failure: unrecognized spec option'<'
@ 2003-11-13  7:11         ` Melvin Hadasht
From: Melvin Hadasht @ 2003-11-13  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dara Hazeghi, gcc-help

Dara wrote:

> --- Melvin Hadasht <melvin.hadasht@free.fr> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> > Ok, I read the thread on gcc. The threads
> > concludes that there is no bug in the specs and >
> the "<" thing is expected. The problem is that
> > my gcc-3.3.2 reads the specs in the  current
> > directory, which is not expected.
>
> Yeah, that seems to be the situation. Good luck
> installing from rpms. If you have any more problems,
> by all means report back though. GCC may not be
> trivial to install, but we try not to make it too
> impossible!

Hi,

I could not find out why my self-compiled compilers always
use the specs file that they can find in the work-directory.
I wanted to try rpms, but my basis distro is suse 6.2 (quite old) + self compiled
packages. It does not like me to use rpms. So I could not test
with compilers built by other people. I am doomed...

Clean Workaround:
Anyway, my workaround is to specify CC="gcc -specs=PATH_TO_GCC_SPECS"
where PATH_TO_GCC_SPECS is the specs file from the gcc compiler
I use to compile tree-ssa. This is to avoid modifying the generated specs file.

I hope this would help any other strange person that is doomed like me.

GCC was always easy for me to install. I only needed to follow the clear
instructions on the gcc.gnu.org. I even managed to compile
the fortran 95 front-end before it was merged to tree-ssa...
--
Melvin Hadasht

* Re: [tree-ssa, cvs] (cleaner workaround) spec failure: unrecognized spec option'<'
@ 2003-11-14  8:02           ` Dara Hazeghi
From: Dara Hazeghi @ 2003-11-14  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Melvin Hadasht, gcc-help

Hello,

--- Melvin Hadasht <melvin.hadasht@free.fr> wrote:
> I could not find out why my self-compiled compilers
> always
> use the specs file that they can find in the
> work-directory.
> I wanted to try rpms, but my basis distro is suse
> 6.2 (quite old) + self compiled
> packages. It does not like me to use rpms. So I
> could not test
> with compilers built by other people. I am doomed...

That's unfortunate. I vaguely remember somebody with
Mandrake 7 had a similar problem. What's the base
version of gcc in SUSE 6.2?

> Clean Workaround:
> Anyway, my workaround is to specify CC="gcc
> -specs=PATH_TO_GCC_SPECS"
> where PATH_TO_GCC_SPECS is the specs file from the
> gcc compiler
> I use to compile tree-ssa. This is to avoid
> modifying the generated specs file.

Clever. Just to clarify, with your newly built
compiler, will it still pick up the wrong specs if you
try and rebuild gcc?

Cheers,

Dara

@ 2003-11-14 11:54             ` Melvin Hadasht
From: Melvin Hadasht @ 2003-11-14 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dara Hazeghi, gcc-help

> Hello,
>
> --- Melvin Hadasht <melvin.hadasht@free.fr> wrote:
> > I could not find out why my self-compiled compilers
> > always
> > use the specs file that they can find in the
> > work-directory.
> > I wanted to try rpms, but my basis distro is suse
> > 6.2 (quite old) + self compiled
> > packages. It does not like me to use rpms. So I
> > could not test
> > with compilers built by other people. I am doomed...
>
> That's unfortunate. I vaguely remember somebody with
> Mandrake 7 had a similar problem. What's the base
> version of gcc in SUSE 6.2?

egcs 2.91.66 IIRC. But I build with another compiler installed in
prefix /usr/local/ (3.3.2)

I could build 2.95.3, but it reads the specs from working directory, too.
but...

> Clever. Just to clarify, with your newly built
> compiler, will it still pick up the wrong specs if you
> try and rebuild gcc?

... the newly compiled tree-ssa with the clean workaround ignores
the current working directory:
touch ./specs
/usr/local/gcc-ssa/bin/gcc -v
Reading specs from /usr/local/gcc-ssa/bin/../lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.5-tree-ssa/specs
Configured with: /usr/local/src/cvs/gcc/configure --enable-languages=c,c++,f95,objc --prefix=/usr/local/gcc-ssa
Thread model: posix
gcc version 3.5-tree-ssa 20031113 (merged 20031111)

(I could not use tree-ssa to rebuild another tree-ssa, because I had some
compiler error --I did not bootstrap before)

I could not find where and how gcc looks for specs, so I did not investigate
further.

* Re: [tree-ssa, cvs] (cleaner workaround) spec failure: unrecognized spec option'<'
@ 2003-11-14 16:45               ` Dara Hazeghi
From: Dara Hazeghi @ 2003-11-14 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Melvin Hadasht, gcc-help

--- Melvin Hadasht <melvin.hadasht@free.fr> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > --- Melvin Hadasht <melvin.hadasht@free.fr> wrote:
> > > I could not find out why my self-compiled
> compilers
> > > always
> > > use the specs file that they can find in the
> > > work-directory.
> > > I wanted to try rpms, but my basis distro is
> suse
> > > 6.2 (quite old) + self compiled
> > > packages. It does not like me to use rpms. So I
> > > could not test
> > > with compilers built by other people. I am
> doomed...
> >
> > That's unfortunate. I vaguely remember somebody
> with
> > Mandrake 7 had a similar problem. What's the base
> > version of gcc in SUSE 6.2?
>
> egcs 2.91.66 IIRC. But I build with another compiler
> installed in
> prefix /usr/local/ (3.3.2)
>
> I could build 2.95.3, but it reads the specs from
> working directory, too.
> but...
>
> > Clever. Just to clarify, with your newly built
> > compiler, will it still pick up the wrong specs if
> you
> > try and rebuild gcc?
>
> ... the newly compiled tree-ssa with the clean
> workaround ignores
> the current working directory:
> touch ./specs
> /usr/local/gcc-ssa/bin/gcc -v
> Reading specs from

/usr/local/gcc-ssa/bin/../lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.5-tree-ssa/specs
> Configured with: /usr/local/src/cvs/gcc/configure
> --enable-languages=c,c++,f95,objc
> --prefix=/usr/local/gcc-ssa
> Thread model: posix
> gcc version 3.5-tree-ssa 20031113 (merged 20031111)
>
> (I could not use tree-ssa to rebuild another
> tree-ssa, because I had some
> compiler error --I did not bootstrap before)

That sounds like a bug (if you want, feel free to
start another thread for it)... But the original
problem is solved. Good.

Cheers,

Dara

@ 2003-11-08 19:27 Dara Hazeghi
From: Dara Hazeghi @ 2003-11-08 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: melvin.hadasht; +Cc: gcc-help

Hello,

I just checked on mainline cvs, and the same problem's
there. However on 3.3 branch it looks fine. I'm
guessing this was introduced when Neil rewrotes
specs/options handling on mainline.

Dara

P.S. I'm still puzzled with the error you get though
(I see nothing)...

@ 2003-11-08 18:09 ` Melvin Hadasht
From: Melvin Hadasht @ 2003-11-08 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

On Sat Nov 08, at 11:14, Dara wrote:

> looks like you found a bug. For me though, I only see
> it by visual inspection, ie I don't get any error
> building. Still, it looks like a bug in either case.
> File a report through bugzilla (or I will, if I get a
> chance). Thanks,

I'll try to recompile gcc-3.3.2 to see if I have the same problem before
submitting a bug report.

Thanks.

--
Melvin Hadasht

* Re: [tree-ssa, cvs] spec failure: unrecognized spec option '<'
@ 2003-11-08 11:14 Dara Hazeghi
From: Dara Hazeghi @ 2003-11-08 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: melvin.hadasht; +Cc: gcc-help

Hello,