* RE: "White paper" about GCC front-end internals
@ 2011-04-20  8:38 charfi asma
From: charfi asma @ 2011-04-20  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andi Hellmund; +Cc: gcc-help

----- Message transféré ----
De : Andi Hellmund <mail@andihellmund.com>
À : gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org; gcc@gcc.gnu.org
Envoyé le : Dim 6 mars 2011, 22h 29min 55s
Objet : "White paper" about GCC front-end internals

Hey ALL,

after some time of source code investigations, testing and experiments, I
finally bundled my experiences with GCC front-ends in a "white paper" about the
internals of GCC front-ends. It is not really structured like a tutorial, but it
should hopefully be usuable by GCC newbies to speed up the introduction into
GCC.

The white paper is available at:

http://blog.lxgcc.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/GCC_frontend.pdf

I'm pretty sure that this paper still contains some errors or even conceptual
mis-understandings, though I would appreciate to get feedback of any kind about
what could be improved/changed/removed.

Once, all erros and mis-understandings are removed, I would then put some
important extracts of this paper into the GCC internals documentation to serve
as a base for future front-end documentations.

Thanks for your feedback and time,
Andi

Hello Andi,

Congratulation  for your paper, If it was written before I built version0.00001
of my front end, it would have saved much time for me :)

Any way, you said in your paper that front end could not produce Generic at all
and target directly gimple. I would like to have some info about this idea.

Did those front ends use the gimplify function by passing a function that is
already in gimple form ?

i.e, In my front end I passed to gimplify a function that is a tree built in
GENERIC:

gimplify_function_tree(main_fn_decl);

could I simply pass instead main_fn_dec that is in gimple ?

thank you very much.

Asma

* "White paper" about GCC front-end internals
@ 2011-03-06 21:30 Andi Hellmund