* Help with g77 (DESPERATELY)
@ 2002-04-24  9:58 Karenstewart2
From: Karenstewart2 @ 2002-04-24  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi!

My name is Karen and I'm a math and computer science teacher at a small middle school.  I want to introduce my students into computer programming using Fortran 77.  I found on the web free software and downloaded it (called Vfort).  I have keyed a short simple program on it but I don't know how to execute it.

On the tool bar there is a book labeled as GNU Fortran Compiler. But, the program doesn't give me the option to execute it.  I'm assuming what has happened is this:  the software I'm using for Fortran 77 uses the GNU as the compiler to run the programs but in order to do that I also have to install the GNU compiler software.

Am I correct? If so, where can I get it?  According to the website, it is free software also but no options for downloading it.

If I'm not correct, do you have a clue of how to execute the program?  (In my days of computer programming we still keyed cards......so I'm a little behind with programming)  Can you help?

Thanks

* Re: Help with g77 (DESPERATELY)
@ 2002-04-24 13:03 ` bjorn rohde jensen
From: bjorn rohde jensen @ 2002-04-24 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi Karen,

 I believe, you are right, and Vfort does depend on
g77 for actually generating code. You can get the
source for gcc from a gcc mirror:

http://gcc.gnu.org/mirrors.html

 I am not sure, where you would get a binary
distribution for windows though, in case you
dont want to build gcc yourself.

Yours sincerely,

Bjorn

* Re: Help with g77 (DESPERATELY)
@ 2002-04-24 14:32 ` Toon Moene
From: Toon Moene @ 2002-04-24 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karenstewart2; +Cc: gcc-help

Karenstewart2@aol.com wrote:

> On the tool bar there is a book labeled as GNU Fortran Compiler. But, the program doesn't give me the option to execute it.  I'm assuming what has happened is this:  the software I'm using for Fortran 77 uses the GNU as the compiler to run the programs but in order to do that I also have to install the GNU compiler software.
>
> Am I correct? If so, where can I get it?

Well, I can't say if you're correct because you forgot to include the
URL to that web page :-)

However, if you just want to download the GNU compiler stuff, go to this

In the left column you'll find "Binaries", which will lead you to a list
of URL's to pre-built compilers.

Hope this helps,

* Re: Help with g77 (DESPERATELY)
@ 2002-04-24 20:08   ` Ish Rattan
From: Ish Rattan @ 2002-04-24 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Vfort is just a shell for editing programs is supposed to be a
visual front end to g77..

-ishwar

@ 2002-04-24 17:04 Dockeen
From: Dockeen @ 2002-04-24 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hassan - I'm hitting myself for not making that suggestion.  One addition I
would make if you  do in fact consider the Python route - try VPython, it
adds to Python a good IDE, and fantastic, easy to use (I use them) 2D and 3D
graphics:

www.vpython.org

You'll end up downloading the basic Python (theres a link there), and the
VPython additions, the install has always been clean and easy for me.

One nice thing about Python is that while the syntax is pretty easy, it does
allow the user to put programs together in a structured way.  And, it is
interpreted, so you don't have to fight the compiler to get the right things
linked etc.  Plenty of time for that later when they are old and senile
Ph.D.'s like me.

Now that the nice gcc folks here are really mad at me...

Wait, I just remembered yet another Fortran idea.  There is an add-on to the
LCC C compiler that lets it do Fortran, and its free....  Sorry, muddying
the waters...

Wayne Keen

* RE: Help with g77 (DESPERATELY)
@ 2002-04-24 15:14 Hassan Aurag
From: Hassan Aurag @ 2002-04-24 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Karenstewart2@aol.com', gcc-help

Hi,

May I suggest, you use "Python" as an introduction to programming for
your students. Benefits are:

1- Easy to learn for you and them. It has been originally created and
used to teach programming to non-programmers.
2- You can download an executable for it for Windows or whatever you are
using, without compilation ........
3- There are tons of small things that can be done quickly with it.

For more info: visit http://www.python.org

This is how I started programming. Fortran came in later.

@ 2002-04-24 14:32 Dr. Wayne Keen
From: Dr. Wayne Keen @ 2002-04-24 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

My only experience in using g77 on a PC platform has been through Cygwin and
DJGPP.
Both of these are free.  Cygwin in particular though gives some of the look
and feel
of running UNIX on a PC platform.  For your application though, this may or
may not
be desireable. DLGPP is a little more DOS in feel.

I have used Cygwin for years, because I work in both the PC world and the
UNIX world,
and it doesn't hurt that you get most of the gcc suite (c, c++, fortran for
free).
I have only recently started playing with DJGPP, but it seems to work
reasonably well,
and they even gave gcc-3.1 available.

Wayne Keen