From: Ralf Wildenhues <Ralf.Wildenhues@gmx.de>
To: Pavel Pavlov <pavel@summit-tech.ca>
Cc: gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: Problem building gcc
Date: Fri, 07 May 2010 19:03:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Hello Pavel,

* Pavel Pavlov wrote on Thu, May 06, 2010 at 07:39:54AM CEST:
> My problem is identical to this one:
> http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-help/2008-03/msg00044.html
> It fails on configure step of binutils in libiberty. I have no idea
> what's the problem: everything is good, I have all the headers
> installed and I use gcc-4.4.0 as toolset to build crosscompiler.
>
> In that particular case I have this config.status :
> http://pastebin.com/PSsaya6F
> Yet, the final config.h is absolutely identical to config.in:
> http://pastebin.com/ecL4qkqT with the only change added is the single
> line at the top:
> /* config.h.  Generated from config.in by configure.  */
>
> Details of my environment: win7+msys and I'm trying to build cegcc
> crosscompiler. The src that I'm using is ok, I built it on Cygwin
> without that error, yet on msys/mingw it fails at the beginning.

Which version of MSYS and MinGW packages do you have installed?  In your
MinGW shell, do you have $PATH set to also point to some Cygwin tools,
and if yes, please show the value of $PATH, and when you last updated
your Cygwin installation.

Can you please download a pristine Autoconf 2.64 tarball from
ftp.gnu.org/gnu/autoconf and './configure && make && make check' it
and report back the results, preferably to the bug-autoconf list?
Thanks.

> I'm absolute ZERO or NULL in that black magic gibberish autoxxx
> scripts, so I'm asking for your help to resolve that issue. It seems
> that some of that atotools fail somehow to properly modify/parse some
> of the input files (CRLF issue maybe?).

I am probably the one responsible for most of the recent work in that.
We've tried to make sure that things work well for most setups we can
think of (and test), but bugs can still happen.  On the upside there
was algorithmic improvement coming along with the changes.

> PS: That same problem was once raised on cegcc list but with the same
> outcome (unresolved):
> http://www.mail-archive.com/cegcc-devel@lists.sourceforge.net/msg02642.html

Again, please report to the Autoconf bug list when you suspect a bug in
Autoconf.  We're glad to hear about reports, even if they turn out to
be in other pieces of the build system afterwards.

Thanks,
Ralf