From: Edmund Green <confusedmund@yahoo.co.uk>
To: snodx@hotmail.com
Cc: gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: IP ADDRESS OF MACHINE
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 03:55:00 -0000	[thread overview]

 > In short I am looking for a program like /bin/netstat --route only this program is to be
 > much much much simpler. It just needs to retrieve the TCP/IP Address 192.168.0.2 and display
 > it.

   Well unfortunately I don't think that you can do this so simply, because the machine itself doesn't have an IP
address, it is the interfaces that have the IP addresses and you will be using different interfaces depending upon where
you are connecting to (for example consider the common situation of a computer which is acting as a firewall / router
between the internet and an home network, it will have one external IP address on the interface talking to the internet,
a different IP address on the interface on the home network, and a third IP address (127.0.0.1) for talking to itself)

   If you open a socket connection to somewhere, _then_ you can ask what the IP address of the interface on your end of
the socket was, but until you do that (or manually read through your routing tables and network card configurations)
then you don't know which IP address you're interested in (for example in your case being surprised that you were given
the localhost address)

   Alternativly going the get host by name route as a previous poster demonstrated will work, but you might have to try
setting up your /etc/hosts file as:

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
192.168.0.2 mymachine.mydomain mymachine

   if you've also got your /etc/host.conf set up to use "hosts, bind", otherwise if you put the name of your machine on
the 127.0.0.1 line then it will still (correctly) return the address 127.0.0.1, because that is the IP address you are
interested in if you want to open a socket to yourself.

Edmund.

ps, is there a more appropriate newsgroup for this kind of question than gcc-help?