* compile linux kernel 2.6.0 failed
@ 2013-01-02  9:18 horseriver
From: horseriver @ 2013-01-02  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

hi

  I am compiling 2.6.0 kernel with gcc 4.4.5 and link with ld 2.20 version.

  when linking .so , output this error :

  /usr/bin/ld: arch/i386/kernel/vsyscall-int80.so: Not enough room for program headers, try linking with -N

  does gcc generate the program headers ? why not enough room for it ?

  I guess it is because gcc version is not compitable with ld version

  is there some advice ?

thanks!

* Re: compile linux kernel 2.6.0 failed
@ 2013-01-02 16:57 ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2013-01-02 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: horseriver; +Cc: gcc-help

On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 1:16 AM, horseriver <horserivers@gmail.com> wrote:

>   I am compiling 2.6.0 kernel with gcc 4.4.5 and link with ld 2.20 version.
>
>   when linking .so , output this error :
>
>   /usr/bin/ld: arch/i386/kernel/vsyscall-int80.so: Not enough room for program headers, try linking with -N
>
>   does gcc generate the program headers ? why not enough room for it ?
>
>   I guess it is because gcc version is not compitable with ld version
>
>   is there some advice ?

GCC does not generate the program headers.  The linker does.  This is
unlikely to be an issue of compatibility between GCC and ld.  In fact
this probably has nothing to do with GCC at all.  It is more likely to
be an issue of compatibility between the kernel's linker script and
the version of ld that you are using.

I don't know why this fails for you, but since GNU binutils 2.23 has
been released, I would recommend trying that.  Alternatively, since
2.6.0 is relatively old, trying using an older version of the GNU
binutils.

Ian

* Re: compile linux kernel 2.6.0 failed
@ 2013-01-03  4:43   ` horseriver
From: horseriver @ 2013-01-03  4:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

On Wed, Jan 02, 2013 at 08:57:04AM -0800, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 1:16 AM, horseriver <horserivers@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >   I am compiling 2.6.0 kernel with gcc 4.4.5 and link with ld 2.20 version.
> >
> >   when linking .so , output this error :
> >
> >   /usr/bin/ld: arch/i386/kernel/vsyscall-int80.so: Not enough room for program headers, try linking with -N
> >
> >   does gcc generate the program headers ? why not enough room for it ?
> >
> >   I guess it is because gcc version is not compitable with ld version
> >
> >   is there some advice ?
>
> GCC does not generate the program headers.  The linker does.  This is
> unlikely to be an issue of compatibility between GCC and ld.  In fact
> this probably has nothing to do with GCC at all.  It is more likely to
> be an issue of compatibility between the kernel's linker script and
> the version of ld that you are using.

I am using debian linux of 2.6.32 version , and I am compiling 2.6.0 kernel on its

environment.

> I don't know why this fails for you, but since GNU binutils 2.23 has
> been released, I would recommend trying that.  Alternatively, since
> 2.6.0 is relatively old, trying using an older version of the GNU
> binutils.

I have  installed old  biutils of 2.12 version .

when linking , ld  tell me this error :

/usr/local/bin/ld: unrecognized option '--build-id'

this option seem to be set by gcc .

 how can I do for this ?

thanks!