* RE: Compiling Template Instantiations
@ 2003-11-12 21:32 lrtaylor
From: lrtaylor @ 2003-11-12 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: marin, gcc-help; +Cc: tmm

This isn't necessarily related to your problem, but you should be
including iostream instead of iostream.h.  iostream.h is deprecated (not
part of ANSI C++) and will likely not be supported at some point in the
future.

As for your problem, you might look into the -functsect argument to GCC
and -combreloc argument to ld.  I think both of these have the potential
of reducing your executable's size by removing duplicate function
definitions, etc.

Cheers,
Lyle

I am including iostream.h into many of my  C++ modules.  Apparently the
object files generated are quite large because of the Templates in
iosteam.h.  I am using the C++ compiler g++ version 3.3.
Is there anyway around this problem of code bloat when using existing
Templates provided with the compiler.

Thanks in advance.

- Tom

* Compiling Template Instantiations
@ 2003-11-12 20:50 Tom marin
From: Tom marin @ 2003-11-12 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help; +Cc: tmm

I am including iostream.h into many of my  C++ modules.  Apparently the
object files generated are quite large because of the Templates in
iosteam.h.  I am using the C++ compiler g++ version 3.3.
Is there anyway around this problem of code bloat when using existing
Templates provided with the compiler.

Thanks in advance.

- Tom

<<<Disclaimer>>>

In compliance with applicable rules and regulations, Instinet
reviews and archives incoming and outgoing email communications,
copies of which may be produced at the request of regulators.
This message is intended only for the personal and confidential
use of the recipients named above.  If the reader of this email
is not the intended recipient, you have received this email in
error and any review, dissemination, distribution or copying is
strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error,
please notify the sender immediately by return email and
permanently delete the copy you received.

Instinet accepts no liability for any content contained in the
email, or any errors or omissions arising as a result of email
transmission. Any opinions contained in this email constitute
the sender's best judgment at this time and are subject to change
without notice.   Instinet does not make recommendations of a
particular security and the information contained in this email
should not be considered as a recommendation, an offer or a
solicitation of an offer to buy and sell securities.