* Help building gcc
@ 2010-02-09 20:01 afkoeppel
From: afkoeppel @ 2010-02-09 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hello,

I am brand new to linux/unix and I am trying to install a program that
requires gfortran.  My understanding is that gfortran is part of gcc, and
that I therefore need to install gcc to run it.  I have been having some
problems accomplishing this, however.

I have downloaded the source, and (I think) installed all the prerequisite
programs.  The configure runs just fine, but when I try to build the
program, it runs for several minutes before giving the following error:

checking for x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu-gcc.../home/afkoeppel/objdir/.gcc/xgcc
-B/home/afkoeppel/objdir/./gcc
-B/home/afkoeppel/gcc-install//x86_64unknown-linux-gnu/lib/
-B/home/afkoeppel/gcc-install//x86_64unknown-linux-gnu/include -isystem
/home/afkoeppel/gcc-install//x86_64unknown-linux-gnu/sys-include
checking for suffix of object files... configure error: in
'/home/afkoeppel/objdir/x86_64unknown-linux-gnu/libgcc':
configure: error: cannot compute suffix of object files: cannot compile
see 'config.log' for more details.
make [2]: ***[configure-stage1-target-libgcc] Error 1
make [2]: Leaving directory '/home/afkoeppel/objdir'
make [1] ***[-stage1-bubble] Error 2
make [1]: Leaving directory '/home/afkoeppel/objdir'
make; *** [all] Error 2

I followed the suggestion to look in config.log, but my comprehension is too
limited at this point to make any sense of what I'm finding there.
Searching for the error here I found the suggestion that adding gmp and mpfr
to the LD_LIBRARY_PATH might solve the problem.
http://old.nabble.com/-Bug-bootstrap-35577---New:-configure:-error:-cannot-compute-suffix-of-object-files-td16038190.html
http://old.nabble.com/-Bug-bootstrap-35577---New:-configure:-error:-cannot-compute-suffix-of-object-files-td16038190.html

I tried this, but I'm not entirely sure if I've done it correctly, and I am
still getting the same error.
I've attached my config.log file to this post, and I'm hoping someone will
be able to help me figure out what I've been doing wrong.  I apologize if
the error is something very basic, or very stupid, or covered thoroughly
here already and I just missed it.
Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide.

http://old.nabble.com/file/p27520625/config.log config.log

* Re: Help building gcc
@ 2010-02-09 20:11 ` Andi Hellmund
From: Andi Hellmund @ 2010-02-09 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: afkoeppel; +Cc: gcc-help

afkoeppel wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am brand new to linux/unix and I am trying to install a program that
> requires gfortran.  My understanding is that gfortran is part of gcc, and
> that I therefore need to install gcc to run it.  I have been having some
> problems accomplishing this, however.
>
> I have downloaded the source, and (I think) installed all the prerequisite
> programs.  The configure runs just fine, but when I try to build the
> program, it runs for several minutes before giving the following error:
>
> checking for x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu-gcc.../home/afkoeppel/objdir/.gcc/xgcc
> -B/home/afkoeppel/objdir/./gcc
> -B/home/afkoeppel/gcc-install//x86_64unknown-linux-gnu/lib/
> -B/home/afkoeppel/gcc-install//x86_64unknown-linux-gnu/include -isystem
> /home/afkoeppel/gcc-install//x86_64unknown-linux-gnu/sys-include
> checking for suffix of object files... configure error: in
> '/home/afkoeppel/objdir/x86_64unknown-linux-gnu/libgcc':
> configure: error: cannot compute suffix of object files: cannot compile
> see 'config.log' for more details.
> make [2]: ***[configure-stage1-target-libgcc] Error 1
> make [2]: Leaving directory '/home/afkoeppel/objdir'
> make [1] ***[-stage1-bubble] Error 2
> make [1]: Leaving directory '/home/afkoeppel/objdir'
> make; *** [all] Error 2
>
> I followed the suggestion to look in config.log, but my comprehension is too
> limited at this point to make any sense of what I'm finding there.
> Searching for the error here I found the suggestion that adding gmp and mpfr
> to the LD_LIBRARY_PATH might solve the problem.
> http://old.nabble.com/-Bug-bootstrap-35577---New:-configure:-error:-cannot-compute-suffix-of-object-files-td16038190.html
> http://old.nabble.com/-Bug-bootstrap-35577---New:-configure:-error:-cannot-compute-suffix-of-object-files-td16038190.html
>
> I tried this, but I'm not entirely sure if I've done it correctly, and I am
> still getting the same error.
> I've attached my config.log file to this post, and I'm hoping someone will
> be able to help me figure out what I've been doing wrong.  I apologize if
> the error is something very basic, or very stupid, or covered thoroughly
> here already and I just missed it.
> Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide.
>
> http://old.nabble.com/file/p27520625/config.log config.log

Hey,

you checked the wrong config.log. There's a config.log in
x86_64unknown-linux-gnu/libgcc.

There you should find what's wrong with your build ...

Andi

* Re: Help building gcc
@ 2010-02-09 20:24 ` Andrew Haley
From: Andrew Haley @ 2010-02-09 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: afkoeppel; +Cc: gcc-help

On 02/09/2010 07:22 PM, afkoeppel wrote:

> I am brand new to linux/unix and I am trying to install a program that
> requires gfortran.  My understanding is that gfortran is part of gcc, and
> that I therefore need to install gcc to run it.

You almost certainly do not need to build gcc yourself to get gfortran.

Most, if not all, Linux distributions provide gfortran as a pre-built
package.  If you had told us which Linux distribution you were using,
we might have been able to tell you how to install gfortran.

Andrew.

* Re: Help building gcc
@ 2010-02-09 20:28   ` afkoeppel
From: afkoeppel @ 2010-02-09 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

@ Andrew:

Sorry about that.  I didn't even realize this mattered....or know what a
Linux distribution is.  Googling the answer suggested the way to find out is
to type

'uname -a'

Upon doing so the following appears:

Linux linux-gx0b 2.6.25.20-0.5-default #1 SMP 2009-08-14 01:48:11 +0200
x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

If it is the case that installing gcc is unnecessary I will be very
relieved.  Or has that ship sailed?

Andrew Haley wrote:

> On 02/09/2010 07:22 PM, afkoeppel wrote:
>
>> I am brand new to linux/unix and I am trying to install a program that
>> requires gfortran.  My understanding is that gfortran is part of gcc, and
>> that I therefore need to install gcc to run it.
>
> You almost certainly do not need to build gcc yourself to get gfortran.
>
> Most, if not all, Linux distributions provide gfortran as a pre-built
> package.  If you had told us which Linux distribution you were using,
> we might have been able to tell you how to install gfortran.
>
> Andrew.

* Re: Help building gcc
@ 2010-02-09 20:30   ` afkoeppel
From: afkoeppel @ 2010-02-09 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Thanks for your help.  I gather now from other responses that I may not need
to install gcc at all.  However, just in case, this is the other config.log.
I can't really understand this one any better.

http://old.nabble.com/file/p27521546/config.log config.log

* Re: Help building gcc
@ 2010-02-09 20:31     ` Alfred M. Szmidt
From: Alfred M. Szmidt @ 2010-02-09 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: afkoeppel; +Cc: gcc-help

   Sorry about that.  I didn't even realize this mattered....or know
   what a Linux distribution is.  Googling the answer suggested the
   way to find out is to type

Actually, what you are using is a distribution of the GNU system,
Linux is one of the kernels that can be used with GNU.  You can help
us spread that knowledge by talking about GNU when you talk about
GNU-powered software distributions (a la GNU/Linux instead of just
Linux).  See http://www.gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html for further
information.

But you didn't answer what version of GNU/Linux you are using, is it
Debian? Fedora?  Maybe something else?

* Re: Help building gcc
@ 2010-02-09 20:37     ` afkoeppel
From: afkoeppel @ 2010-02-09 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

afkoeppel wrote:

> @ Andrew:
>
> Sorry about that.  I didn't even realize this mattered....or know what a
> Linux distribution is.  Googling the answer suggested the way to find out
> is to type
>
> 'uname -a'
>
> Upon doing so the following appears:
>
> Linux linux-gx0b 2.6.25.20-0.5-default #1 SMP 2009-08-14 01:48:11 +0200
> x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> If it is the case that installing gcc is unnecessary I will be very
> relieved.  Or has that ship sailed?
>

> Andrew Haley wrote:
>>
>> On 02/09/2010 07:22 PM, afkoeppel wrote:
>>
>>> I am brand new to linux/unix and I am trying to install a program that
>>> requires gfortran.  My understanding is that gfortran is part of gcc,
>>> and
>>> that I therefore need to install gcc to run it.
>>
>> You almost certainly do not need to build gcc yourself to get gfortran.
>>
>> Most, if not all, Linux distributions provide gfortran as a pre-built
>> package.  If you had told us which Linux distribution you were using,
>> we might have been able to tell you how to install gfortran.
>>
>> Andrew.

Oh wait.  Disregard that.  I think it is openSUSE 11.0

* Re: Help building gcc
@ 2010-02-09 20:50       ` Andrew Haley
From: Andrew Haley @ 2010-02-09 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

On 02/09/2010 08:32 PM, afkoeppel wrote:

>> Andrew Haley wrote:

>>> You almost certainly do not need to build gcc yourself to get gfortran.
>>>
>>> Most, if not all, Linux distributions provide gfortran as a pre-built
>>> package.  If you had told us which Linux distribution you were using,
>>> we might have been able to tell you how to install gfortran.
>
> Oh wait.  Disregard that.  I think it is openSUSE 11.0

OK, so I'm just hoping that someone who understands openSUSE is going to
respond.  Fingers crossed...

Andrew.

* Re: Help building gcc
@ 2010-02-10  1:11       ` Alfred M. Szmidt
From: Alfred M. Szmidt @ 2010-02-10  1:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: afkoeppel; +Cc: gcc-help

   Oh wait.  Disregard that.  I think it is openSUSE 11.0

I think the package manager on openSUSE is caled zypper, the old was
was rug.

* Re: Help building gcc
@ 2010-02-10 15:58         ` Axel Freyn
From: Axel Freyn @ 2010-02-10 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

On Tue, Feb 09, 2010 at 08:37:04PM +0000, Andrew Haley wrote:

> > Oh wait.  Disregard that.  I think it is openSUSE 11.0
>
> OK, so I'm just hoping that someone who understands openSUSE is going to
> respond.  Fingers crossed...

There are two possibilities (I used only an older openSUSE once):
(compare the documentation e.g. on http://en.opensuse.org/Package_management)
a) if you start a "Terminal" or "Command line" or "Konsole" (I'm just
    not sure how it is called in openSUSE 11)
   you can:
   - first get "root" privileges by typing "su" and then giving your
     root-password
   - install gfortran by typing "zypper install gfortran"
   He will install everything which is needed to run gfortran

The other possibility is the graphics interface:

b) start "YaST". He will ask for your root-password.
   - In YaST, click on  "Software Management"
   - Then you get a search field, where you can search for "gfortran".
     Select the package in the right window, an click on install.

Both possibilites should work fine also under the new openSUSE.

(You only need to do one of the two possibilites!)

Axel

* Re: Help building GCC
@ 2007-09-13 17:19 ` John Love-Jensen
From: John Love-Jensen @ 2007-09-13 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maldonado-Salgado, Jose (Space Technology), MSX to GCC

Hi Jose,

My apologies, I thought you were attempting the configure step, not the
running of autoconf.

Nevermind.

Sincerely,
--Eljay

* Re: Help building GCC
@ 2007-09-13 17:06   ` John Love-Jensen
From: John Love-Jensen @ 2007-09-13 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Maldonado-Salgado, Jose (Space Technology), MSX to GCC

Hi Jose,

> I followed steps in your configuration link by creating a directory
> objdirppc inside the gnu directory, same level as gcc-4.1.1.

That situation (configuring in the source code directory, or any
subdirectory thereof) is not supported.

q.v. http://gcc.gnu.org/install/configure.html

HTH,
--Eljay

* RE: Help building GCC
@ 2007-09-13 17:01 Maldonado-Salgado, Jose (Space Technology)
From: Maldonado-Salgado, Jose (Space Technology) @ 2007-09-13 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

I checked the dates of all the configure.ac & configure.   Here they
are:

./fixincludes/configure.ac  Jul 16 2005
./gcc/configure.ac  Feb 14 2006
./intl/configure.ac   Sep 22 2004
./libcpp/configure.ac   Oct 8 2005
./libiberty/configure.ac   July 21 2005
./libmudflap/configure.ac  Oct 4 2005
./libssp/configure.ac     Feb 27  2006

./configure    Sep 13 09:35

What should I do based on that ?
Is there a way/flag to prevent the regeneration of configure ?

Thanks

Maldonado-Salgado, Jose (Space Technology) writes:

 > I'm using cygwin to try to build a cross compiler for powerpc 603.
 >
 > In this case I untar the gcc 4.1.1 in:
 >
 > /cygdrive/c/josesdata/gnu/gcc-4.1.1
 >
 > I followed steps in your configuration link by creating a directory
> objdirppc inside the gnu directory, same level as gcc-4.1.1.
 >
 > /cygdrive/c/josesdata/gnu/objdirppc
 >
 > I copy to that directory the Makefile.in file and from that directory
I  > did the following step:

 > /cygdrive/c/josesdata/gnu/gcc-4.1.1/configure --target=powerpc  >
--program-suffix=ppc --enable-threads=vxworks --with-cpu=603  >
--with-arch=603  >  > That step completed, and then I did a make.

 > make is giving the following error:
 >
 > cd . && autoconf
 > autoconf-2.61: no input file
 > make: *** [configure] Error 1
 >

 > Any ideas, what my problem is?

It's to do with timestamps.  If the file configure.ac has been changed,
gcc tries to regenerate the file configure.  Have a look at the
timestamps on configure.ac and configure.

Andrew.

* RE: Help building GCC
@ 2007-09-13 16:30   ` Andrew Haley
From: Andrew Haley @ 2007-09-13 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)