* Gcov for user level application
@ 2005-07-19  6:55 Ringo Pebam
From: Ringo Pebam @ 2005-07-19  6:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi,

I compile my user level application code on my host machine with the appropiate
cross compiler.

It generates the .bb and .bbg files plus the executable.

I transfer these 3 files to the target device and there i tried running the
executable, hoping to get the .da file. But it is not generated.

I thought the kernel running on the target(arm9 processor) doesnt supports gcov
for user level application, and went to makemenuconfig, there the option is only
for kernel and not user level applications.

Could you please suggest me how should make Gcov work on my target device ??

I am thinking of cross compiling the gcov source and put it on the target
device. Could anybody tell me where i could find the gcov source code ?

Regards,
Ringo

http://mail.yahoo.com

* Re: Gcov for user level application
@ 2005-08-02 17:02 ` Nathan Sidwell
From: Nathan Sidwell @ 2005-08-02 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ringo Pebam; +Cc: gcc-help

Ringo Pebam wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I compile my user level application code on my host machine with the appropiate
> cross compiler.
>
> It generates the .bb and .bbg files plus the executable.
>
> I transfer these 3 files to the target device and there i tried running the
> executable, hoping to get the .da file. But it is not generated.

you only need the exectuable on the target.  It should produce the .da file
whetehr or not the other files are there.  Can your target write to a file?

> I thought the kernel running on the target(arm9 processor) doesnt supports gcov
> for user level application, and went to makemenuconfig, there the option is only
> for kernel and not user level applications.

this is not a kernel feature.

> Could you please suggest me how should make Gcov work on my target device ??
>
> I am thinking of cross compiling the gcov source and put it on the target
> device. Could anybody tell me where i could find the gcov source code ?

It sounds like the target cannot create files on the file system.  That would be
a libc issue.

nathan