* Ada compiler built but not working
@ 2002-07-01 12:11 Robert Love
From: Robert Love @ 2002-07-01 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

I've checked the FAQ but didn't see anything like this.  I grabbed the
3.1 tarball and built  all the languages on my RH 7.2 linux box.  I had
a version of Gnat previously installed so I could build the Ada piece of
gcc 3.1.

When the build and install was done I have all the usual tools in
/usr/local/bin, ie. gnat, gnatbind, gnatmake.  gnat1 is in
/usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux/3.1/gnat1

When I attempt to compile a "hello world" I get the following:

gnatmake hello.adb
gcc -c hello.adb
gcc: hello.adb: Ada compiler not installed on this system
gnatmake: "hello.ali" WARNING: ALI or object file not found after compile
gnatmake: "hello.adb" compilation error.

Note that other pieces seem to have built correctly.   I can compile
Fortran for example.

All advice appreciated.

--
Bob Love					mail:  rlove@neosoft.com
						jabber: rlove@jabber.org

* Re: Ada compiler built but not working
@ 2002-07-02  7:02 ` zhenggen
From: zhenggen @ 2002-07-02  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Love, gcc-help

Robert Love wrote:

> gnatmake hello.adb
> gcc -c hello.adb
> gcc: hello.adb: Ada compiler not installed on this system
> gnatmake: "hello.ali" WARNING: ALI or object file not found after compile
> gnatmake: "hello.adb" compilation error.

You should check which gcc you have invoked by shell command "which" :
$ which gcc
 From the message one can figure out that the old  gcc which is located
in /usr/bin is called.
 The work around is put "/usr/local/bin" at the begin of your PATH variable.

 zhenggen

* Re: Ada compiler built but not working
@ 2002-07-02 11:24   ` Robert Love
From: Robert Love @ 2002-07-02 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zhenggen; +Cc: gcc-help

On Tuesday, July 2, 2002, at 09:01  AM, zhenggen wrote:

> Robert Love wrote:
>

>> gnatmake hello.adb
>> gcc -c hello.adb
>> gcc: hello.adb: Ada compiler not installed on this system
>> gnatmake: "hello.ali" WARNING: ALI or object file not found after
>> compile
>> gnatmake: "hello.adb" compilation error.
>>
> You should check which gcc you have invoked by shell command "which" :
> $ which gcc
> From the message one can figure out that the old  gcc which is located
> in /usr/bin is called.
> The work around is put "/usr/local/bin" at the begin of your PATH
> variable.

Of course you were correct.  My history list shows I had even performed
a which on gnatmake but not on gcc.  Thank you for clearing up my
confusion.

Bob Love					mail:  rlove@neosoft.com
						jabber: rlove@jabber.org

* Compiling GCC for an i486
@ 2002-07-02 11:47     ` RMD
From: RMD @ 2002-07-02 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

I need to compile gcc-2.95.3 and glibc-2.2.5 on a 686 machine, for a i486
target.

In LFS33 documentation, it says: "This package is known to behave badly when
you have changed it´s default optimization flags (including the -march
and -mcpu options), GLIBC is best left alone, so we recommend you unsetting
CFLAGS, CXXFLAGS and other such variables/settings that would change the
default optimization values it comes with. Also, dont pass
the --enable-kernel option to the configure script. It´s known to cause
segmentation faults when other packages like fileutils, make and tar are
linked against it"
The same words are used for GCC...
This remains true? If so, how can I build gcc and glibc on a pentium-class
machine
for another x86 target?
regards

Ricardo Derbes
Altec SE
Albarracín 157 - San Carlos de Bariloche
+54-2944-426892
rmd@altec.com.ar