* Re: Where is header Files
       [not found] <200311162243.hAGMh2n22363@prinz.cs.uni-magdeburg.de>
@ 2003-11-17 15:04 ` Claudio Bley
From: Claudio Bley @ 2003-11-17 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: calvesmit; +Cc: gcc-help, calves

On Sun, Nov 16, 2003 at 08:42:58PM -0200, calvesmit@ig.com.br wrote:
> I just installed Conectiva 9.0, a brazilian distribution of linux, and can't
> compile the simple "Hello, World!" program using gcc.
> The reason: It seems the system came without standard header files (very
> strange, I know :(, but it's right so!).
> I tried to find such files using mc and got no success (I did look for in
> hole directory tree).
> So my question: Where can I get and how can I install the standard header
> files?!

If I remember correctly Conectiva is a RPM based system and you should just
install the appropriate glibc-devel RPM from one of your install
CDs. Of course, you can also have a look at http://rpmfind.net and
search for such a RPM for your distribution/system.

But, the really strange thing is that it seems you've installed GCC
without having the C headers installed. How did you do that? This
should be virtually impossible when using a package management system.

--
Claudio Bley                                 ASCII ribbon campaign (")
Debian GNU/Linux user                         - against HTML email  X

* RE: Where is header Files
@ 2003-11-18 18:00 lrtaylor
From: lrtaylor @ 2003-11-18 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: calvesmit, bley, gcc-help; +Cc: calves

Your Linux distribution probably did come with a compiler; it just did
not get installed.  Oftentimes you can choose what type of installation
to do (e.g., workstation install, developer install, server install,
etc.), and the installer will just install the most commonly used
programs for that type of installation.  It probably works out that the
type of install that you selected didn't install development related
files.  It almost certainly didn't install everything on the CDs - that
almost never happens by default.  The fact that the glibc headers didn't
get installed while GCC did was probably an oversight on the part of
Connectiva.

Also, you tried to install glibc with the apt-get command you used, but
what you needed to try to install is glibc-devel.  Probably everything
you need is on your CDs.  You should get familiar with the CDs and how
your distribution handles software installation (for example, does it
use RPMs, Debian packages, etc.?).  Once you know that, you should be
able to find everything that you need to compiler programs for your
system on the CDs.

Good luck,
Lyle

From: Claudio Bley @ 2003-11-17 23:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alves, Carlos Alberto - Coelce; +Cc: gcc-help

On Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 03:35:02PM -0300, Alves, Carlos Alberto - Coelce wrote:
> I also tried
>
> apt-get install glibc
>
> using suchs CD's and system says I already have last glibc version
> installed!

Try "apt-get install glibc-devel" or "apt-get install glibc-dev".

> One more thing:
> besides http://rpmfind.net, where else can I get rpm's of gcc to Conectiva?!

Sorry, I really don't know. Maybe somewhere from Conectiva's ftp/http sites?

--
Claudio Bley                                 ASCII ribbon campaign (")
Debian GNU/Linux user                         - against HTML email  X
http://www.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/~bley/                     & vCards / \

* Where is header Files
@ 2003-11-16 22:42 calvesmit
From: calvesmit @ 2003-11-16 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help; +Cc: calves

I just installed Conectiva 9.0, a brazilian distribution of linux, and can't
compile the simple "Hello, World!" program using gcc.
The reason: It seems the system came without standard header files (very
strange, I know :(, but it's right so!).
I tried to find such files using mc and got no success (I did look for in
hole directory tree).
So my question: Where can I get and how can I install the standard header
files?!
Answears to calvesmit@ig.com.br or calves@coelce.com.br, because I'm not a
subscribe of your list

Thanks,
Carlos Alberto

Voce quer um iGMail protegido contra vírus e spams?
Clique aqui: http://www.igmailseguro.ig.com.br
Ofertas imperdíveis! Link: http://www.americanas.com.br/ig/

* Where is header Files
@ 2003-11-16 22:42 calvesmit