From: Bob Koninckx <bob.koninckx@mech.kuleuven.ac.be>
To: David Korn <dkorn@pixelpower.com>
Cc: gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: Cross compiler Alpha->powerpc problems
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 05:17:00 -0000	[thread overview]

David Korn wrote:

> [...]

I don't think that is the problem. Actually, the prefix and exec-prefix
directories fr both binutils and gcc were
/usr/local/crossgcc/powerpc-eabi. So there is an extra powerpc-eabi directory
(the one you
are referring too) underneath.  Moreover, The procedure works fine for the
i386-elf or m68k-coff targets
that were build in exactly the same way.

(
There are thus
/usr/local/crossgcc/powerpc-eabi/bin    and
/usr/local/crossgcc/powerpc-eabi/powerpc-eabi/bin   directories
)

>   In the $prefix/$target/bin directory, you have cross binutils, with
> no '$target-' prefix.  Putting this directory first in your path means that
> whenever gcc tries to invoke 'as', it will find the ppc cross assembler and
> run that.  That's not what you want; you want to find the native assembler,
> since you're building a compiler that's meant to run on your alpha, not
> your ppc.
>
>   What you really wanted was
>
>   PATH=/usr/local/crossgcc/bin:$PATH; export PATH
>
> so that the cross compile process can find the cross binutils under the
> name 'powerpc-eabi-as' etc.

As stated before that is what it finds. The fact that the problem only occurs
for the powerpc-eabi
target makes me believe that it has something to do with that target, rather
than with the build procedure

>   Clear everything out and try again with this version of the path setting.
>
>   I can't promise that this is the solution to your problem, but it's
> still necessary; I've always had mysterious build errors when I've made
> that mistake myself.
>
>   BTW, http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/getstart.html only mentions the
> tools as running under Linux and Windows, so you may find that they
> don't build correctly under Alpha?  Or are you running Linux on Alpha?

Yep, linux on an alpha workstation.  The identical procedure on an i386 host
runs without any problems.

> Have you joined the eCos mailing list?

Well, I searched the archives and came accross a problem for building the
tools on an alpha for an arm target.
The solution to that problem was upgrading the host compiler to at least
2.95.2. I didn't find anything concerning
the powerpc. However, I found the hint to ask gcc related questions on this
list several times. That's why I asked
it here.

> Did you apply the path from
> http://sources.redhat.com/ecos/tools/patches/ecos-gcc-2952.pat
> to the gcc source code?

Yes, I did.

>       DaveK

Thanks for your help anyway. Maybe other suggestions ??

Regards,
Bob