* Xine error
@ 2003-11-18  1:58 Ode Pero
From: Ode Pero @ 2003-11-18  1:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi, i am very newbies with Linux, i need help.  At the moment i'm trying
to install xine player, but when i try to compile the following error
occurs:
[root@localhost xine-lib-1-rc2]# ./configure
checking build system type... i686-pc-linux-gnuoldld
checking host system type... i686-pc-linux-gnuoldld
checking target system type... i686-pc-linux-gnuoldld
checking for gawk... gawk
checking for gcc... no
checking for cc... no
checking for cc... no
checking for cl... no
configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
See `config.log' for more details.

someone told me that i have to download gcc, is that right? where and
how can i get it? please help...

thanks in advance.

/ode

* Re: Xine error
@ 2003-11-18 14:04 ` Claudio Bley
From: Claudio Bley @ 2003-11-18 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ode Pero; +Cc: gcc-help

On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 08:58:10AM +0700, Ode Pero wrote:
> Hi, i am very newbies with Linux, i need help.  At the moment i'm trying
> to install xine player, but when i try to compile the following error
> occurs:
> [root@localhost xine-lib-1-rc2]# ./configure
> checking build system type... i686-pc-linux-gnuoldld
> checking host system type... i686-pc-linux-gnuoldld
> checking target system type... i686-pc-linux-gnuoldld
> checking for gawk... gawk
> checking for gcc... no
> checking for cc... no
> checking for cc... no
> checking for cl... no
> configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
> See `config.log' for more details.
>
> someone told me that i have to download gcc, is that right?

Well, in order to *compile* a program you need a *compiler* of course.
GCC is a compiler (a compiler collection, actually). So, yes you
may use GCC to compile xine.

> where and
> how can i get it? please help...

Have a look on your Linux CDs. Any good Vendor usually should ship
GCC with its distribution.

What kind of distribution are you using? Look at your vendor's site
whether it provides a download facility.

If your system is RPM based, have a look at http://rpmfind.net and
search for a GCC package according to your distribution/system.

If your system is a based on Debian or you have the apt-get program
installed. Just do 'apt-get install gcc-3.3' for example.

Have a look in your distro's manual on how to install
packages/software and how to update your system. Btw, there may be as
well a binary package for xine somewhere on your CDs or apt-get'able.

Also, http://gcc.gnu.org/install/binaries.html lists links to
pre-compiled versions of GCC.

HTH

--
Claudio Bley                                 ASCII ribbon campaign (")
Debian GNU/Linux user                         - against HTML email  X