* Using gcc
@ 2001-09-14  8:39 charles scott
From: charles scott @ 2001-09-14  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hello,

I am new to GNU CC and I have version gcc 3.0.1 running on Solaris 8.
 The package seemed to install okay and I added the  /usr/local/bin
directory to my path however, when I compile my c++ program it returns
the following message:

                    `main' must return `int'

Here is the code.

#include <iostream.h>

void main()
{
       long   number = 0;
       cout <<  "This is a test. "  <<  number   <<   endl;
}

Is there a place where I get some sample c++ code that will compile to
test my install?

Thanks for your assistance.

* Using gcc
@ 2002-03-28 20:30 Francisco Mendez
From: Francisco Mendez @ 2002-03-28 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi:
I'm totaly new to c programming, I'm using Red Hat 7.2. Recently I got
the book "Practical C Programming" by Steve Oualline (O'Reilly). In Ch-2
a simple Hello World program is described,
[File: hello/hello.c]
#include <stdio.h>
int main()
{
   printf("Hello World\n");
   return(0);
}

The file is saved as hello.c

, following are the instructions for compiling from the command line:
   gcc -g -Wall -ohello hello.c

The sample fails to compile, unstead I get the following Messages:
hello.c:1: parse error before '['
In file included from usr/include/bits/types.h:143,
                         from usr/include/stdio.h:36,
                         from hello.c:2:
usr/include/bits/pthreadtypes.h:48: parse error before 'size_t'
usr/include/bits/pthreadtypes.h:48: warning: no semicolon at end  of
structure union
usr/include/bits/pthreadtypes.h:51: parse error before '__stacksize'
usr/include/bits/pthreadtypes.h:51: warning: data definition has no type
or storage class
usr/include/bits/pthreadtypes.h:52: warning: data definition has no type
or storage class
In file included from usr/include/_G_config.h:44;
                         from usr/include/libio.h:32,
                         from usr/include/stdio.h:65,
                         from hello.c:2:
usr/include/gconv.h:72: parse error before 'size_t'
usr/include/gconv.h:85: parse error before 'size_t'
usr/include/gconv.h:94: parse error before 'size_t'
usr/include/gconv.h:170: parse error before 'size_t'
usr/include/gconv.h:170: warning: no semicolon at end of struct or union
usr/include/gconv.h:173: parse error before '}'
usr/include/gconv.h:173: warning: data definition has no type or storage
class
In file included from usr/include/libio.h:32,
                         from usr/include/libio.h:65,
                         from hello.c:2:
usr/include/_G_config.h:47: field '__cd' has incomplete type
usr/include/_G_config.h:50: field '__cd' has incomplete type
usr/include/_G_config.h:53: confused by earlier errors, bailing out

So it seems impossible to compile this simple programm. Whatis wrong?

Any help in this respect will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Francisco Mendez.

* RE: Using gcc
@ 2002-03-28 20:40 Mariappan, MaharajanX
From: Mariappan, MaharajanX @ 2002-03-28 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Francisco Mendez', gcc-help

a simple Hello World program is described,
[File: hello/hello.c]

Is the above line is a part of ur fil? if so remove it or put as the inline
comment like below,
/* [File: hello/hello.c] */

- Maharajan

* RE: Using gcc
@ 2002-03-28 20:40 Thai Dang Vu
From: Thai Dang Vu @ 2002-03-28 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Francisco Mendez, gcc-help

Have you tried

gcc -g -Wall -o hello hello.c

yet?

@ 2005-12-24 19:40 jjwdeck
From: jjwdeck @ 2005-12-24 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

	It has been a long time since I compiled anything on Linux.  When I attempted to compile the following program with gcc (ver 3.3.4-13 on a Debian’s Sarge).  It resulted in the error below.

Program:
// test compile
#include	<stdio.h>

int	main(void) {
	printf("Hello World\n") ;
}

Compiler/Linker error:
/tmp/cc0Ke0PP.o(.eh_frame+0x11): undefined reference to `__gxx_personality_v0'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

	Checking the documentation for a version of gcc close to this one gave me now clue as to how to resolve the linker error.  I ended up searching  /usr/lib for __gxx_personality_v0 to find libstdc++.a which so happened to define the reference.  Where do I find documentation that will tell me how to get started doing a compile in this situation?  Also what is this 'personality' type of name the linker needs?

	Sincerely,
	jjwdeck