* Exceptions and so
@ 2002-05-15  5:07 Henrik Nilsson (Developer)
From: Henrik Nilsson (Developer) @ 2002-05-15  5:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi
I trying to use exceptions in a "so" file on GCC.
It seems like this it not working at all?
Process crash when throws the exception.
I have tried it on a Solaris 2.95.2
	and on RedaHat Linux 2.95.3

Anyone who have any experience of this?

Thanks
Henrik

* Re: Exceptions and so
@ 2002-05-15  5:46 ` bjorn rohde jensen
From: bjorn rohde jensen @ 2002-05-15  5:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: gcc-help

Hi Henrik,

 You should be able to throw exceptions in a shared object
and even accross the so interface, but you have to be very
carefull. I have had interesting results stemming from
premature unloading of libraries due to thrown exceptions.
A simple design flaw on my behalf due to insufficient
understanding, but quite educational i guess;)
 You might want to check out comp.lang.c++.moderated, since
there is an interesting thread running now about the binary
compatibility of shared objects.
 Perhaps you could try to post a small contained example
demonstrating the problem?

Yours sincerely,

bjorn

* RE: Exceptions and so
@ 2002-05-15  7:50 ` Henrik Nilsson (Developer)
From: Henrik Nilsson (Developer) @ 2002-05-15  7:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

Hi

Well it's really simple code inside the shared object.
Not even this is working
prinf("Throw")
try{
	throw 1;
}
catch(int i){
	prinf("Catch")
}
I got the same result when compiling with gcc or g++
Bjorn
Can you specify comp.lang.c++.moderated
Thanks!
/Henrik

@ 2002-05-15  8:27   ` bjorn rohde jensen
From: bjorn rohde jensen @ 2002-05-15  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: gcc-help

Hi Henrik,

 I cant get that to fail, i am not sure, what i am
doing wrong;) Are you using any special link options
or something?
 The thread on shared objects etc on
 comp.lang.c++.moderated is called Staying binary
compatible with plugins, there is quite a bit of
interesting things to read there.

Yours sincerely,

Bjorn