* How to install gcc on windows.
@ 2005-05-14 21:09 Gregory W. Ernest
From: Gregory W. Ernest @ 2005-05-14 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

I need help installing gcc 4.0.0 on windows. I have downloaded and
succesfully unzipped the tar file. I posted a message on the gcc-help
newsgroup and I got a very vague response from someone. I am running windows
xp service pack 2, and I wanted to learn to program in my spar time. I was
told that the gnu compiler was the best and not only that free. However, I
just can't figure out how to install it. Can someone send me step by step
instructions on how to install gcc 4.0.0 on windows. It is safe to assume
that I know absolutely no UNIX or LINUX commands and don't know how to use
them. I don't mean to be a pain but, the more detailed the instructions the
better.

Thank in advance,

Gregory

* Re: How to install gcc on windows.
@ 2005-05-14 21:27 ` jlh
From: jlh @ 2005-05-14 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gregory W. Ernest, gcc-help

Gregory W. Ernest wrote:
> I need help installing gcc 4.0.0 on windows. I have downloaded and
> succesfully unzipped the tar file.

You might have got the source of gcc, which is not what you want,
especially not if you don't already have a compiler.

> I posted a message on the gcc-help
> newsgroup and I got a very vague response from someone. I am running windows
> xp service pack 2, and I wanted to learn to program in my spar time. I was
> told that the gnu compiler was the best and not only that free. However, I
> just can't figure out how to install it. Can someone send me step by step
> instructions on how to install gcc 4.0.0 on windows. It is safe to assume
> that I know absolutely no UNIX or LINUX commands and don't know how to use
> them. I don't mean to be a pain but, the more detailed the instructions the
> better.

Given your situation, I'd suggest you to have a look at Dev-C++, which
is "a full-featured Integrated Development Environment for C/C++" for
windows.  It comes with gcc and all other necessary tools for getting
you started.  (It's not version 4.0.0 of gcc, but that's just fine).
See http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html

jlh

* Re: How to install gcc on windows.
@ 2005-05-14 21:54 ` Eljay Love-Jensen
From: Eljay Love-Jensen @ 2005-05-14 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gregory W. Ernest, gcc-help

Hi Gregory,

Which GNU GCC 4.0 distribution for Windows are you using?

The one from Cygwin (www.cygwin.com) or MinGW (www.mingw.org)?

--Eljay

* Re: How to install gcc on windows.
@ 2005-05-15  0:17   ` corey taylor
From: corey taylor @ 2005-05-15  0:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eljay Love-Jensen; +Cc: Gregory W. Ernest, gcc-help

Is there a Mingw 4.0 port yet?

corey

@ 2005-05-16  5:28     ` David Gressett
From: David Gressett @ 2005-05-16  5:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: corey taylor; +Cc: gcc-help

At 07:16 PM 5/14/2005, corey taylor wrote:
>Is there a Mingw 4.0 port yet?
>
>corey

No, and it may be a while before there is one. The MinGW version of gcc
patches the original GNU version in many places; the most recent MinGW
version is 3.4.2; Only a few of these patches have made it into GNU gcc
4.0.0, and some will have to be done differently or not at all due to
changes between 3.4 and 4. The GNU gcc web site contains one report of a
successful build of unpatched gcc 4.0.0 in a MinGW environment; the person
reporting built only c and c++, none of the other languages,and could not
do detailed testing, as he didn't have MinGW ports of the necessary
software tools needed to do the testing.

I have found that Ada will not build, even with the 3.4.2 patches applied
to the Ada part of the gcc source code. I haven't tried any of the other
languages yet.

It's very unlikely that you will get MinGW gcc 4.0.x until all of the
languages work ok.  The MinGW environment is not a "must-have" item for the
gcc development team, so it gets left to the Cygwin and MingW folks to make
it work on Windows. They don't have infinite free time to work on compiler
releases. There is no guarantee that the x in MinGW 4.0.x will be 0. I will
be surprised if it is less than 2.

* Re: How to install gcc on windows.
@ 2005-05-16 14:37       ` corey taylor
From: corey taylor @ 2005-05-16 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Gressett; +Cc: gcc-help

I think 4.0.2 is more than reasonable.  The last time I looked
at/worked with the Mingw port mods (for a GC build), they were very
extensive and 4.0 is just released!

Dev-C++ works great with 3.4, and I've compiled extensive libraries
with it successfully.

corey