* 64 bit assignment on a 32 bit platform
@ 2007-10-29 10:15 kum
From: kum @ 2007-10-29 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi,

UINT64 a64; // UINT64 has been typedefed as long long unsigned int
UINT32 a32, b32;
a32 = x; // some value
b32 = y; // some value

a64 = a32 * b32;
a64 += a32 + b32;

Is it necessary to type-cast both a32 and b32 to yield correct 64 bit
results? Without casting, I find that addition (even if the result
overflows) works while the multiplication does not. Is there a
compiler option to make this work without casting? I am using gcc
4.1.1 on an xscale platform.

Thank you all,
kumaresh

* Re: 64 bit assignment on a 32 bit platform
@ 2007-10-29 10:16 ` Andrew Haley
From: Andrew Haley @ 2007-10-29 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kum; +Cc: gcc-help

kum writes:
 > Hi,
 >
 > UINT64 a64; // UINT64 has been typedefed as long long unsigned int
 > UINT32 a32, b32;
 > a32 = x; // some value
 > b32 = y; // some value
 >
 > a64 = a32 * b32;
 > a64 += a32 + b32;
 >
 > Is it necessary to type-cast both a32 and b32 to yield correct 64 bit
 > results? Without casting, I find that addition (even if the result
 > overflows) works while the multiplication does not. Is there a
 > compiler option to make this work without casting? I am using gcc
 > 4.1.1 on an xscale platform.

You have to cast at leat one of the operands in a binary operation to
get the widening to anything wider than int.

Andrew.

* Re: 64 bit assignment on a 32 bit platform
@ 2007-10-29 10:25   ` kum
From: kum @ 2007-10-29 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Haley; +Cc: gcc-help

Thanks Andrew

Andrew>You have to cast at least one of the operands in a binary operation to
Andrew> get the widening to anything wider than int.
Is this true if int is 16 bits wide (i.e. 16 bit machine) and the
l-value is 32 bits wide?

Thanks,

@ 2007-10-29 10:39     ` Andrew Haley
From: Andrew Haley @ 2007-10-29 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kum; +Cc: gcc-help

kum writes:
 > Thanks Andrew
 >
 > Andrew>You have to cast at least one of the operands in a binary operation to
 > Andrew> get the widening to anything wider than int.

 > Is this true if int is 16 bits wide (i.e. 16 bit machine) and the
 > l-value is 32 bits wide?

It's true everywhere, all the time.

Andrew.

* Re: 64 bit assignment on a 32 bit platform
@ 2007-10-29 10:40       ` kum
From: kum @ 2007-10-29 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Haley; +Cc: gcc-help

Thanks again.

@ 2007-10-29 11:08 ` Rask Ingemann Lambertsen
From: Rask Ingemann Lambertsen @ 2007-10-29 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kum; +Cc: gcc-help

On Mon, Oct 29, 2007 at 03:37:04PM +0530, kum wrote:
> Hi,
>
> UINT64 a64; // UINT64 has been typedefed as long long unsigned int
> UINT32 a32, b32;
> a32 = x; // some value
> b32 = y; // some value
>
> a64 = a32 * b32;
> a64 += a32 + b32;
>
> Is it necessary to type-cast both a32 and b32 to yield correct 64 bit
> results?

"a64 = a32 * b32" multiplies two 32-bit numbers to give a 32-bit result,
which is then zero-extended to 64 bits. If you want an expanding
multiplication, use "a64 = (UINT64) a32 * (UINT64) b32".

> Without casting, I find that addition (even if the result
> overflows) works while the multiplication does not.

   Which of the two additions are you talking about? Could you perhaps post
some assembly (-O2 -S -dp) of this code?

#include <stdint.h>

uint64_t a;

void addtest1 (uint32_t b, uint32_t c)
{
  a += b + c;
}

> Is there a
> compiler option to make this work without casting? I am using gcc
> 4.1.1 on an xscale platform.

   It would appear to work the way it is supposed to and I don't know of any
option to change that.

--
Rask Ingemann Lambertsen

* Re: 64 bit assignment on a 32 bit platform
@ 2007-10-29 15:40   ` kum
From: kum @ 2007-10-29 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rask Ingemann Lambertsen; +Cc: gcc-help

> Without casting, I find that addition (even if the result
> overflows) works while the multiplication does not.
Sorry, addition behaves the same way as multiplication. Thanks for your help.

Thanks all,
kumaresh