* Help configuring gcc
@ 2000-07-11  2:57 Robert Schweikert
From: Robert Schweikert @ 2000-07-11  2:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rschumeyer; +Cc: gcc-help

Rick,

This happened to me when I didn't have gcc installed. If you do have gcc
installed and it still doesn't work you might want to install the gcc
rpm on the 6.2 cd and test things out then.

Have fun.
Robert

--
Robert Schweikert                      MAY THE SOURCE BE WITH YOU
rjschwei@mindspring.com                         LINUX

* Re: Help configuring gcc
       [not found]   ` <467963B4.1080002@doc.ic.ac.uk>
@ 2007-06-21  3:06     ` David Daney
From: David Daney @ 2007-06-21  3:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luke Dickens; +Cc: gcc help

Luke Dickens wrote:

> David,
>
> Thankyou for your swift reply.
>
> Could you possibly recommend a C compiler? I thought that ming was in
> one, but it appears to be related to makefiles instead. I guess Ming
> interprets the makefile.

Alas, I cannot.  I am a GNU/Linux person, it has been many years since I
wrote code on/for Windows.

David Daney.

* Re: Help configuring gcc
@ 2007-06-20 18:55 ` Brian Dessent
From: Brian Dessent @ 2007-06-20 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luke Dickens; +Cc: gcc-help

Luke Dickens wrote:

> Now I understand what this is telling me. It is telling me that there is
> no binary  file called gcc or cc which can be used, because the path
> doesn't point towards any folder that contains such a binary. But the
> reason I am doing all this is to get a gcc compiler. It is all very
> confusing and I would greatly appreciate any help/advice on the issue. I
> have looked for a suitable gcc file under mingw32 but this didn't seem
> to come with one.

You're making this much harder than it needs to be.  Just download the
gcc packages from the mingw site.  This is a requirement whether or not
you want to try to build gcc from source, because a working C compiler
is a prerequisite for building gcc.  And you do *not* want to try to
build gcc from source based on your experience level.  It is not all
that simple, and using a stock gcc on MinGW has its own problems, i.e.
use the releases provided by the MinGW project as they fix bugs not
fixed in the FSF gcc.

If you have more questions about using gcc with MinGW then post on the
MinGW list.  You'll get much better help there.  This list is
appropriate for trying to build gcc from source, but again I caution you
that that is the last thing you want to try if you're already struggling
and just want a working C compiler.

Brian

* Re: Help configuring gcc
@ 2007-06-20 17:34 ` David Daney
       [not found]   ` <467963B4.1080002@doc.ic.ac.uk>
From: David Daney @ 2007-06-20 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luke Dickens; +Cc: gcc-help

Luke Dickens wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I apologise in advance if this is the wrong place to ask this question,
> but I couldn't find any suitable forums.

This is the place.

> I am trying to fathom the installation procedure for gcc-core and
> gcc-g++ on Windows XP and I think I must be missing something. So far I
> have done the following:
>
> - I have installed a programme called MSyS onto my machine. Which seems
> to give me a posix style command line that I can run. I have installed
> this in C:Program Files\msys.
> - I then installed a programme called MingW32, which I believe to be a
> c-compiler in binary form. Now as I understand things gcc is itself a
> c-compiler, so I don't really understand why this step is needed. If
> someone can compile a c-compiler elsewhere (MingW32) then why can't they
> compile gcc in the same way, or am I missing something. Anyway, for
> reasons I can no longer remember I installed MingW32 in a subdirectory
> of the msys folder, i.e. C:Program Files\msys\1.0\mingw, I no longer
> know whether this was accidental or intentional.
> - I then downloaded the gcc-core.tar.bz2 and gcc-g++.tar.bz2 and copied
> these into my home directory under msys, so C:Program
> Files\msys\1.0\home\Luke in windows parlance, but this appears as
> /home/Luke or simply ~ in msys command line.
> - I unzipped them both into a gcc-4.2.0 folder, and then created a
> subdirectory srcdir and moved all the unzipped files and folders into
> this directory. Then made another directory objdir. So my home directory
> now looks like this
>
> /home/Luke/gcc-4.2.0
>                      |---------- srcdir
>                      |                    |-------- ...
>                      |                    \-------- <all the other
> files/folders from the tarballs>
>                      \---------- objdir
>

> - Then I try to run configure and I get the following error:
> Luke@GODEL ~/gcc-4.2.0/srcdir
> $ cd ../objdir/
>
> Luke@GODEL ~/gcc-4.2.0/objdir
> $ ../srcdir/configure  loading cache ./config.cache
> checking host system type... i686-pc-mingw32
> checking target system type... i686-pc-mingw32
> checking build system type... i686-pc-mingw32
> checking for a BSD compatible install... /bin/install -c
> checking whether ln works... yes
> checking whether ln -s works... no
> checking for gcc... no
> checking for cc... no
> configure: error: no acceptable cc found in $PATH
>
> Now I understand what this is telling me. It is telling me that there is
> no binary  file called gcc or cc which can be used, because the path
> doesn't point towards any folder that contains such a binary. But the
> reason I am doing all this is to get a gcc compiler. It is all very
> confusing and I would greatly appreciate any help/advice on the issue. I
> have looked for a suitable gcc file under mingw32 but this didn't seem
> to come with one.

I am not a mingw expert, but what you are doing looks reasonable.

GCC is written in the C programming language.  In order to build it you
need a C compiler.  It presents a chicken-and-egg problem if you don't
already have a suitable compiler.

I would search for pre-built GCC images for your system, and install one
of those.  After you have a working GCC, you can build new versions with
that.

David Daney.

* Help configuring gcc
@ 2007-06-20 17:22 Luke Dickens
From: Luke Dickens @ 2007-06-20 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi,

I apologise in advance if this is the wrong place to ask this question,
but I couldn't find any suitable forums.

I am trying to fathom the installation procedure for gcc-core and
gcc-g++ on Windows XP and I think I must be missing something. So far I
have done the following:

- I have installed a programme called MSyS onto my machine. Which seems
to give me a posix style command line that I can run. I have installed
this in C:Program Files\msys.
- I then installed a programme called MingW32, which I believe to be a
c-compiler in binary form. Now as I understand things gcc is itself a
c-compiler, so I don't really understand why this step is needed. If
someone can compile a c-compiler elsewhere (MingW32) then why can't they
compile gcc in the same way, or am I missing something. Anyway, for
reasons I can no longer remember I installed MingW32 in a subdirectory
of the msys folder, i.e. C:Program Files\msys\1.0\mingw, I no longer
know whether this was accidental or intentional.
- I then downloaded the gcc-core.tar.bz2 and gcc-g++.tar.bz2 and copied
these into my home directory under msys, so C:Program
Files\msys\1.0\home\Luke in windows parlance, but this appears as
/home/Luke or simply ~ in msys command line.
- I unzipped them both into a gcc-4.2.0 folder, and then created a
subdirectory srcdir and moved all the unzipped files and folders into
this directory. Then made another directory objdir. So my home directory
now looks like this

/home/Luke/gcc-4.2.0
                      |---------- srcdir
                      |                    |-------- ...
                      |                    \-------- <all the other
files/folders from the tarballs>

                      \---------- objdir

- Then I try to run configure and I get the following error:
Luke@GODEL ~/gcc-4.2.0/srcdir
$ cd ../objdir/

Luke@GODEL ~/gcc-4.2.0/objdir
$ ../srcdir/configure
checking host system type... i686-pc-mingw32
checking target system type... i686-pc-mingw32
checking build system type... i686-pc-mingw32
checking for a BSD compatible install... /bin/install -c
checking whether ln works... yes
checking whether ln -s works... no
checking for gcc... no
checking for cc... no
configure: error: no acceptable cc found in $PATH

Now I understand what this is telling me. It is telling me that there is
no binary  file called gcc or cc which can be used, because the path
doesn't point towards any folder that contains such a binary. But the
reason I am doing all this is to get a gcc compiler. It is all very
confusing and I would greatly appreciate any help/advice on the issue. I
have looked for a suitable gcc file under mingw32 but this didn't seem
to come with one.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Luke

* Re: Help configuring gcc
@ 2000-07-10 15:41 ` Martin v. Loewis
From: Martin v. Loewis @ 2000-07-10 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rschumeyer; +Cc: gcc-help

> I don't think this is a gcc problem, but it is affecting my ability to
> compile gcc
> (and other stuff)
>
> When I run ./configure on my linux box (RH 6.2) I get:
>
> Config.guess failed to determine the host type.
>
> Any idea why?

Traditionally, I believe it was because the compiler was not named cc,
or gcc, or that ld was not available.

Regards,
Martin

* Help configuring gcc
@ 2000-07-10 12:01 Rick Schumeyer
From: Rick Schumeyer @ 2000-07-10 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

I don't think this is a gcc problem, but it is affecting my ability to
compile gcc
(and other stuff)

When I run ./configure on my linux box (RH 6.2) I get:

Config.guess failed to determine the host type.

Any idea why?

--
Rick Schumeyer, Ph.D.