* Warning when passing int, but unsigned int is awaited?
@ 2008-02-13 16:04 Rene Perlberg
From: Rene Perlberg @ 2008-02-13 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hello everyone,

following scenario:

void func(unsigned int _u)
{
//do a lot of stuff
}

int main()
{
int i = -1;
func(i);
return 0;
}

Is there any way to make the compiler write a warning or an error, when an int is passed to a function which awaits an unsigned int? I tried some of the options gcc gives the user, but nothing worked for me.

I'm using gcc, version 4.1.3 20070929.

Best regards.

* Re: Warning when passing int, but unsigned int is awaited?
@ 2008-02-13 16:12 ` John Love-Jensen
From: John Love-Jensen @ 2008-02-13 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rene Perlberg, MSX to GCC

Hi Rene,

> Is there any way to make the compiler write a warning or an error, when an int
> is passed to a function which awaits an unsigned int? I tried some of the
> options gcc gives the user, but nothing worked for me.

Try: -Wconversion

HTH,
--Eljay

* Re: Warning when passing int, but unsigned int is awaited?
@ 2008-02-13 16:26   ` Rene Perlberg
From: Rene Perlberg @ 2008-02-13 16:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Love-Jensen, gcc-help

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 10:11:53 -0600
> Von: John Love-Jensen <eljay@adobe.com>
> An: Rene Perlberg <Perle5000@gmx.de>, MSX to GCC <gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org>
> Betreff: Re: Warning when passing int, but unsigned int is awaited?

> Hi Rene,
>
> > Is there any way to make the compiler write a warning or an error, when
> an int
> > is passed to a function which awaits an unsigned int? I tried some of
> the
> > options gcc gives the user, but nothing worked for me.
>
> Try: -Wconversion

Hey Eljay,

I forgot to tell, that I already tried some options, which are -Wall -Wextra -pedantic and also -Wconversion, but none of these worked for me.

Maybe it is intended by gcc not to give a warning, because it is c++ standard to make an implicite conversion?

Regards, PiJ.

* Re: Warning when passing int, but unsigned int is awaited?
@ 2008-02-13 16:52     ` John Love-Jensen
From: John Love-Jensen @ 2008-02-13 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rene Perlberg, MSX to GCC

Hi Rene,

It works on my compiler.  Using C.

I think the -Wconversion feature was busted (perhaps still is busted) for
C++.  I vaguely recall that someone (one of the developers of GCC itself)
mentioned that before, on this forum.  And that there was a bug filed on it
already.

Try GCC 4.2.3, or if you are in a daring mood GCC 4.3.0.

HTH,
--Eljay

* Re: Warning when passing int, but unsigned int is awaited?
@ 2008-02-13 21:06       ` Robert William Fuller
From: Robert William Fuller @ 2008-02-13 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Love-Jensen; +Cc: Rene Perlberg, MSX to GCC

John Love-Jensen wrote:
> It works on my compiler.  Using C.

It works for some value of work on gcc-4.1.2.  It reports on things that
clearly have no width difference.  Am I detecting a theme with these
less used compiler warnings?  (Note that -Wunreachable-code reports
erroneously as well.)

@ 2008-02-13 23:58         ` James Tebneff
From: James Tebneff @ 2008-02-13 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert William Fuller; +Cc: John Love-Jensen, Rene Perlberg, MSX to GCC

On Feb 14, 2008 7:36 AM, Robert William Fuller
<hydrologiccycle@gmail.com> wrote:
> John Love-Jensen wrote:
> > It works on my compiler.  Using C.
>
> It works for some value of work on gcc-4.1.2.  It reports on things that
> clearly have no width difference.  Am I detecting a theme with these
> less used compiler warnings?  (Note that -Wunreachable-code reports
> erroneously as well.)
>

> > I think the -Wconversion feature was busted (perhaps still is busted) for

Hi,

I was under the impression that this feature is being worked on currently.

http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/NewWconversion

Regards,
JT