* How to Install GCC
@ 2007-03-11 14:51 Sadri SARRAY
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Sadri SARRAY @ 2007-03-11 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help; +Cc: gcc

Dear Madam, Sir

Please, Would you like to send me a procedure to install the GCC
compiler on a Linux-Ubuntu OS ?

Regards,

* Re: How to Install GCC
@ 2007-03-11 15:03 ` Steffen Wendzel
From: Steffen Wendzel @ 2007-03-11 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

as root:
# apt-get install gcc

regards
steffen

--
website: http://cdp.doomed-reality.org
hardened linux: http://hardenedlinux.sourceforge.net

* Re: How to Install GCC
@ 2007-03-11 15:58 ` Thomas Schwinge
From: Thomas Schwinge @ 2007-03-11 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sadri SARRAY; +Cc: gcc-help, gcc

Hello!

On Sun, Mar 11, 2007 at 10:45:53AM -0400, Sadri SARRAY wrote:
> Please, Would you like to send me a procedure to install the GCC
> compiler on a Linux-Ubuntu OS ?

With a power screwdriver.

Regards,
 Thomas

* Re: How to Install GCC
@ 2007-03-11 16:22 ` Manuel López-Ibáñez
From: Manuel López-Ibáñez @ 2007-03-11 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sadri SARRAY; +Cc: gcc-help

On 11/03/07, Sadri SARRAY <sadri.sarray@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Madam, Sir
>
> Please, Would you like to send me a procedure to install the GCC
> compiler on a Linux-Ubuntu OS ?

http://www.google.com/search?&q=how%20to%20install%20gcc%20in%20ubuntu

Or in short: sudo apt-get install gcc build-essential

Next time: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Cheers,

Manuel.

* Re: How to Install GCC
@ 2007-03-31 19:56   ` Denis Vlasenko
From: Denis Vlasenko @ 2007-03-31 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc; +Cc: Thomas Schwinge, Sadri SARRAY, gcc-help

On Sunday 11 March 2007 16:01, Thomas Schwinge wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 11, 2007 at 10:45:53AM -0400, Sadri SARRAY wrote:
> > Please, Would you like to send me a procedure to install the GCC
> > compiler on a Linux-Ubuntu OS ?
>
> With a power screwdriver.

Granted, poster was totally new to Linux and asked a very
stupid question, but did you really need to practice
yourself in user alienation? You could point him to

vda

* Re: How to install GCC
@ 2018-02-14  7:29   ` Jeffrey Walton
From: Jeffrey Walton @ 2018-02-14  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Wakely; +Cc: gcc-help

On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 12:42 PM, Jonathan Wakely <jwakely.gcc@gmail.com> wrote:
> Or you can use Brew or Macports or one of the packaging solutions for
> OS X, as mentioned at https://gcc.gnu.org/install/binaries.html

+1. Likely the path of least resistance.

Follow Jonathan's advice if you have any say in the matter.

* Re: How to install GCC
@ 2018-02-14  7:11   ` Kemal Gençay
From: Kemal Gençay @ 2018-02-14  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dennis Clarke; +Cc: gcc-help

IMHO no "man of gun" uses Mac but GNU/Linux

Am I being cynical???

Kemal

--

*İkinci vazifemiz devrimleri Anadolu'ya yaymaktır.*

* Re: How to install GCC
@ 2018-02-13 20:45 ` John Dubchak
From: John Dubchak @ 2018-02-13 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

On 2/13/18 9:22 AM, Mehrdad Tavassoli S225061 wrote:
> Hello,
>
> It is almost impossible to install GCC and it's ridiculously
> complicated no clue no nothing and the website is terrible.
> No installing it is a personal issue.
> I would like to help me through solving your puzzle (Don't take it as
> a compliment)
> PS. My laptop is macbook pro with os high sierra 10.13.2 .
>
> Best regards

Here is the track I follow:

1. Download the version of GCC I want to custom compile.
2. Change into the directory where I've decompressed the source
    and run the command:

            ./contrib/download_prerequisites

3. Create a build directory

            ./mkdir build-gcc-somefeature

4. Change into the build directory created in 3.
5. Figure out the options I want to include in my build:

             ../configure --help

     I often look at the current installation of gcc to see what's set:

              gcc -v

6. Issue the configure command. For instance, here's the one I used for
gcc-7.2.0:

              ../configure --prefix=/usr/local/gcc-7.2.0 \
--enable-checking=release \
--enable-languages=c,c++,objc,obj-c++ \
--enable-shared \
                  --enable-threads=posix

7. make
8. make install

To me, gcc is one of the smoothest, and easiest installations and custom
compilations out there. I actually love it and really appreciate the
effort of the devs who have gotten it to the point of it being this
straightforward.

* Re: How to install GCC
@ 2018-02-13 17:43 ` Jonathan Wakely
From: Jonathan Wakely @ 2018-02-13 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mehrdad Tavassoli S225061; +Cc: gcc-help

https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/InstallingGCC

> PS. My laptop is macbook pro with os high sierra 10.13.2 .

Blame Apple for moving system headers out of the default locations. I
think you need to install "Command Line Tools" from the app store.

@ 2018-02-13 17:39 ` Dennis Clarke
From: Dennis Clarke @ 2018-02-13 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

On 13/02/18 12:22 PM, Mehrdad Tavassoli S225061 wrote:
> Hello,
>
> It is almost impossible to install GCC and it's ridiculously complicated

Firstly, yes, you are correct. Also quite wrong. I don't blame you for
your frustration but I do blame you for your tone.

So trying to install GCC from the source code is partly black magic and
mostly a lot of experience dealing with it on various platforms. Most of
the people that work with GCC on a daily basis don't really have the
vast amount of time it takes to hand hold a new person that has never
ever tried before. So if you wander in throwing stones and stomping your
feet then don't expect a headlong rush from people to help you.

Having said all that, people have faced this problem before and the
popular opinion from other sources is don't do that.  I see others have
run into your os of choice and they are stuck with clang. It is not at
all easy to get gcc onto that machine.  Even if you do there is opinion
that gcc can not be used to build native macOS applications.

Dennis Clarke

ps: been bootstrapping gcc for maybe twenty years and it still
       makes life hell on some platforms.

* How to install GCC
@ 2018-02-13 17:22 Mehrdad Tavassoli S225061
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Mehrdad Tavassoli S225061 @ 2018-02-13 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hello,

It is almost impossible to install GCC and it's ridiculously complicated
no clue no nothing and the website is terrible.
No installing it is a personal issue.
I would like to help me through solving your puzzle (Don't take it as a
compliment)
PS. My laptop is macbook pro with os high sierra 10.13.2 .

Best regards

* Re: How to install gcc
@ 2005-10-26 19:32 ` Arturas Moskvinas
From: Arturas Moskvinas @ 2005-10-26 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel_J_Celta; +Cc: gcc-help

> For a machine running Windows XP, does anybody have a good cheat sheet of
> how to install GCC.
> I am getting the GNU source code CDs, but need some help with the
> installation.
> Thanks

For windows XP (or any other windows OS) you should use www.cygwin.com,
or www.mingw.org. They both provide gcc compiler. Cygwin also provides
Unix "compatability" layer...

Arturas M.

* Re: How to install gcc
@ 2005-10-26 19:09 ` corey taylor
From: corey taylor @ 2005-10-26 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel_J_Celta; +Cc: gcc-help

http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html is what you're looking for.

corey

On 10/26/05, Daniel_J_Celta@fpl.com <Daniel_J_Celta@fpl.com> wrote:

> For a machine running Windows XP, does anybody have a good cheat sheet of
> how to install GCC.
> I am getting the GNU source code CDs, but need some help with the
> installation.
> Thanks
>
> Daniel J Celta
> Project Valuation - Special Valuations