* C++ static member function reported as undefined references by linker?
@ 2005-10-27 16:16 David Cespedes
From: David Cespedes @ 2005-10-27 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Can you help with this issue, in regards to C++ static member functions and why they are reported as undefined references by the linker?

Please see attached email trail!

Best Regards
Daveed
From: corey taylor @ 2005-10-27 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Cespedes; +Cc: gcc-help

David,

  As far as I know, they only have external linkage if the class has
external linkage.

Corey

@ 2005-11-05 20:55 ` Nathan Sidwell
From: Nathan Sidwell @ 2005-11-05 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Cespedes; +Cc: gcc-help

David Cespedes wrote:
> Can you help with this issue, in regards to C++ static member functions and why they are reported as undefined references by the linker?
>
> Please see attached email trail!

please provide a complete test case, I can't figure out from the email trail
what you;re trying to compile.

nathan

* Re: C++ static member function reported as undefined references by linker?
@ 2005-11-05 21:23   ` corey taylor
From: corey taylor @ 2005-11-05 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nathan Sidwell; +Cc: David Cespedes, gcc-help

He was trying to use an old gcc version to compile some code that had
a global namespace declared class and static class method.

The issue was that the static class method wasn't given external
linkage in that version without declaring the class in a named
namespace.

For about a day, I mistakenly said it was appropriate behavior because
the class wasn't declared in a proper namespace, but after coming to
my senses and the spec, it clearly should have external linkage now
(2003 spec).

I gave him the work-a-round for that old gcc to simply declare the
class inside of a named namespace instead of global namespace.

corey

       [not found] <764B61E47816BC47B59D1A8B15DF01070C0492@digiexch02.iodigi.ioroot.tld>
@ 2005-10-28 15:39 ` corey taylor
From: corey taylor @ 2005-10-28 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Cespedes, gcc-help

Hi David,

  I believe that I mispoke about part of it and the named class should
give external linkage to its members.

  Just a little too busy my apologies!

@ 2005-10-27 18:47 ` corey taylor
From: corey taylor @ 2005-10-27 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Cespedes; +Cc: gcc-help

I don't have that book and will have to wait for someone else to
comment on the passage.

Considering what the static member function is, it would seem logical
to default to internal linkage in accordance with other static
declarations.

@ 2005-10-27 18:38 David Cespedes

       [not found] <764B61E47816BC47B59D1A8B15DF01070C0488@digiexch02.iodigi.ioroot.tld>
@ 2005-10-27 18:06 ` corey taylor