* help needed on config/install gcc 3.0
@ 2001-10-03 15:21 Cheng Yan
From: Cheng Yan @ 2001-10-03 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

Dear Sir,

I have recently tried installed gcc 3.0 on a Solaris 2.7 box. I got the
following error:

75 => /opt/local/gnu/gcc-3.0/configure
Configuring for a sparc-sun-solaris2.7 host.
Created "Makefile" in /usr/gnubin using "mh-frag"
/usr/ucb/cc:  language optional software package not installed
*** The command 'cc -o conftest -g   conftest.c' failed.
*** You must set the environment variable CC to a working compiler.

I know I have /usr/ucb/cc installed. But I don't know how to set
theenvironment variable CC. Certainly I know how to set an env variable. But
what value do I need to give to the environment variable CC?

Your help is highly appreciated.

Sincerely,

>Cheng Yan

* Re: help needed on config/install gcc 3.0
@ 2001-10-03 21:11 ` Frank Schafer
From: Frank Schafer @ 2001-10-03 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cheng Yan; +Cc: help-gcc

Cheng Yan wrote:

> Dear Sir,
>
> I have recently tried installed gcc 3.0 on a Solaris 2.7 box. I got the
> following error:

> 75 => /opt/local/gnu/gcc-3.0/configure
> Configuring for a sparc-sun-solaris2.7 host.
> Created "Makefile" in /usr/gnubin using "mh-frag"
> /usr/ucb/cc:  language optional software package not installed
> *** The command 'cc -o conftest -g   conftest.c' failed.
> *** You must set the environment variable CC to a working compiler.
>
> I know I have /usr/ucb/cc installed. But I don't know how to set
> theenvironment variable CC. Certainly I know how to set an env variable. But
> what value do I need to give to the environment variable CC?
>
> Your help is highly appreciated.
>
> Sincerely,
> >
> >Cheng Yan

Hi Cheng,

If You have a C-compiler installed in /some/dir/someC, You should:

# export CC=/some/dir/someC

For the case, that /some/dir is in Your path

# export CC=someC

should be sufficient.

Hope this helps
Frank