* Anonymous read-only Git access
@ 2020-03-05  5:50 yilu
From: yilu @ 2020-03-05  5:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi,everyone
I want to get the GCC-10 source and I followed the instructions in https://gcc.gnu.org/git.html, however, the command
git clone git://gcc.gnu.org/git/gcc.git SomeLocalDir
cannot work.
And I found I cannot connect https://gcc.gnu.org/git/gcc.git even without firewall(I'm in China). I got a 403 Forbidden
 "You don't have permission to access /git/gcc.git/ on this server."
 "Apache Server at gcc.gnu.org Port 443".
What can I do in this situation?
Thanks.

Beenle Yi
yilu@bupt.edu.cn

* Re: Anonymous read-only Git access
@ 2020-03-05  6:33 ` Kewen.Lin
From: Kewen.Lin @ 2020-03-05  6:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yilu; +Cc: gcc-help

Hi Beenle,

on 2020/3/5 \xCF\xC2\xCE\xE71:50, yilu@bupt.edu.cn wrote:
> Hi,everyone
> I want to get the GCC-10 source and I followed the instructions in https://gcc.gnu.org/git.html, however, the command
> git clone git://gcc.gnu.org/git/gcc.git SomeLocalDir
> cannot work.

Do you mean the symptom is hanging?

I'm also in China and did a try just now, then found the speed from
git://gcc.gnu.org/git/gcc.git is 5.00 ~ 10.00 KiB/s, very slow...
even with single-branch and depth 1, it took me a while to get response.

You probably can try mirror https://mirrors.tuna.tsinghua.edu.cn/git/gcc.git

BR,
Kewen

* Re: Anonymous read-only Git access
@ 2020-03-05  6:33 ` Xi Ruoyao
From: Xi Ruoyao @ 2020-03-05  6:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yilu, gcc-help

On 2020-03-05 13:50 +0800, yilu@bupt.edu.cn wrote:
> Hi,everyone
> I want to get the GCC-10 source and I followed the instructions in
> https://gcc.gnu.org/git.html, however, the command
> git clone git://gcc.gnu.org/git/gcc.git SomeLocalDir
> cannot work.
> And I found I cannot connect https://gcc.gnu.org/git/gcc.git even without
> firewall(I'm in China). I got a 403 Forbidden
>  "You don't have permission to access /git/gcc.git/ on this server."
>  "Apache Server at gcc.gnu.org Port 443".
> What can I do in this situation?

I guess some guy in BUPT "attacked" gcc.gnu.org somehow (maybe unintentionally,
just playing or testing some software) and caused the entire IP segment to be
banned.

You should contact the administrator of gcc.gnu.org.  In the meantime try

    git clone https://mirrors.tuna.tsinghua.edu.cn/git/gcc.git

It would be very fast since this mirror is in your city :).

(OT: Several BUPT students commenced some unsported behavior in our programming
contests.  So our online judge is also banning BUPT IP segments.)
--
Xi Ruoyao <xry111@mengyan1223.wang>

* Re: Anonymous read-only Git access
@ 2020-03-05  6:48   ` Kewen.Lin
From: Kewen.Lin @ 2020-03-05  6:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xi Ruoyao; +Cc: gcc-help, yilu

on 2020/3/5 下午2:33, Xi Ruoyao wrote:
> On 2020-03-05 13:50 +0800, yilu@bupt.edu.cn wrote:
>> Hi,everyone
>> I want to get the GCC-10 source and I followed the instructions in
>> https://gcc.gnu.org/git.html, however, the command
>> git clone git://gcc.gnu.org/git/gcc.git SomeLocalDir
>> cannot work.
>> And I found I cannot connect https://gcc.gnu.org/git/gcc.git even without
>> firewall(I'm in China). I got a 403 Forbidden
>>  "You don't have permission to access /git/gcc.git/ on this server."
>>  "Apache Server at gcc.gnu.org Port 443".
>> What can I do in this situation?
>
> I guess some guy in BUPT "attacked" gcc.gnu.org somehow (maybe unintentionally,
> just playing or testing some software) and caused the entire IP segment to be
> banned.

Good guess.  Maybe try to browse https://gcc.gnu.org/git/.
I was guessing he accessed the link with browser instead of git clone,
since I got the same error too if try with browser.

BR,
Kewen

* Re: Anonymous read-only Git access
@ 2020-03-05  7:03     ` Xi Ruoyao
From: Xi Ruoyao @ 2020-03-05  7:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kewen.Lin; +Cc: gcc-help, yilu

On 2020-03-05 14:48 +0800, Kewen.Lin wrote:
> on 2020/3/5 下午2:33, Xi Ruoyao wrote:
> > On 2020-03-05 13:50 +0800, yilu@bupt.edu.cn wrote:
> > > Hi,everyone
> > > I want to get the GCC-10 source and I followed the instructions in
> > > https://gcc.gnu.org/git.html, however, the command
> > > git clone git://gcc.gnu.org/git/gcc.git SomeLocalDir
> > > cannot work.
> > > And I found I cannot connect https://gcc.gnu.org/git/gcc.git even without
> > > firewall(I'm in China). I got a 403 Forbidden
> > >  "You don't have permission to access /git/gcc.git/ on this server."
> > >  "Apache Server at gcc.gnu.org Port 443".
> > > What can I do in this situation?
> >
> > I guess some guy in BUPT "attacked" gcc.gnu.org somehow (maybe
> > unintentionally,
> > just playing or testing some software) and caused the entire IP segment to
> > be
> > banned.
> >

> Good guess.  Maybe try to browse https://gcc.gnu.org/git/.
> I was guessing he accessed the link with browser instead of git clone,
> since I got the same error too if try with browser.

Oh I misunderstanded the OP.  I thought that message was printed by "git clone"
command...

With a browser it would always show 403.  Technically "406 Not Acceptable" is
better for this case according to RFC 7231, I think.
--

@ 2020-03-05  7:31   ` Liu Hao
From: Liu Hao @ 2020-03-05  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help, Xi Ruoyao, yilu

在 2020/3/5 14:33, Xi Ruoyao 写道:
> On 2020-03-05 13:50 +0800, yilu@bupt.edu.cn wrote:
>> Hi,everyone
>> I want to get the GCC-10 source and I followed the instructions in
>> https://gcc.gnu.org/git.html, however, the command
>> git clone git://gcc.gnu.org/git/gcc.git SomeLocalDir
>> cannot work.
>> And I found I cannot connect https://gcc.gnu.org/git/gcc.git even without
>> firewall(I'm in China). I got a 403 Forbidden
>>  "You don't have permission to access /git/gcc.git/ on this server."
>>  "Apache Server at gcc.gnu.org Port 443".
>> What can I do in this situation?
>
> I guess some guy in BUPT "attacked" gcc.gnu.org somehow (maybe unintentionally,
> just playing or testing some software) and caused the entire IP segment to be
> banned.
>
> You should contact the administrator of gcc.gnu.org.  In the meantime try
>
>     git clone https://mirrors.tuna.tsinghua.edu.cn/git/gcc.git
>
> It would be very fast since this mirror is in your city :).
>
> (OT: Several BUPT students commenced some unsported behavior in our programming
> contests.  So our online judge is also banning BUPT IP segments.)

The fact that Git may utilize HTTPS protocol doesn't imply that you can
list its contents with a web browser.

If you have issues cloning GCC's official GCC repo, here is some mitigation:

  # Create an empty repo with a working tree.
  mkdir gcc
  cd gcc
  git init

  # Add mirrors by hand.
  git remote add origin https://gcc.gnu.org/git/gcc.git
  git remote add github https://github.com/gcc-mirror/gcc.git
  git remote add tuna https://mirrors.tuna.tsinghua.edu.cn/git/gcc.git

  # Fetch from reachable mirrors first.
  # TUNA is unlikely to be unreachable from you, however it is
  # slightly left behind other mirrors.
  # This will fetch the bulk of the repo.
  git fetch tuna

  # Fetch more data from another mirror.
  # Objects that have been fetched from TUNA will not be fetched again.
  # There's supposed to be much fewer bytes to download.
  # GitHub is slower, but is less likely to be blocked by Chinese ISPs.
  git fetch github

  # Check out the master branch and initializes the working tree.
  # This is usually a bit behind `origin/master`.
  git checkout -b master github/master

  # Fetch data that have not been mirrored yet.
  # You may postpone this until you have access.
  git fetch origin

  # Set up its tracking branch.
  # You only need to set it once.
  # Note: This requires a successful fetch from `origin`.
  #       If that is not possible for you, please skip this step.
  git branch master --set-upstream-to=origin/master

--
Best regards,
LH_Mouse

* Re: Re: Anonymous read-only Git access
@ 2020-03-05  8:12     ` yilu
From: yilu @ 2020-03-05  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Liu Hao, gcc-help

Thank you so much! It all works, and I've finished it.

Beenle Yi
yilu@bupt.edu.cn

From: Liu Hao
Date: 2020-03-05 15:31
To: gcc-help; Xi Ruoyao; yilu@bupt.edu.cn
Subject: Re: Anonymous read-only Git access
在 2020/3/5 14:33, Xi Ruoyao 写道:

@ 2020-03-05  8:15     ` yilu
From: yilu @ 2020-03-05  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kewen.Lin, Xi Ruoyao; +Cc: gcc-help

Thank you both, Kewen.Lin and Xi Ruoyao! I've solved it and actually I didn't use the BUPT network since I'm not at school.

Beenle Yi
yilu@bupt.edu.cn

From: Kewen.Lin
Date: 2020-03-05 14:48