* cannot find -lc
@ 2010-01-25 17:46 mahmoodn
From: mahmoodn @ 2010-01-25 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

I got an error regarding the "ld". The error is:
/opt/cell/toolchain/bin/ppu-ld: cannot find -lc
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [test1] Error 1

I have found that it may be related to glibc, so I query the packages with
rpm and the results is:
[mahmood@Saturn minipthreads]$rpm -qa '*glibc*'
glibc-headers-2.8-3.i386
glibc-common-2.8-3.i386
glibc-2.8-3.i686
glibc-devel-2.8-3.i386

So I think I have everything needed. What is the problem then?:working:

* Re: cannot find -lc
@ 2010-01-25 20:20 ` Axel Freyn
From: Axel Freyn @ 2010-01-25 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi Mahmoodn,
> I got an error regarding the "ld". The error is:
> /opt/cell/toolchain/bin/ppu-ld: cannot find -lc
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make: *** [test1] Error 1
The linker states it is not able to find the library libc.

Regarding the path where the linker "ppu-ld" is installed, I assume you
are cross-compiling for a Cell-Processor? If that is the case, you need
also the libc-Library compiled for that processor, and:
> I have found that it may be related to glibc, so I query the packages with
> rpm and the results is:
> [mahmood@Saturn minipthreads]$rpm -qa '*glibc*'
> glibc-headers-2.8-3.i386
> glibc-common-2.8-3.i386
> glibc-2.8-3.i686
> glibc-devel-2.8-3.i386
These are the versions of glibc for your actual system, on which you are
compiling - these libraries won't work on a Cell-Processor (I think...).

Maybe you should ask on a mailing-list of the project which created this
toolchain for crosscompiling for Cell-Processors? (www.free60.org ???)

Axel

* Re: cannot find -lc
@ 2010-01-26  7:40   ` mahmoodn
From: mahmoodn @ 2010-01-26  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

> The linker states it is not able to find the library libc.
I have these:
[mahmood@Saturn minipthreads]$rpm -qa '*libc*'
glibc-headers-2.8-3.i386
libcurl-devel-7.18.1-1.fc9.i386
glibc-common-2.8-3.i386
libcap-devel-2.06-4.fc9.i386
glibc-2.8-3.i686
libcap-2.06-4.fc9.i386
libcurl-7.18.1-1.fc9.i386
libcdio-0.79-3.fc9.i386
libconfig-1.2.1-2.fc9.i386
libcroco-0.6.1-5.fc9.i386
glibc-devel-2.8-3.i386

How about that? Are they correct?

>Maybe you should ask on a mailing-list of the project which created this
>toolchain for crosscompiling for Cell-Processors? (www.free60.org ???)
Thanks, I will visit that.

Axel Freyn wrote:

> Hi Mahmoodn,
>> I got an error regarding the "ld". The error is:
>> /opt/cell/toolchain/bin/ppu-ld: cannot find -lc
>> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>> make: *** [test1] Error 1
> The linker states it is not able to find the library libc.
>
> Regarding the path where the linker "ppu-ld" is installed, I assume you
> are cross-compiling for a Cell-Processor? If that is the case, you need
> also the libc-Library compiled for that processor, and:
>> I have found that it may be related to glibc, so I query the packages
>> with
>> rpm and the results is:
>> [mahmood@Saturn minipthreads]$rpm -qa '*glibc*'
>> glibc-headers-2.8-3.i386
>> glibc-common-2.8-3.i386
>> glibc-2.8-3.i686
>> glibc-devel-2.8-3.i386
> These are the versions of glibc for your actual system, on which you are
> compiling - these libraries won't work on a Cell-Processor (I think...).
>
> Maybe you should ask on a mailing-list of the project which created this
> toolchain for crosscompiling for Cell-Processors? (www.free60.org ???)
>
> Axel

* Re: cannot find -lc
@ 2010-01-26 10:38     ` Kai Ruottu
From: Kai Ruottu @ 2010-01-26 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mahmoodn; +Cc: gcc-help

mahmoodn wrote:
>> The linker states it is not able to find the library libc.
>>
> I have these:
> [mahmood@Saturn minipthreads]$rpm -qa '*libc*'
> glibc-headers-2.8-3.i386
> libcurl-devel-7.18.1-1.fc9.i386
> glibc-common-2.8-3.i386
> libcap-devel-2.06-4.fc9.i386
> glibc-2.8-3.i686
> libcap-2.06-4.fc9.i386
> libcurl-7.18.1-1.fc9.i386
> libcdio-0.79-3.fc9.i386
> libconfig-1.2.1-2.fc9.i386
> libcroco-0.6.1-5.fc9.i386
> glibc-devel-2.8-3.i386
>
> How about that? Are they correct?

Absolutely NOT !

It looks like that the PPU-toolchain requires TWO glibcs for PPU, 32-bit
and 64-bit  :

[root@Dell lib]# file libc-2.6.so
libc-2.6.so: ELF 32-bit MSB shared object, PowerPC or cisco 4500,
version 1 (SYSV), for GNU/Linux 2.6.9, not stripped
[root@Dell lib]# cd ../lib64
[root@Dell lib64]# file libc-2.6.so
libc-2.6.so: ELF 64-bit MSB shared object, 64-bit PowerPC or cisco 7500,
version 1 (SYSV), for GNU/Linux 2.6.9, not stripped

One is expected to find things like "GCC for PPU" and "glibc for PPU"
with very simple
net searches...  It took me only a few seconds to find the PPU
crosstoolchain for a x86
host and the host-independent (but target dependent) glibc or "sysroot"
stuff.

* Re: cannot find -lc
@ 2010-01-26 17:36       ` mahmoodn
From: mahmoodn @ 2010-01-26 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

>One is expected to find things like "GCC for PPU" and "glibc for PPU"
>with very simple
>net searches...  It took me only a few seconds to find the PPU
>crosstoolchain for a x86
>host and the host-independent (but target dependent) glibc or "sysroot"
>stuff.

Ok thanks,