* FW: TS-Linux
@ 2004-10-07 17:55 The Wells Family
From: The Wells Family @ 2004-10-07 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

We are building a robot and are running TS-Linux on it (I believe it is a
variant of redhat).  The point is we do have much space on the robot but we
want to add the ability to compile C/C++ programs using makefiles.  I am not
sure where to download just these components or how to get them installed.
Where should we start?  Thanks.

Dan

* Re: FW: TS-Linux
       [not found] <200410071536.i97Fa1j06489@redpinesignals.com>
@ 2004-10-07 18:20 ` Sriharsha Vedurmudi
From: Sriharsha Vedurmudi @ 2004-10-07 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc

The Wells Family wrote:

>We are building a robot and are running TS-Linux on it (I believe it is a
>variant of redhat).  The point is we do have much space on the robot but we
>want to add the ability to compile C/C++ programs using makefiles.  I am not
>sure where to download just these components or how to get them installed.
>Where should we start?  Thanks.

1. Use RT-Linux/uCOS/ThreadX/QNX or a similar RTOS for robots/real-time
applications.
2. If it already does not come pre-installed with the compiler you are
looking for, see if GNU GCC supports that platform/processor. If it
does, the best thing is to build gcc with ONLY C front end enabled and
also remove unwanted/unnecessary options.
3. If it does not come with GNU GCC or if GCC does not support that
processor/platform, you need to port it to that processor.

So, first you visit GNU site gcc.gnu.org and check if your processor is
supported. If not, search the net for any C compiler that does. When
everything fails, in your interest, you can start a Porting Project (if
it is worthy enough for your project).

Cheers,
Harsha.

--