* Re: building C++ shared libs for systems w/o gcc installed
       [not found] <5.2.1.1.0.20031120125316.015c60e8@iplan-mn.corp.adobe.com>
@ 2003-11-20 21:31 ` Dave O'Hair
From: Dave O'Hair @ 2003-11-20 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eljay Love-Jensen; +Cc: gcc-help

I think that did the trick.  I downloaded and built
the gnu libtools for Solaris 8 and used its linker
instead of the native linker, with the --whole-archive
option, and it doesn't seem to need libstdc++.so
anymore.  Thanks for the help, I owe you a sixpack :)

--- Eljay Love-Jensen <eljay@adobe.com> wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> The GNU linker is not part of GCC.
>
> The GNU linker "ld" is part of binutils,
> <http://www.gnu.org/directory/GNU/binutils.html>.
>
> HTH,
> --Eljay

Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
http://companion.yahoo.com/

* Re: building C++ shared libs for systems w/o gcc installed
@ 2003-11-20 18:03   ` Dave O'Hair
From: Dave O'Hair @ 2003-11-20 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eljay Love-Jensen, gcc-help

No, the Solaris /bin/ld doesn't support that option,
or anything like it as far as I can tell.  But that's
exactly what I need.  Is there a corresponding
parameter for the Solaris linker?

@ 2003-11-20 17:47 ` Eljay Love-Jensen
From: Eljay Love-Jensen @ 2003-11-20 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave O'Hair, gcc-help

@ 2003-11-20 17:36 Dave O'Hair
From: Dave O'Hair @ 2003-11-20 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

I am trying to build a C++ shared lib using gcc/g++
3.2 on Solaris 8.
Everything works fine until I try to load it on a
machine that does not
have gcc installed at all, or has an older version
installed (2.95).
It complains that the library "libstdc++.so" isn't
found (indeed it is
not there).

So I want to link the shared lib with static linking
of the g++ runtime
libs.  I did this with the following link command:

g++ -shared -nodefaultlib $(OBJS)
/usr/local/lib/libstdc++.a /usr/local/lib/libsupc++.a

The link worked fine but when the program tries to
load (dlopen) the
shared lib, it fails with:

relocation error:  symbol __gxx_personality_v0:
referenced symbol not found

This symbol is in libstdc++.a but it doesn't get
copied into the shared lib.
Is there a way to force the linker to load everything
in libstdc++.a into the shared lib?

Are there any resources out there explaining how to
build C++ shared libs using
gcc/g++ for delivery to systems which don't have gcc
installed?