* Re: Unaligned access to packed structs on ppc405
@ 2006-01-29 17:16 David Edelsohn
From: David Edelsohn @ 2006-01-29 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yaro Pollak; +Cc: gcc-help

> I am cross-compiling on GCC 3.4.1 for the PowerPC 405, which can handle
> unaligned accesses in hardware.
> Whenever I am accessing members of a packed bit-struct by pointer, the
> compiler produces byte accesses, instead of 4-byte acceses.
> I've tried to use |-mstrict-align but to no avail.

	What does "|-mstrict-align" mean?  -mstrict-align means "do not
assume that unaligned accesses are handled by the system."  You are
requesting that the compiler assume the target requires strict alignment
and then questioning why it is accessing a packed bit-struct assuming the
least alignment.

David

* Re: Unaligned access to packed structs on ppc405
@ 2006-01-30 12:03 ` Yaro Pollak
From: Yaro Pollak @ 2006-01-30 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Edelsohn; +Cc: gcc-help

David Edelsohn wrote:

>>I am cross-compiling on GCC 3.4.1 for the PowerPC 405, which can handle
>>unaligned accesses in hardware.
>>Whenever I am accessing members of a packed bit-struct by pointer, the
>>compiler produces byte accesses, instead of 4-byte acceses.
>>I've tried to use |-mstrict-align but to no avail.
>>

>	What does "|-mstrict-align" mean?  -mstrict-align means "do not
>assume that unaligned accesses are handled by the system."  You are
>requesting that the compiler assume the target requires strict alignment
>and then questioning why it is accessing a packed bit-struct assuming the
>least alignment.
>
>David

Yes, I actually couldn't tell whether I should use -mno-strict-align or
-mstrict-align from the explanation in GCC documentation (thank you for
your explanation) so I tried both, but it didn't matter at all. I guess
I should have mentioned that before. Perhaps any other ideas? I feel it
is something fundamental that I keep missing.

Yaro

* Re: Unaligned access to packed structs on ppc405
@ 2006-02-02 16:13   ` David Edelsohn
From: David Edelsohn @ 2006-02-02 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yaro Pollak; +Cc: gcc-help

Yaro> Yes, I actually couldn't tell whether I should use -mno-strict-align or
Yaro> -mstrict-align from the explanation in GCC documentation (thank you for
Yaro> your explanation) so I tried both, but it didn't matter at all. I guess
Yaro> I should have mentioned that before. Perhaps any other ideas? I feel it
Yaro> is something fundamental that I keep missing.

	Can you provide a small function and command-line option used to
compile the function that demonstrates the problem?

David

* Re: Unaligned access to packed structs on ppc405
@ 2006-02-06 10:18   ` Yaro Pollak
From: Yaro Pollak @ 2006-02-06 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Edelsohn, gcc-help

What seems odd to me is that packed structures accesses are inherently
less efficient than non-packed structures.
In my example, the 3 lbz instructions instead of one lwz require 3
memory accesses instead of 1, that is a penalty of 2 extra memory access
over the slow bus, and in addition to that there is extra penalty when
the bit field overlaps byte boundary (as in my example), where GCC must
generate extra code to "or" those bytes, which, BTW, in my opinion
contradicts what you wrote earlier:

David Edelsohn wrote:
" The lbz has to do with the size and the packed alignment. With the
packed structure, GCC chooses the smallest memory access that covers the
bitfield. Once GCC has chosen bytes, it cannot merge the loads together.
If the structure were not declared packed, GCC would use wider loads
with masking, and then determine that the loads refer to the same object."

In my case it shouldn't have chosen byte because it doesn't cover the bitfield that spans over byte boundary. I don't know whether what GCC does is "Right", and I guess if it was implemented in 4.1 somebody decided that it was "Right", but, if the code generated is 3 times the instruction count, and 3 times the memory accesses, for no apparent reason, then I can't see any reason why anyone would want this behavior. I mean the code produced in 4.0.1 for the same structure accessed not through a pointer is just fine, why break it like that? Something just doesn't seem right, I'm sorry.

I think I can summarize it by saying that if it's less efficient then
there is no justification for it.

Yaro

@ 2006-02-05 21:02 ` David Edelsohn
From: David Edelsohn @ 2006-02-05 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Yates; +Cc: Yaro Pollak, gcc-help

@ 2006-02-05 18:35 John Yates
From: John Yates @ 2006-02-05 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Edelsohn, Yaro Pollak; +Cc: gcc-help

David,

Do I read this correctly?  Are you truly saying that two structs
with identical layout will trigger different code sequences just
because one was declared packed?

(This is just the sort of thing that drives me crazy when trying
to coax a compiler into producing good code.)

/john

	That is an artifact of the example.  If I declare "pt" as a global
variable, GCC 4.1 prerelease produces three lbz.

@ 2006-02-04  4:25 ` David Edelsohn
From: David Edelsohn @ 2006-02-04  4:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yaro Pollak; +Cc: gcc-help

@ 2006-01-30 16:26 ` Yaro Pollak
From: Yaro Pollak @ 2006-01-30 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Jones; +Cc: gcc-help

Matthew Jones wrote:

>>From: Yaro Pollak
>>
>>Greetings,
>>I am cross-compiling on GCC 3.4.1 for the PowerPC 405,
>>which can handle unaligned accesses in hardware.
>>Whenever I am accessing members of a packed bit-struct by
>>pointer, the  compiler produces byte accesses, instead of
>>4-byte acceses. I've tried to use |-mstrict-align but to
>>no avail. Am I doing something wrong?
>>

>Are you sure it is the compiler? Are you looking at the generated
>assembler, or inferring this from a logic analyser? If its the
>second case, it could be the uP rather than gcc.

I'm sorry I failed to mention that as well, but I am in fact looking at
the generated assembler, vs. the assembler generated when I am accessing
the members of the struct directly (not through a pointer).

Yaro

* RE: Unaligned access to packed structs on ppc405
@ 2006-01-30 16:18 Matthew Jones
From: Matthew Jones @ 2006-01-30 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

--
Matthew JONES
http://www.tandbergtv.com/

* Unaligned access to packed structs on ppc405
@ 2006-01-29 10:00 Yaro Pollak
From: Yaro Pollak @ 2006-01-29 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Greetings,
I am cross-compiling on GCC 3.4.1 for the PowerPC 405, which can handle
unaligned accesses in hardware.
Whenever I am accessing members of a packed bit-struct by pointer, the
compiler produces byte accesses, instead of 4-byte acceses.
I've tried to use |-mstrict-align but to no avail.
Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance,
Yaro