* Expansing macro-definitions using Gdb
@ 2002-07-06  8:11 Pierre Habraken
From: Pierre Habraken @ 2002-07-06  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gdb, gcc-help

The Gcc man page tells that using the option -g3 macro-definitions
present in the source program are included into the object file.
However, even when I use this option at compile time, Gdb 5.2 does not
recognize such macro-definitions.
Actually, using gcc 3.04, I compiled a C program including macro
definitions first with option -g and then with option -g3. Then, when
using cmp to compare both executables no difference is detected.
Is there a way to enable printing/displaying macro-definitions when
debugging a C program with Gdb ?

Pierre
Pierre HABRAKEN - mailto:Pierre.Habraken@imag.fr
Tél: 04 76 82 72 83 - Fax: 04 76 82 72 87
IMAG-LSR BP72 38402 SAINT MARTIN D'HERES Cedex

* Re: Expansing macro-definitions using Gdb
@ 2002-07-06  8:36 ` Daniel Jacobowitz
From: Daniel Jacobowitz @ 2002-07-06  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pierre Habraken; +Cc: gdb, gcc-help

On Sat, Jul 06, 2002 at 05:04:29PM +0200, Pierre Habraken wrote:
> The Gcc man page tells that using the option -g3 macro-definitions
> present in the source program are included into the object file.
> However, even when I use this option at compile time, Gdb 5.2 does not
> recognize such macro-definitions.
> Actually, using gcc 3.04, I compiled a C program including macro
> definitions first with option -g and then with option -g3. Then, when
> using cmp to compare both executables no difference is detected.
> Is there a way to enable printing/displaying macro-definitions when
> debugging a C program with Gdb ?

You need to use a CVS snapshot of GDB, and you need to use a very
current GCC; I believe 3.1 will do but you need to verify that
yourself.

* Re: Expansing macro-definitions using Gdb
@ 2002-07-08  1:55   ` Pierre Habraken
From: Pierre Habraken @ 2002-07-08  1:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Jacobowitz, Jim Blandy; +Cc: gdb, gcc-help

Jim Blandy wrote:

> Macro support was added after 5.2.  To get preprocessor macro support,
> you'll need to get the latest GDB sources.
>
> For the compiler, you'll need to use Dwarf 2 debugging information.
> Try -gdwarf-2 -g3.

Thanks to you Daniel and Jim, I'll try using the latest Gdb snapshot
together with turning on Dwarf 2 debugging.

Best regards,