* gnu ld problems with Intel Fortran Compiler
@ 2002-01-24 20:40 sreenath.ramaswamy
From: sreenath.ramaswamy @ 2002-01-24 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

Hi all,
	We are trying to compile and run a quantum chemical computation
package called 'GAMESS' written in Fortran77 on Linux64 on IA64. We are
facing the following problem during the linking stage:-

ld: ../gamess.00.x: short data segment overflowed (0x81a110 >= 0x400000)

A Search extensively on the net gave the information that GNU ld has some
problems with Intel compilers and a similar problem has been fixed a few
months ago. But was unable to find the solution. Could anyone help us with
the solution to this problem or good pointers to them??

All help highly appreciated...

Thanx in Advance,
Sreenath

* Re: gnu ld problems with Intel Fortran Compiler
@ 2002-01-25 14:56 ` Toon Moene
From: Toon Moene @ 2002-01-25 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sreenath.ramaswamy; +Cc: help-gcc

"sreenath.ramaswamy" wrote:

>         We are trying to compile and run a quantum chemical computation
> package called 'GAMESS' written in Fortran77 on Linux64 on IA64. We are
> facing the following problem during the linking stage:-
>
> ld: ../gamess.00.x: short data segment overflowed (0x81a110 >= 0x400000)

You're better off asking this question to the company that sold / gave
you the Linux/ia64 distribution.  They know how they build the stuff and
which versions for gcc and binutils (of which ld is part) they used.

See if they have a public web page and a bug reporting system.

* Re: gnu ld problems with Intel Fortran Compiler
@ 2002-01-27 21:27   ` sreenath.ramaswamy
From: sreenath.ramaswamy @ 2002-01-27 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

On Fri, 25 Jan 2002, Toon Moene wrote:

> "sreenath.ramaswamy" wrote:
>
> >         We are trying to compile and run a quantum chemical computation
> > package called 'GAMESS' written in Fortran77 on Linux64 on IA64. We are
> > facing the following problem during the linking stage:-
> >
> > ld: ../gamess.00.x: short data segment overflowed (0x81a110 >= 0x400000)
>
> You're better off asking this question to the company that sold / gave
> you the Linux/ia64 distribution.  They know how they build the stuff and
> which versions for gcc and binutils (of which ld is part) they used.
>
> See if they have a public web page and a bug reporting system.
Hi,
	This package is right now not officially expected to run on IA64.
We are trying to do it. The original compiler they had used is g77 but
since g77 2.96 seemed to be buggy due to which the program wasn't working
properly with double precision data, we decided to try out efc(Intel
Fortran Comiler), eventhough there is the choice of g77 3.0.3
latest release. That is when the problem came. So the package distributors
won't be able to help us.... The version of binutils used is 2.10.91.

TIA,
rgds,

@ 2002-01-28 14:07     ` Toon Moene
From: Toon Moene @ 2002-01-28 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sreenath.ramaswamy; +Cc: help-gcc

"sreenath.ramaswamy" wrote:

> > > We are
> > > facing the following problem during the linking stage:-
> > >
> > > ld: ../gamess.00.x: short data segment overflowed (0x81a110 >= 0x400000)
> >
> > You're better off asking this question to the company that sold / gave
> > you the Linux/ia64 distribution.  They know how they build the stuff and
> > which versions for gcc and binutils (of which ld is part) they used.

>         This package is right now not officially expected to run on IA64.
> We are trying to do it. The original compiler they had used is g77 but
> since g77 2.96 seemed to be buggy due to which the program wasn't working
> properly with double precision data, we decided to try out efc(Intel
> Fortran Comiler), eventhough there is the choice of g77 3.0.3
> latest release. That is when the problem came. So the package distributors
> won't be able to help us.... The version of binutils used is 2.10.91.

Ah, OK.  But still, the error above is a problem that `ld' detects, so
it is a good idea to ask on the binutils mailing list first.  They might
want you to produce the assembler code that caused `ld' to issue this
message.

If the people on that list are certain that the problem is due to gcc,
we are going to look into it.

* Re: gnu ld problems with Intel Fortran Compiler
@ 2002-01-25 15:12 Hong_Chang
From: Hong_Chang @ 2002-01-25 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gcc

The overflowed must related to your ld which may have too much of data over
the data segment
and you can take a look at makefile.

Hope this help

Hong