From: Guardian <guardianNOSTUFF@sdf.lonestar.org>
To: help-gcc@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Internal compiler error
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 1999 13:49:00 -0000	[thread overview]

jwk wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Sep 1999 15:48:45 -0400, Guardian
> <guardianNOSTUFF@sdf.lonestar.org> wrote:
> >Comments: Buggy compiler, how to compile a compiler with a buggy
> >compiler, what do I need to upgrade on Slackware 4.0
> >
> >xgcc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 11
> >make[2]: *** [cccp.o] Error 1
>
> There is a sig11-HowTo floating around (try ftpsearch to retrieve it)
> which says it is *almost always* a hardware fault (bad ram, overclocked
> CPU, fan failure etc) but I can attest from personal experience that if
> it happens during make bootstrap *and always at exactly the same point*
> it may also be your libc-libraries and your libc-header files are not
> compatible.....
>
> Jurriaan
>
> --
> proof by intimidation:
>         'Trivial'.

Yes, the problem was...

A few months ago I had a bad cyrix 233mhz processor.  While trying to
determine the problem, I swapped processors, puting in a 200mhz cyrix
chip; since it fixed my boot problem, I left it in never setting my
jumper to match the 200.  Setting my bus speed back to 66mhz fixed all
my compiler problems.

Strange it did not show up except when trying to compile C++ programs.
I could run linux with kde, or fvwm, and serveral other programs at
once, even started X sever on two terminal -- had no problems all this
while.

Thanks for the tip, but I had already spent day and night and found the
sig11 howto.  During the last failed build it gave a sig139 (processor
driver dumped core) and a search led me the proper page.

Thanks again,

Guardian

WARNING: multiple messages have this Message-ID
From: Guardian <guardianNOSTUFF@sdf.lonestar.org>
To: help-gcc@gnu.org
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 1999 13:57:00 -0000	[thread overview]