* About compile
@ 2011-05-05 11:35 konica sarker
From: konica sarker @ 2011-05-05 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hello,

I want to compile a program from my personal computer (ubuntu  is
running) written for SPU target.
Can you tell me the what is the command for this?

- Konica

* Re: About compile
@ 2011-05-06 10:01 ` Kai Ruottu
       [not found]   ` <BANLkTin7vKDL0vfwOCjb+se5RiTzSwduvw@mail.gmail.com>
From: Kai Ruottu @ 2011-05-06 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

5.5.2011 14:34, konica sarker kirjoitti:
> Hello,
>
> I want to compile a program from my personal computer (ubuntu  is
> running) written for SPU target.
> Can you tell me the what is the command for this?

Ubuntu should provide a package called 'spu-gcc' and the GCC-driver
in it being 'spu-gcc'...

* Re: About compile
       [not found]   ` <BANLkTin7vKDL0vfwOCjb+se5RiTzSwduvw@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2011-05-11  9:49     ` konica sarker
From: konica sarker @ 2011-05-11  9:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

> 5.5.2011 14:34, konica sarker kirjoitti:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I want to compile a program from my personal computer (ubuntu  is
>> running) written for SPU target.
>> Can you tell me the what is the command for this?
>
> Ubuntu should provide a package called 'spu-gcc' and the GCC-driver
> in it being 'spu-gcc'...

Yes, I installed that package. now is is identifying the command spu-gcc
but I have compiled a test code (following), and got some error message...
Could you tell me why is this?ie what tzpe of error message is this?

my code:

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{

int x;
return 0;

}

the error message :

/tmp/ccz6TI1D.s: Assembler messages:
/tmp/ccz6TI1D.s:3: Error: alignment not a power of 2
/tmp/ccz6TI1D.s:7: Error: no such instruction: `stqd $sp,-80($sp)'
/tmp/ccz6TI1D.s:8: Error: no such instruction: `ai $sp,$sp,-80'
/tmp/ccz6TI1D.s:9: Error: no such instruction: `lqd $2,48($sp)'
/tmp/ccz6TI1D.s:10: Error: junk `($sp)' after expression
/tmp/ccz6TI1D.s:10: Error: suffix or operands invalid for `cwd'
/tmp/ccz6TI1D.s:11: Error: no such instruction: `shufb $2,$3,$2,$5'
/tmp/ccz6TI1D.s:12: Error: no such instruction: `stqd $2,48($sp)'
/tmp/ccz6TI1D.s:13: Error: no such instruction: `lqd $2,64($sp)'
/tmp/ccz6TI1D.s:14: Error: junk `($sp)' after expression
/tmp/ccz6TI1D.s:14: Error: suffix or operands invalid for `cwd'
/tmp/ccz6TI1D.s:15: Error: no such instruction: `shufb $2,$4,$2,$3'
/tmp/ccz6TI1D.s:16: Error: no such instruction: `stqd $2,64($sp)'
/tmp/ccz6TI1D.s:17: Error: no such instruction: `il $2,0'
/tmp/ccz6TI1D.s:18: Error: no such instruction: `ori $3,$2,0'
/tmp/ccz6TI1D.s:19: Error: no such instruction: `ai $sp,$sp,80'
/tmp/ccz6TI1D.s:20: Error: no such instruction: `bi $lr'

-konica

* Re: About compile
@ 2011-05-11 10:32       ` Kai Ruottu
       [not found]         ` <BANLkTimvR8fNX_+e6BCOw8NbB01ocK-D9A@mail.gmail.com>
From: Kai Ruottu @ 2011-05-11 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: konica sarker; +Cc: gcc-help

11.5.2011 12:49, konica sarker kirjoitti:
>>> I want to compile a program from my personal computer (ubuntu  is
>>> running) written for SPU target.
>>> Can you tell me the what is the command for this?
>>
>> Ubuntu should provide a package called 'spu-gcc' and the GCC-driver
>> in it being 'spu-gcc'...
>>
> Yes, I installed that package. now is is identifying the command spu-gcc
> but I have compiled a test code (following), and got some error message...
> Could you tell me why is this?ie what tzpe of error message is this?
>
> my code:
>
> int main(int argc, char *argv[])
> {
>
> int x;
> return 0;
>
> }
>
> the error message :
>
> /tmp/ccz6TI1D.s: Assembler messages:
> /tmp/ccz6TI1D.s:3: Error: alignment not a power of 2
> /tmp/ccz6TI1D.s:7: Error: no such instruction: `stqd $sp,-80($sp)'
> /tmp/ccz6TI1D.s:8: Error: no such instruction: `ai $sp,$sp,-80'
> /tmp/ccz6TI1D.s:9: Error: no such instruction: `lqd $2,48($sp)'

Sounds like you haven't any 'spu-binutils'. That a GCC needs
suitable binutils: assembler, linker etc. and most probably
also a suitable C library, maybe 'spu-newlib' or something
package, was unfortunately not told :(

Probably the Ubuntu's "package manager" has a "search" possibility
for finding all "spu" related packages..

* Re: About compile
       [not found]         ` <BANLkTimvR8fNX_+e6BCOw8NbB01ocK-D9A@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2011-05-12 10:51           ` konica sarker
From: konica sarker @ 2011-05-12 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kai Ruottu, gcc-help

On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 1:15 PM, konica sarker <konica.sarker@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Yes, I installed that package. now is is identifying the command spu-gcc
>>> but I have compiled a test code (following), and got some error message...
>>> Could you tell me why is this?ie what tzpe of error message is this?
>>>
>>> my code:
>>>
>>> int main(int argc, char *argv[])
>>> {
>>>
>>> int x;
>>> return 0;
>>>
>>> }
>>>
>>> the error message :
>>>
>>> /tmp/ccz6TI1D.s: Assembler messages:
>>> /tmp/ccz6TI1D.s:3: Error: alignment not a power of 2
>>> /tmp/ccz6TI1D.s:7: Error: no such instruction: `stqd $sp,-80($sp)'
>>> /tmp/ccz6TI1D.s:8: Error: no such instruction: `ai $sp,$sp,-80'
>>> /tmp/ccz6TI1D.s:9: Error: no such instruction: `lqd $2,48($sp)'
>>
>> Sounds like you haven't any 'spu-binutils'. That a GCC needs
>> suitable binutils: assembler, linker etc. and most probably
>> also a suitable C library, maybe 'spu-newlib' or something
>> package, was unfortunately not told :(
>>
>> Probably the Ubuntu's "package manager" has a "search" possibility
>> for finding all "spu" related packages..
>>

> Ya, it works perfectly....thanks a lot :)

I have another Problem. I have installed spu-binutils, spu-newlib, and
then spu-gcc.(.deb file, downloaded from internet)
Now I can compile my code with "spu-gcc -c test.c " command.
but the problem is, I have made a change in spu.h file, then how do I
rebuild GCC compiler?

I have given a command >>./configure target=SPU then >> make
but make is giving error.

so, my target is , I want to modify spu.c and spu.h and after
modifying, how do I recompile the compiler?

* Re: About compile
@ 2011-05-12 11:47             ` Axel Freyn
From: Axel Freyn @ 2011-05-12 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi,
On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 12:50:23PM +0200, konica sarker wrote:
> On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 1:15 PM, konica sarker <konica.sarker@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Sounds like you haven't any 'spu-binutils'. That a GCC needs
> >> suitable binutils: assembler, linker etc. and most probably
> >> also a suitable C library, maybe 'spu-newlib' or something
> >> package, was unfortunately not told :(
> >>
> >> Probably the Ubuntu's "package manager" has a "search" possibility
> >> for finding all "spu" related packages..
> >>

> > Ya, it works perfectly....thanks a lot :)
> >

> I have another Problem. I have installed spu-binutils, spu-newlib, and
> then spu-gcc.(.deb file, downloaded from internet)
> Now I can compile my code with "spu-gcc -c test.c " command.
> but the problem is, I have made a change in spu.h file, then how do I
> rebuild GCC compiler?
>
> I have given a command >>./configure target=SPU then >> make
> but make is giving error.
>
> so, my target is , I want to modify spu.c and spu.h and after
> modifying, how do I recompile the compiler?
Probably the easiest (as fully automated...) way is to do it "the Ubuntu
way" (I'm using Debian, so I'm not 100% sure the comands are exactly the
same on Ubuntu)
 - download the source code of the spu-cross-compiler
   should be something like "apt-get source spu-gcc"
   This will download the complete source code, including all
   modifications done by Ubuntu.
 - cd' into that new directory and change the spu.h/spu.c files
   then create the Ubuntu-packages:
   dpkg-buildpackage
   (here, dpkg-buildpackage will check that all dependencies are
   fullfilled. If something is missing, it will tell you the name of
   the Ubuntu-package you have to install).
 - now install the locally generated package spu-gcc.versionnumber.deb
   using "dpkg -i ..."
Then everything should be fine :-)

The same is of course possible with the spu-binutils,.. packages, if you
want to change there something.

HTH,

Axel

* Re: About compile
@ 2011-05-12 14:04               ` konica sarker
From: konica sarker @ 2011-05-12 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 1:46 PM, Axel Freyn <axel-freyn@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi,
> On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 12:50:23PM +0200, konica sarker wrote:

>> > Ya, it works perfectly....thanks a lot :)
>> >

>> I have another Problem. I have installed spu-binutils, spu-newlib, and
>> then spu-gcc.(.deb file, downloaded from internet)
>> Now I can compile my code with "spu-gcc -c test.c " command.
>> but the problem is, I have made a change in spu.h file, then how do I
>> rebuild GCC compiler?
>>
>> I have given a command >>./configure target=SPU then >> make
>> but make is giving error.
>>
>> so, my target is , I want to modify spu.c and spu.h and after
>> modifying, how do I recompile the compiler?
> Probably the easiest (as fully automated...) way is to do it "the Ubuntu
> way" (I'm using Debian, so I'm not 100% sure the comands are exactly the
> same on Ubuntu)
>  - download the source code of the spu-cross-compiler
>   should be something like "apt-get source spu-gcc"
>   This will download the complete source code, including all
>   modifications done by Ubuntu.
>  - cd' into that new directory and change the spu.h/spu.c files
>   then create the Ubuntu-packages:
>   dpkg-buildpackage
>   (here, dpkg-buildpackage will check that all dependencies are
>   fullfilled. If something is missing, it will tell you the name of
>   the Ubuntu-package you have to install).
>  - now install the locally generated package spu-gcc.versionnumber.deb
>   using "dpkg -i ..."
> Then everything should be fine :-)
>
> The same is of course possible with the spu-binutils,.. packages, if you
> want to change there something.
>
> HTH,
>
> Axel

apt-get source spu-gcc is not working..is is giving message

kosarker@bbl1lr32:~/Work/gcc-4.5.0$ sudo apt-get source spu-gcc
[sudo] password for kosarker:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Picking 'cell-gcc' as source package instead of 'spu-gcc'
E: Unable to find a source package for cell-gcc
kosarker@bbl1lr32:~/Work/gcc-4.5.0$

....so, I have gcc 4.5.0 running, I want to modify spu.c and spu.h
files inside the gcc folder  and want to see the change affect...do
you suggest me some way?

-konica

* Re: About compile
@ 2011-05-12 14:27                 ` Axel Freyn
From: Axel Freyn @ 2011-05-12 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 04:03:31PM +0200, konica sarker wrote:
> On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 1:46 PM, Axel Freyn <axel-freyn@gmx.de> wrote:
> > Hi,

> >> I have another Problem. I have installed spu-binutils, spu-newlib, and
> >> then spu-gcc.(.deb file, downloaded from internet)
> >> Now I can compile my code with "spu-gcc -c test.c " command.
> >> but the problem is, I have made a change in spu.h file, then how do I
> >> rebuild GCC compiler?
> >>
> >> I have given a command >>./configure target=SPU then >> make
> >> but make is giving error.
> >>
> >> so, my target is , I want to modify spu.c and spu.h and after
> >> modifying, how do I recompile the compiler?
> > Probably the easiest (as fully automated...) way is to do it "the Ubuntu
> > way" (I'm using Debian, so I'm not 100% sure the comands are exactly the
> > same on Ubuntu)
> >  - download the source code of the spu-cross-compiler
> >   should be something like "apt-get source spu-gcc"
> >   This will download the complete source code, including all
> >   modifications done by Ubuntu.
> >  - cd' into that new directory and change the spu.h/spu.c files
> >   then create the Ubuntu-packages:
> >   dpkg-buildpackage
> >   (here, dpkg-buildpackage will check that all dependencies are
> >   fullfilled. If something is missing, it will tell you the name of
> >   the Ubuntu-package you have to install).
> >  - now install the locally generated package spu-gcc.versionnumber.deb
> >   using "dpkg -i ..."
> > Then everything should be fine :-)
> >
> > The same is of course possible with the spu-binutils,.. packages, if you
> > want to change there something.
> >
> > HTH,
> >
> > Axel
> >

> apt-get source spu-gcc is not working..is is giving message
>
> kosarker@bbl1lr32:~/Work/gcc-4.5.0$ sudo apt-get source spu-gcc
> [sudo] password for kosarker:
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> Picking 'cell-gcc' as source package instead of 'spu-gcc'
> E: Unable to find a source package for cell-gcc
> kosarker@bbl1lr32:~/Work/gcc-4.5.0$

That is strange -- in theory apt-get should find the appropriate package
(under the condition that there exists a spu-gcc - package for your
Ubuntu version, and you have an "deb-src ..." entry in your
/etc/apt/sources.list (but if that would be missing, apt-get should give
another error message).
Did you install spu-gcc by aptitude/synaptic, or you downloaded the .deb
directly from the web? For "apt-get source" to work you need an "deb-src
..." entry for the package repository from which you downloaded spu-gcc

> ....so, I have gcc 4.5.0 running, I want to modify spu.c and spu.h
> files inside the gcc folder  and want to see the change affect...do
> you suggest me some way?
OK, if you want to compile it yourself:
That's the official documentation: http://gcc.gnu.org/install/
(on the page http://gcc.gnu.org/install/configure.htm you have specific
comments for building a cross-compiler)
However, if you do that, you have to be careful:
 - you should NOT install this new, self-compiled compiler in the main
   system, but in some special directory (in order not to create
   conflicts with the package management system of Ubuntu)
 - if you keep the spu-gcc - package installed, you will have TWO
   cross-compilers installed - then you have to define which one to use
   (e.g. you can use the option "--program-suffix" when compiling gcc in
   order to give it a different name)

HTH,

Axel