* 64 bit in sparc
@ 1999-12-04 13:55 James Stine
From: James Stine @ 1999-12-04 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

Hi,

OK.  Lets not beat around the bush.  Can I use gcc to compile 64-bit
datatypes that employ equivalent 64-bit hardware in the Ultrasparc
(specifically the ultrasparc 5).  I would rather not install gcc (using
sparc64-sun-solaris2.7)  and then purchase Sun's ld.  I don't see why it
can't be done using binutils.  Has anybody tried this or is willing?  I am
willing to help somebody with the port, because, going at it solo always
seems to be more work than it seems.  Take care.

James Stine
jstine@ece.iit.edu

* Re: 64 bit in sparc
@ 1999-12-09 21:33 ` Mark McGee
From: Mark McGee @ 1999-12-09 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

I encountered problems with Sun Ultra 10's + 5's w/Solaris 2.7(it flat does
not work, gcc goes nuts when you kick off a compile).  I found a reference
that states that 64 bit and Solaris 2.7 are not supported by GCC.  Any
further insight would be great, here is the reference I found:

http://www.gnu.org/software/gcc/install/specific.html#sparc-sun-solaris2.7

relevant entry below:
sparc64-*-*

GCC version 2.95 is not able to compile code correctly for sparc64
targets. Users of the Linux kernel, at least, can use the
sparc32 program to start up a new shell invocation with an environment
that causes configure to recognize (via uname -a)
the system as sparc-*-* instead.

--
Mark McGee

Sterling Software
Information Technology Division
1404 Ft. Crook Rd. So.
Bellevue NE 68005-2969
voice (402)291-8300
fax (402)291-4362

mark_mcgee@itd.sterling.com

I have had my results for a long time: but I do not yet know how I am to
arrive at them.  Gauss, Karl Friedrich (1777-1855)

* Re: 64 bit in sparc
@ 1999-12-31 22:24   ` Mark McGee
From: Mark McGee @ 1999-12-31 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc