* Libtool versioning on FreeBSD
@ 2007-10-22  6:53 Jon Theil Nielsen
From: Jon Theil Nielsen @ 2007-10-22  6:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi All,

I have made a major oops and deleted some basic files from my system
(FreeBSD 7.0-Current). After that I'm in big troubles, sinces almost all
compilations will end up in an error message like "gnome-libtool: link:
unknown library version type `freebsd-'
Fatal configuration error."
When I run the libtool --configure command, it states
# Library versioning type.
version_type=freebsd-
which should, I guess, be version_type=freebsd-elf
Any clues how I can fix this?

Best regards, Jon
--
Jon Theil Nielsen

* Re: Libtool versioning on FreeBSD
@ 2007-10-24 22:44 ` Ralf Wildenhues
From: Ralf Wildenhues @ 2007-10-24 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jon Theil Nielsen; +Cc: gcc-help

Hello Jon,

* Jon Theil Nielsen wrote on Sun, Oct 21, 2007 at 11:50:39PM CEST:

> I have made a major oops and deleted some basic files from my system
> (FreeBSD 7.0-Current). After that I'm in big troubles, sinces almost all
> compilations will end up in an error message like "gnome-libtool: link:
> unknown library version type `freebsd-'

Does /usr/bin/objformat still exist?  If yes, can it be run?

> Fatal configuration error."
> When I run the libtool --configure command, it states
> # Library versioning type.
> version_type=freebsd-
> which should, I guess, be version_type=freebsd-elf
> Any clues how I can fix this?

Hmm, the configure macros that come with current libtool do assume
freebsd-elf by default, if `test -x /usr/bin/objformat' fails.  If
you can fix that, a rerun of configure should fix the libtool script.

Or you could manually set
  version_type=freebsd-elf
  build_libtool_need_lc=no
in the libtool script as a workaround, once near the beginning of the
script and once for each non-C tag near the end of the file.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Ralf

* SV: Libtool versioning on FreeBSD
@ 2007-10-25  5:48   ` Jon Theil Nielsen
From: Jon Theil Nielsen @ 2007-10-25  5:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Ralf Wildenhues'; +Cc: gcc-help

Hi Ralf,

Thanks for your reply. I must admit that I'm not usually a programmer, so
I'm not sure I understand all of your answer. /usr/bin/objformat does still
exist. If I run run it without any parameteres, it returns a segfault, while
the "test" statment completed without any problems or output.
My needs are just to be able to install/update ports, and I tried with
x11-drivers/xorg-drivers, which gave the usual error. I don't know where to
set the proposed variables. And especially if it should be a global
solution.

Cheers, Jon

> Hello Jon,
>
> * Jon Theil Nielsen wrote on Sun, Oct 21, 2007 at 11:50:39PM CEST:
>
> I have made a major oops and deleted some basic files from my system
> (FreeBSD 7.0-Current). After that I'm in big troubles, sinces almost
> all compilations will end up in an error message like "gnome-libtool:
link:
> unknown library version type `freebsd-'

Does /usr/bin/objformat still exist?  If yes, can it be run?

> Fatal configuration error."
> When I run the libtool --configure command, it states # Library
> versioning type.
> version_type=freebsd-
> which should, I guess, be version_type=freebsd-elf Any clues how I can
> fix this?

Hmm, the configure macros that come with current libtool do assume
freebsd-elf by default, if `test -x /usr/bin/objformat' fails.  If you can
fix that, a rerun of configure should fix the libtool script.

Or you could manually set
  version_type=freebsd-elf
  build_libtool_need_lc=no
in the libtool script as a workaround, once near the beginning of the script
and once for each non-C tag near the end of the file.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Ralf

* Re: SV: Libtool versioning on FreeBSD
@ 2007-10-25  8:11     ` Ralf Wildenhues
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Ralf Wildenhues @ 2007-10-25  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jon Theil Nielsen; +Cc: gcc-help

Hello Jon,

* Jon Theil Nielsen wrote on Thu, Oct 25, 2007 at 12:44:06AM CEST:

> Thanks for your reply. I must admit that I'm not usually a programmer, so
> I'm not sure I understand all of your answer. /usr/bin/objformat does still
> exist. If I run run it without any parameteres, it returns a segfault, while
> the "test" statment completed without any problems or output.

That's the problem then: Libtool assumes that, if /usr/bin/objformat is
executable, then it can be run and produces useful output.

What you need to do is: either move /usr/bin/objformat out of the way
temporarily, or fix things so that it returns useful output.  Then
recompile whatever port belongs to gnome-libtool.

Sorry I can't be more precise, I'm not a FreeBSD expert at all.

Cheers,
Ralf

* SV: SV: Libtool versioning on FreeBSD
@ 2007-10-25 10:32       ` Jon Theil Nielsen
From: Jon Theil Nielsen @ 2007-10-25 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Ralf Wildenhues'; +Cc: gcc-help

Hi Ralf,

I think i'll try to make a fresh install of GCC and see if that helps.
Otherwise, I'll try to rename /usr/bin/objformat as supposed. If a still
have problems, I'll write back to you and the list.

Cheers, Jon

@ 2007-10-25 22:09       ` Jon Theil Nielsen
From: Jon Theil Nielsen @ 2007-10-25 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Ralf Wildenhues'; +Cc: gcc-help

Hello again Ralf,

Ironically, I could not reinstall GCC in the first place. But after renaming
/usr/bin/objformat, I could compile again. The problem is not _solved_ since
libtool --config stille reports "version_type=freebsd-". But now I can do
everything I need to do (it is a very old workstation, which will be taken
out of action soon).
Thanks very much for your help.

Cheers, Jon

@ 2007-10-30 15:29       ` Jon Theil Nielsen
From: Jon Theil Nielsen @ 2007-10-30 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Ralf Wildenhues'; +Cc: gcc-help

Hi again,

My problems are not over yet. In the first place, everything seemed to be
okay after removing /usr/bin/objformat from the path. However, during a
portupgrade I had to install the port gccmakedep (for whom the description
is "The gccmakedep program creates dependencies in makefiles using 'gcc
-M'). Now I get the excact same error as usually.
Any (more) ideas?

Cheers,

Jon

* Re: SV: SV: Libtool versioning on FreeBSD
@ 2007-11-01  9:06         ` 'Ralf Wildenhues'
From: 'Ralf Wildenhues' @ 2007-11-01  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jon Theil Nielsen; +Cc: gcc-help

* Jon Theil Nielsen wrote on Tue, Oct 30, 2007 at 09:43:20AM CET:

> My problems are not over yet. In the first place, everything seemed to be
> okay after removing /usr/bin/objformat from the path. However, during a
> portupgrade I had to install the port gccmakedep (for whom the description
> is "The gccmakedep program creates dependencies in makefiles using 'gcc
> -M'). Now I get the excact same error as usually.
> Any (more) ideas?

Not really, as I don't know FreeBSD internals well.  You could try to
find out why objformat doesn't work and fix that.

Cheers,
Ralf

* SV: SV: SV: Libtool versioning on FreeBSD
@ 2007-11-01 11:06           ` Jon Theil Nielsen
From: Jon Theil Nielsen @ 2007-11-01 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Ralf Wildenhues'; +Cc: gcc-help

Okay, I will try that. Thanks a lot anyway.

Cheers,
Jon