* RE: comments dont compile
@ 2003-03-08  9:40 Ajay Bansal
From: Ajay Bansal @ 2003-03-08  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Paull, gcc-help

What is the error on compilation???

-----Original Message-----
From: David Paull [mailto:etinaznat@hotmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, March 08, 2003 3:00 PM
To: gcc-help@gnu.org
Subject: comments dont compile

hello, i am porting code from windows to linux gcc

apparently, gcc 3.2 doesnt know about comments starting with //

has anyone encountered this problem?
omg, every comment in the code uses //, and not /* */

what can i do?!?!?!?

thanks
dave

* Re: comments dont compile
@ 2003-03-08 22:44 ` LLeweLLyn Reese
From: LLeweLLyn Reese @ 2003-03-08 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Paull; +Cc: gcc-help

"David Paull" <etinaznat@hotmail.com> writes:

> hello, i am porting code from windows to linux gcc
>
> apparently, gcc 3.2 doesnt know about comments starting with //
>
> has anyone encountered this problem?
> omg, every comment in the code uses //, and not /* */
>
> what can i do?!?!?!?

You can read:

gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-3.2.2/gcc/C-Dialect-Options.html#C%20Dialect%20Options

which tells you which command line arguments disable // coments
    feature (it's on by default, but see -ansi and -pedantic) and
    which commands enable it (see -std=c99)

* Re: comments dont compile
@ 2003-03-08 11:20 ` Nathan Sidwell
From: Nathan Sidwell @ 2003-03-08 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Paull; +Cc: gcc-help

David Paull wrote:
> hello, i am porting code from windows to linux gcc
>
> apparently, gcc 3.2 doesnt know about comments starting with //
>
> has anyone encountered this problem?
> omg, every comment in the code uses //, and not /* */
>
> what can i do?!?!?!?
// comments are not KnR nor C89. They are C++ and C99

Use the appropriate language switch.
nathan

          The voices in my head said this was stupid too
nathan@codesourcery.com : http://www.cs.bris.ac.uk/~nathan/ : nathan@acm.org

* comments dont compile
@ 2003-03-08  9:30 David Paull