* gcc installation problem
@ 2000-04-05 23:22 Gilad Even-Tzur
From: Gilad Even-Tzur @ 2000-04-05 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

Hi There,

I will be very grateful to get some help from you. While I try to
install gcc on my machine at the configuration stage I get the following

error message:
Can not find install-sh or install.sh
I completely donÂ’t know what to do to pass this error. Can you help me
with it?

Thanks in advance,
Gilad

--
Dr. Gilad Even-Tzur
Geodetic Engineering, Faculty of Civil Engineering

* Re: Gcc installation problem
       [not found] <002a01c36409$72d08fa0$2c7b2e80@ee271dpc5>
@ 2003-08-16 15:30 ` Andrew Pinski
From: Andrew Pinski @ 2003-08-16 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Long Fei; +Cc: Andrew Pinski, gcc-help

On Saturday, Aug 16, 2003, at 11:17 US/Eastern, Long Fei wrote:

> I tried a few simple programs in spec2000 benchmark. They are very
> simple C programs. I also had this problem with my own simple C code.
> Gcc3.3 always looks for header files in /usr/include which is naturally
> incompatible since those files comes with gcc 2.96.

No the files in /usr/include are not incompatible with gcc3.3 as the
files in there come with glibc and other libraries and not GCC.
What are errors are you receiving and maybe someone can help you.

Thanks,
Andrew Pinski

* Gcc installation problem
@ 2003-08-16 15:14 Long Fei
From: Long Fei @ 2003-08-16 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

I followed the instructions in the manual and successfully built and
installed gcc3.3. Problem occurred when I tried to compile C/C++ src
with gcc3.3. Details are given below:

System: Red Hat Linux 7.2, P4 server
Because this version of linux ships with the defective gcc 2.96, I tried
to install gcc3.3 for myself. So the new gcc is not installed in the
default /usr/local directory since I don't have root privillege. I
installed gcc in a directory different from the gcc source directory, as
recommended in the installation manual.

I strictly followed the steps in the manual. Successfully built &
installed gcc.

The new gcc can now compile some simple programs without header files.
When I tried some real programs, a lot of errors reported in compiling
process. Most of them were reporting that there are errors in the header
files. I found those incompatible header files were in /usr/include, so
I guess they were the header files of gcc2.96.

I then tried -I/-I- directives to give the specific path of the new gcc
include directory. I also put the new gcc paths in the beginning of PATH
env varible.  But the problems remained. The new gcc was still unable to
find the correct include files.

Could anybody tell me what I need to do to properly configure gcc3.3
after installation ? Especially how to solve this header file problem.

Thanks a lot!

* Re: Gcc installation problem
       [not found] <002801c36407$3ff5fc20$2c7b2e80@ee271dpc5>
@ 2003-08-16 15:08 ` Andrew Pinski
From: Andrew Pinski @ 2003-08-16 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Long Fei; +Cc: gcc-help

What errors are you receiving?
Is your program a c++ program, if it is make sure that you are using
right namespace?
For an example:
#include <iostream>
int main(){cout<<"Hello World\n";}
Should be become
#include <iostream>
int main(){std::cout<<"Hello World\n";}

I moved it to there.

Thanks,
Andrew Pinski

       [not found] <616BE6A276E3714788D2AC35C40CD18D6BFC5C@whale.softwire.co.uk>
@ 2002-07-01  1:01 ` Rupert Wood
From: Rupert Wood @ 2002-07-01  1:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'yt wang'; +Cc: gcc-help

:
> libtool: link: only absolute run-paths are allowed

Relative paths don't work as prefixes; you need to specify the full
path, e.g.

    ../gcc-3.0.3/configure --prefix=/home/arch03/apps/gcc-3.0.3

You appear to be trying to set the executable prefix to the build
directory; that's probably not a good idea. You probably don't need to
set exec-prefix (it'll default to the same as prefix) unless you've got
many systems mounting the same home directory over NFS and want
different binaries for each but maintain a shared directory for scripts,
etc.

Hope that helps,
Rup.

* gcc installation problem
@ 2002-06-30 21:11 yt wang
From: yt wang @ 2002-06-30 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi, Sir/Madam:

   I have tried to install gcc on solaris 8 platform,
but got stuck. The attached file describes the
problem. Could you please help me if you know how to
resolve it, or direct me to someone who might know it?

  thanks a lot in advance,

  yt (8-)

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com

[-- Attachment #2: gcc_error --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 2504 bytes --]

Problem descriptions: (in solaris 8)

1). I create the source directory, gcc-3.0.3:

       tar xvf gcc-3.0.3.tar

    then, the object directory, gcc-exec:

       mkdir  gcc-exec

2). I configure the gcc in gcc-exec:

 (either   ../gcc-3.0.3/configure  --prefix=../gcc-3.0.3  --exec-prefix=.
   or      ../gcc-3.0.3/configure  --prefix=../gcc-3.0.3  --exec-prefix=.  --disable-nls )

    it seems to be successfully done either way.

3). Then, I do the

    make bootstrap

   It runs for about 65 minutes, then the following situation occurs, and the make got aborted:

mkdir .libs
ar rc .libs/libsupc++convenience.a  del_op.o del_opnt.o del_opv.o del_opvnt.o eh_alloc.o eh_aux_runtime.o eh_catch.o eh_exception.o eh_globals.o eh_personality.o eh_terminate.o eh_throw.o new_handler.o new_op.o new_opnt.o new_opv.o new_opvnt.o pure.o tinfo.o tinfo2.o vec.o
true .libs/libsupc++convenience.a
creating libsupc++convenience.la
(cd .libs && rm -f libsupc++convenience.la && ln -s ../libsupc++convenience.la libsupc++convenience.la)
/bin/sh ../libtool --tag CXX --tag disable-shared           --mode=link /home/arch03/apps/gcc-exe/gcc/xgcc -B/home/arch03/apps/gcc-exe/gcc/ -nostdinc++  -L/home/arch03/apps/gcc-exe/sparc-sun-solaris2.8/libstdc++-v3/src -L/home/arch03/apps/gcc-exe/sparc-sun-solaris2.8/libstdc++-v3/src/.libs -B./sparc-sun-solaris2.8/bin/ -B./sparc-sun-solaris2.8/lib/ -isystem ./sparc-sun-solaris2.8/include             -fno-implicit-templates        -prefer-pic   -Wall -Wno-format -W -Wwrite-strings -Winline  -fdiagnostics-show-location=once                 -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections  -g    -o libsupc++.la -rpath ./lib  del_op.lo del_opnt.lo del_opv.lo del_opvnt.lo eh_alloc.lo eh_aux_runtime.lo eh_catch.lo eh_exception.lo eh_globals.lo eh_personality.lo eh_terminate.lo eh_throw.lo new_handler.lo new_op.lo new_opnt.lo new_opv.lo new_opvnt.lo pure.lo tinfo.lo tinfo2.lo vec.lo  -lm
libtool: link: only absolute run-paths are allowed
make[4]: *** [libsupc++.la] Error 1
make[4]: Leaving directory `/home/arch03/apps/gcc-exe/sparc-sun-solaris2.8/libstdc++-v3/libsupc++'
make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/arch03/apps/gcc-exe/sparc-sun-solaris2.8/libstdc++-v3'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/arch03/apps/gcc-exe/sparc-sun-solaris2.8/libstdc++-v3'
make[1]: *** [all-target-libstdc++-v3] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/arch03/apps/gcc-exe'
make: *** [bootstrap] Error 2

* Re: GCC Installation problem
@ 2001-04-05 19:05 ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 2001-04-05 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kyamada; +Cc: gcc-help

On Apr  5, 2001, kyamada@alpine-usa.com wrote:

> I'm trying to install gcc into Redhat Linux 7. When I tried to install it
> I got following error. Is there any way to fix this problem?

> ./configure: gcc: command not found
> *** The command 'gcc -o conftest -g   conftest.c' failed.
> *** You must set the environment variable CC to a working compiler.

Looks like you still don't have a compiler, which you need to compile
anything at all, even another compiler.  You may install the GCC that
came with your Red Hat Linux 7 distribution and use it to build your
own copy of GCC.

* GCC Installation problem
@ 2001-04-05 18:08 kyamada
From: kyamada @ 2001-04-05 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hello.
I'm trying to install gcc into Redhat Linux 7. When I tried to install it
I got following error. Is there any way to fix this problem?

[oracle@njweb1 gcc-2.95.2]$ ./configure

Configuring for a i686-pc-linux-gnuoldld host.
Created "Makefile" in /download/gcc-2.95.2
./configure: gcc: command not found
*** The command 'gcc -o conftest -g   conftest.c' failed.
*** You must set the environment variable CC to a working compiler.

Best Regards
Kenny Yamada

* GCC Installation Problem
@ 2000-10-20  1:34 TEO Poh Kwee
From: TEO Poh Kwee @ 2000-10-20  1:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org'

Hi! I downloaded the GCC 2.95.2 and tried to install it on my HP-UX 10.20 according to guidelines provided by the gnu.org website. First I created a directory called /gcc and executed command "srcdir/configure" in this directory. Everything seemed fine. Then I executed "make bootstrap" in the same directory, after a long wait (more than an hour) with lots of warning messages appeared on the screen, the make process terminated with the following messages:

extension list not found
make all-recursive
extension list not found
Making all in intl
Making all in lib
Making all in makeinfo
Bootstrapping the compiler
make CC="cc" libdir=
/usr/local/lib LANGUAGES="c"
rm -f cpp
ln cccp cpp
(cd intl && make all)
./gencheck > tem-check.h
sh: ./gencheck: execute permission denied
*** error end code 126
terminate
*** error end code 1
terminate
*** error end code 1
terminate
#

What's going wrong? Before the installation, I installed 2 patches namely, PHCO_19798 and PHCO_20441, which I downloaded from the HP website (as recommended by the gnu.org site).
Does the problem has to do with the patches?

* gcc:installation problem
@ 1999-10-31 13:57 ` oupegt
From: oupegt @ 1999-10-31 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

I'm running a Solaris 2.6 on a Sparc20 and I want to install
gcc-2.9.5.1 from the source code on my machine. I have installed
gcc-2.7.2 in my /opt/local/bin directory from a package I got from
sunfreeware.com. When I run the configure command though, I keep
getting an error.

sun1% setenv CC /opt/local/bin/gcc
sun1% ../gcc2951/configure

Configuring for a sparc-sun-solaris2.6 host.
Created "Makefile" in /data2/home/thomas/misc/compdir/gccod using
"mh-frag"
gcc: installation problem, cannot exec `cpp': No such file or
directory
*** The command '/opt/local/bin/gcc -o conftest -g   conftest.c'
failed.
*** You must set the environment variable CC to a working compiler.

sun1(74)% gcc -v

gcc version 2.7.2.2

I have tried this with /usr/ucb set both before and after my gcc bin
directory but to no avail. Can anyone figure out what's going on?

Please respond both to this newsgroup and via e-mail.

May care go with you and Peace,
Emile G. Thomas
oupegt@hotmail.com.nospam <remove ".nospam" to send real e-mail>

* Re: gcc:installation problem
@ 1999-10-31 13:57       ` Paul D. Smith
From: Paul D. Smith @ 1999-10-31 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

%% oupegt@hotmail.com.nospam writes:

  o> I used "find" to locate cpp in the
  o> /opt/local/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-solaris2.6/2.7.2.2 directory so I
  o> added a symlink /opt/local/lib2 to that directory.

You don't need to do anything like that.  GCC should have the right path
built into the exe; if it doesn't there'll be lots more problems so
making that symlink is relatively useless.  Take that link back out
again.

I just wanted to know where GCC was looking, and if the file was
actually there.

  o> 	ld: fatal: file crt1.o: open failed: No such file or directory
  o> 	ld: fatal: file crti.o: open failed: No such file or directory
  o> 	ld: fatal: file crtbegin.o: open failed: No such file or

See?  Those should be in the directory GCC is looking at, too.  It's
looking more and more like an installation problem; you have the files
in /opt/local/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-solaris2.6/2.7.2.2, but GCC is
looking somewhere else.

  o> This is what I get when I type the command:

  o> 	sun1% /opt/local/bin/gcc -v -o conftest -g conftest.c
  o> 	gcc: conftest.c: No such file or directory
  o> 	gcc version 2.7.2.2

Oops.  Well, that's not useful, of course.  Do this:

  $ touch conftest.c
  $ gcc -v -o conftest conftest.c

You'll get a link error at the end, but before that you'll see lots of
stuff like:

  Reading specs from /usr/global/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-solaris2.5.1/egcs-2.91.60/specs
  gcc version egcs-2.91.60 19981201 (egcs-1.1.1 release)
   /usr/global/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-solaris2.5.1/egcs-2.91.60/cpp -lang-c ...
  GNU CPP version egcs-2.91.60 19981201 (egcs-1.1.1 release) (sparc)
  #include "..." search starts here:
  #include <...> search starts here:

Here we can see that GCC is looking for its internal programs and other
files in /usr/global/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-solaris2.5.1/egcs-2.91.60.

Where is your GCC looking?  Why isn't the stuff there, but rather
somewhere else?  That's what you need to fix.

 Paul D. Smith <psmith@baynetworks.com>         Network Management Development

* Re: gcc:installation problem
@ 1999-10-31 13:57     ` oupegt
From: oupegt @ 1999-10-31 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

I used "find" to locate cpp in the
/opt/local/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-solaris2.6/2.7.2.2 directory so I
added a symlink /opt/local/lib2 to that directory. I then included the
symlink to my path and tried to configure again:

	sun1% ../gcc2951/configure
	Configuring for a sparc-sun-solaris2.6 host.
	Created "Makefile" in /data2/home/thomas/misc/compdir/gccod
	using "mh-frag"
	ld: fatal: file crt1.o: open failed: No such file or directory
	ld: fatal: file crti.o: open failed: No such file or directory
	ld: fatal: file crtbegin.o: open failed: No such file or
	directory
	ld: fatal: library -lgcc: not found
	ld: fatal: library -lgcc: not found
	ld: fatal: file crtend.o: open failed: No such file or
	directory
	ld: fatal: file crtn.o: open failed: No such file or directory
	ld: fatal: File processing errors. No output written to
	conftest
	*** The command 'gcc -o conftest -g -O2   conftest.c' failed.
	*** You must set the environment variable CC to a working
	compiler.

This is what I get when I type the command:

	sun1% /opt/local/bin/gcc -v -o conftest -g conftest.c
	gcc: conftest.c: No such file or directory
	gcc version 2.7.2.2

these are the permissions on my /opt/local directories:

-rw-r--r--   1 bin      bin          345 Feb 25  1997
README.gcc.solaris
drwxr-xr-x   2 bin      bin     bin
drwxr-xr-x   2 bin      bin     doc
drwxr-xr-x   2 bin      bin     include
drwxr-xr-x   2 bin      bin     info
drwxr-xr-x   3 bin      bin     lib
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     other   lib2 ->
/opt/local/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-solaris2.6/2.7.2.2
drwxr-xr-x   3 bin      bin     man
drwxr-xr-x   3 bin      bin     sparc-sun-solaris2.6

My path has been set up in the following way:

sun1% echo $path
/bin /usr/bin /etc /usr/local/bin /opt/local/bin /usr/ccs/bin
/opt/local/lib2 /usr/ccs/lib /usr/include /usr/ucb

The directory /opt/local/lib2 is just a link to
/opt/local/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-solaris2.6/2.7.2.2:

	sun1% pwd
	/opt/local/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-sun-solaris2.6/2.7.2.2
	sun1% ls
	SYSCALLS.c.X	cc1plus		crtbegin.o	crtn.o
	libgcc.a	cc1	cppcrtend.o	gmon.o
	libobjc.a		cc1obj		crt1.o		crti.o
	include       specs

	sun1% ls -ld .
	drwxr-xr-x   3 bin      bin          512 Oct  7 14:47 .

I am now completely confused.

Emile G. Thomas
to send e-mail, remove ".nospam" from the address.

@ 1999-10-31 13:57   ` Paul D. Smith
From: Paul D. Smith @ 1999-10-31 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

@ 1999-10-11 14:12     ` Paul D. Smith