* Re: g77 problem for octave
@ 2006-07-17  7:14 tyapici
From: tyapici @ 2006-07-17  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Bosscher, tprince, tyapici, gcc-help, gcc, Michael Matz

This is just the case. The problem is not if I like or not. Actually, i am
happy with gfortran. But the package i want to use requires the specific
version g77 4.1.0-25.

If there is no solution, then i will uninstall gcc 4.1.0-25 and all
dependent components and will install gcc 3.3.4 for which i can find g77.
But i think this is a very time consuming work.

Thanks,

Kind regards,

Tolga Yapici

> On 7/16/06, Tim Prince <timothyprince@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> > > On my computer, the installed version of gcc is 4.1.0-25 and i could not
> > > find any compatible version of g77 to install. For the installation of
> > > octave, i need exactly gcc-g77 not gcc-fortran.
> (...)
> > If you are so interested in using g77 rather than gfortran, it should be
> > easy enough to grab gcc-3.4.x sources and build g77.  One would wonder
> > why you dislike gfortran so much.
>
> I don't think he dislikes gfortran so much, he just needs _that_
> specific version of the package to install octave, I guess.
>
> That would be a SuSE packaging problem, so I'm CC:'ing matz.
>
> Gr.
> Steven

* Re: g77 problem for octave
@ 2006-07-17 14:32     ` Michael Matz
From: Michael Matz @ 2006-07-17 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Bosscher; +Cc: tprince, tyapici, gcc-help, gcc

Hi,

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006, Steven Bosscher wrote:

> On 7/16/06, Tim Prince <timothyprince@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> > > On my computer, the installed version of gcc is 4.1.0-25 and i could not
> > > find any compatible version of g77 to install. For the installation of
> > > octave, i need exactly gcc-g77 not gcc-fortran.
> (...)
> > If you are so interested in using g77 rather than gfortran, it should be
> > easy enough to grab gcc-3.4.x sources and build g77.  One would wonder
> > why you dislike gfortran so much.
>
> I don't think he dislikes gfortran so much, he just needs _that_
> specific version of the package to install octave, I guess.
>
> That would be a SuSE packaging problem, so I'm CC:'ing matz.

[offtopic, but hey]

Try compat-g77.  It's only on DVD and FTP, not on the CDs.

Ciao,
Michael.

* Re: g77 problem for octave
@ 2006-07-16 20:38   ` Steven Bosscher
From: Steven Bosscher @ 2006-07-16 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tprince; +Cc: tyapici, gcc-help, gcc, Michael Matz

@ 2006-07-16 20:24 ` Tim Prince
From: Tim Prince @ 2006-07-16 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tyapici; +Cc: gcc-help, gcc

tyapici@ae.metu.edu.tr wrote:
> Dear Sir/Madame,
>
> I have switched my OS to SuSE Linux 10.1 and for a while trying to install
> "Octave" to my computer. Unfortunately, the error message below is the only
> thing that i got.

> Installing octave-2.1.64-3.i586[Local packages]
> There are no installable providers of gcc-g77 for
> octave-2.1.64-3.i586[Local packages]
>
> On my computer, the installed version of gcc is 4.1.0-25 and i could not
> find any compatible version of g77 to install. For the installation of
> octave, i need exactly gcc-g77 not gcc-fortran.
>
> Can you please help me to deal with this problem?

If you are so interested in using g77 rather than gfortran, it should be
easy enough to grab gcc-3.4.x sources and build g77.  One would wonder
why you dislike gfortran so much.

* g77 problem for octave
@ 2006-07-16 18:20 tyapici
From: tyapici @ 2006-07-16 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help; +Cc: gcc, tyapici

Dear Sir/Madame,

I have switched my OS to SuSE Linux 10.1 and for a while trying to install
"Octave" to my computer. Unfortunately, the error message below is the only
thing that i got.

Installing octave-2.1.64-3.i586[Local packages]
There are no installable providers of gcc-g77 for
octave-2.1.64-3.i586[Local packages]

On my computer, the installed version of gcc is 4.1.0-25 and i could not
find any compatible version of g77 to install. For the installation of
octave, i need exactly gcc-g77 not gcc-fortran.

Can you please help me to deal with this problem?

Thanks in advance,

Tolga
Yapici