* Re: problems with make...
       [not found] <420931cd.73b89a7f.78a5.30baSMTPIN_ADDED@mx.gmail.com>
@ 2005-02-09  9:11 ` corey taylor
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: corey taylor @ 2005-02-09  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jupp Tscheak; +Cc: gcc-help

Jupp,

  For what behavior are you looking?

corey

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 22:40:45 +0100, Jupp Tscheak <jupp_tscheak@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we're building our project with automatic generated Makefiles (using qt's
> .pro files, although
> some modules have nothing to do with qt!). The problem is that if a static
> linked library has changed,
> it says "nothing to be done for..." (binary file is older than static lib so
> it should be relinked).
> Does anyone know how to avoid this behavior (any flags for g++)?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Jupp Tscheak

* AW: problems with make...
@ 2005-02-09 14:18   ` Jupp Tscheak
       [not found]   ` <42093505.69af1669.78a5.37f4SMTPIN_ADDED@mx.gmail.com>
From: Jupp Tscheak @ 2005-02-09 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'corey taylor'; +Cc: gcc-help

Hi corey,

if a static linked library has changed the whole binary
should be recomplied. If make notices that any of the sources
are newer than the binary it recompiles. This behaviour should
be the same if the static lib is newer than the binary.
That isn't the case. Can you explain this?

Jupp

> we're building our project with automatic generated Makefiles (using
> qt's .pro files, although some modules have nothing to do with qt!).
> The problem is that if a static linked library has changed, it says
> "nothing to be done for..." (binary file is older than static lib so
> it should be relinked).
> Does anyone know how to avoid this behavior (any flags for g++)?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Jupp Tscheak

* AW: problems with make...
@ 2005-02-09 14:18   ` Jupp Tscheak
       [not found]   ` <42093505.69af1669.78a5.37f4SMTPIN_ADDED@mx.gmail.com>

> we're building our project with automatic generated Makefiles (using
> qt's .pro files, although some modules have nothing to do with qt!).
> The problem is that if a static linked library has changed, it says
> "nothing to be done for..." (binary file is older than static lib so
> it should be relinked).
> Does anyone know how to avoid this behavior (any flags for g++)?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Jupp Tscheak

* Re: AW: problems with make...
       [not found]   ` <42093505.69af1669.78a5.37f4SMTPIN_ADDED@mx.gmail.com>
@ 2005-02-09 15:06     ` corey taylor
From: corey taylor @ 2005-02-09 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jupp Tscheak; +Cc: gcc-help

Well, I don't exactly see why you would want that.

However, that's an automake, make issue.  I'm not sure if you can
specify a binary in the dependency list though.

Corey

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 22:54:42 +0100, Jupp Tscheak <jupp_tscheak@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi corey,
>
> if a static linked library has changed the whole binary
> should be recomplied. If make notices that any of the sources
> are newer than the binary it recompiles. This behaviour should
> be the same if the static lib is newer than the binary.
> That isn't the case. Can you explain this?
>
> Jupp

* RE: AW: problems with make...
@ 2005-02-09 15:10       ` Tony Wetmore
From: Tony Wetmore @ 2005-02-09 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help, 'corey taylor', 'Jupp Tscheak'

Jupp:  This is definitely a question to be answered by a Qt mailing
list.  It has nothing to do with gcc.  Even make is not a part of gcc,
so that likely has its own mailing list as well.

Corey: If you are linking an executable against a static library, as
Jupp is doing, you must re-link the executable if the library changes,
otherwise your executable will NOT see the changes made in the library.
This is definitely something you would do in a Makefile for your
executable, probably something like this:

  executable: main.o staticlibrary.a
    LINK_COMMAND_HERE

That rule would trigger a re-link of the executable if either main.o or
staticlibrary.a were changed.

---
Tony Wetmore
Raytheon Solipsys
mailto:tony.wetmore@solipsys.com
http://www.solipsys.com

wrote:
> Hi corey,
>
> if a static linked library has changed the whole binary should be
> recomplied. If make notices that any of the sources are newer than the

> binary it recompiles. This behaviour should be the same if the static
> lib is newer than the binary. That isn't the case. Can you explain
> this?
>
> Jupp

* Re: AW: problems with make...
@ 2005-02-09 16:01         ` corey taylor
From: corey taylor @ 2005-02-09 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tony Wetmore; +Cc: gcc-help, Jupp Tscheak

I thought he was relinking.  I was expecting that behavior.

He said that he wanted it to rebuild the source, which is what I
didn't understand.

I use Qt's make system and it works rather well.  I'm fairly certain
however that it has no special rules for binary dependencies.  I will
take another look.

corey

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 18:06:12 -0500, Tony Wetmore
<tony.wetmore@solipsys.com> wrote:

> Jupp:  This is definitely a question to be answered by a Qt mailing
> list.  It has nothing to do with gcc.  Even make is not a part of gcc,
> so that likely has its own mailing list as well.
>
> Corey: If you are linking an executable against a static library, as
> Jupp is doing, you must re-link the executable if the library changes,
> otherwise your executable will NOT see the changes made in the library.
> This is definitely something you would do in a Makefile for your
> executable, probably something like this:
>
>   executable: main.o staticlibrary.a
>     LINK_COMMAND_HERE
>
> That rule would trigger a re-link of the executable if either main.o or
> staticlibrary.a were changed.
>
> ---
> Tony Wetmore
> Raytheon Solipsys
> mailto:tony.wetmore@solipsys.com
> http://www.solipsys.com

* Re: AW: problems with make...
@ 2005-02-09 16:09           ` corey taylor
From: corey taylor @ 2005-02-09 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help, Jupp Tscheak

Jupp,

  I was able to find something that might be useful.  I have not used
this specific feature of qmake so I don't know expected behavior.

http://doc.trolltech.com/3.1/qmake-manual-7.html#Environment

There is a section titled "Library Dependencies".  This shows how to
first *enable* and then list the mandatory library linkings.  qmake
will generate a dependency list by going through the static libs
specified.

However, I do not know what kind of re-linking or re-building behavior
a changed library dependency will invoke.

corey

* Re: AW: problems with make...
       [not found] <20050208215432.21492.qmail@gossamer.airs.com>
@ 2005-02-09 16:28 ` Ian Lance Taylor
From: Ian Lance Taylor @ 2005-02-09 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jupp Tscheak; +Cc: 'corey taylor', gcc-help

"Jupp Tscheak" <jupp_tscheak@gmx.de> writes:

> if a static linked library has changed the whole binary
> should be recomplied. If make notices that any of the sources
> are newer than the binary it recompiles. This behaviour should
> be the same if the static lib is newer than the binary.
> That isn't the case. Can you explain this?

It sounds like you haven't written your Makefile correctly.  The
executable should depend upon the library.

In any case, this does not sound like a compiler issue.

Ian