From: sashti srinivasan <svasn_tcpip@yahoo.co.in>
To: Sriharsha <sriharsha.v@redpinesignals.com>
Cc: gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: custom CPU porting : guidance please
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 18:25:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Hello,
     Million thanks for your guidance.  I hope I'm
slowly understanding the big picture.  I got a few
other doubts, guidance will be very helpful.

  (1)  I suppose that 'gas' is much more machine
dependent than gcc.  Please guide me regarding where
can I find documents regarding how to port 'gas' to a
new CPU.

  (2)  Since rest of the utilities in binutils have
more to do with binary format than with architecture,
porting these(ld,nm,ar....) to a new CPU is going to
be farily simple.  Am I right?

  (3)  I like to port GDB also.  Please give me
pointers where I can find the corresponding
documentation.

  (4)  As a first step, I want to develop a gdb
simulator for the new CPU I have in mind.  Where can I
find the documentation describing how to write a
simulator.

  (5)  In porting GCC tool-chain to a new CPU
architecture, or in otherwords developing cross
tool-chain for a new CPU architecture, I assume that
following is the most appropriate sequence:
     (a)  Develop a simulator so that executables for
the new CPU can be run using GDB
     (b)  Port as so that programs can be written in
the assembly language of the CPU and assembled.
     (c)  Port gcc so that c programs can be written
to run on the target CPU
  Is this sequence correct?

Thanks in advance
Srinivasan