* debug info getting removed with --gc-sections flag
@ 2001-03-20 11:13 Ian Thompson
From: Ian Thompson @ 2001-03-20 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi,

I'm using the mips gcc cross-compiler in little-endian mode, and
running into a problem with the --gc-sections linker flag.  I can
compile and run code just fine using the flag, but when I try and load
the program into a debugger, it can't read the debugging information
correctly.  I'm using the stab debug format (-gstabs for gcc, --gstabs
for asm).  I'm guessing that the linker flag is somehow removing a
necessary debug section, but when I do a readelf on the executable,
the mdebug section is present with or without the --gc-sections flag.

Has anyone run into this problem before?

thanks,
ian

Ian Thompson           tel: 408.952.2023
Firmware Engineer      fax: 408.570.0910
Palmchip Corporation   www.palmchip.com

* Re: debug info getting removed with --gc-sections flag
@ 2001-03-21 14:30 ` Alexandre Oliva
From: Alexandre Oliva @ 2001-03-21 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ian Thompson; +Cc: gcc-help

On Mar 20, 2001, Ian Thompson <iant@palmchip.com> wrote:

> Has anyone run into this problem before?

Yep.  AFAIK, --gc-sections isn't really usable yet.  You may want to
let the folks in the appropriate mailing list know about this
particular the problem, though.  Hint: gcc-help is about GCC, the
linker is part of GNU binutils.