* string class header not found
@ 2002-12-17 22:53 Mike Reedy
From: Mike Reedy @ 2002-12-17 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

With new install RedHat 8.0, gcc3.2, the following
fails to compile:
----------
#include <iostream.h>
#include <string>

main()
{
        string mys = "This is a test";

        cout<<mys<<endl;
        cout<<"done"<<endl;
}
----------
Msg: `string' undeclared (first use this function)
----------
Obviously the "string" header file is not found
although it exists at same location as in RedHat 7.x,
at /usr/include/g++-3/string.

Attempted to work around using "-I" directive but that
caused more havoc.

How can I correct this behavior?
Regards,
mike_reedy@yahoo.com

http://mailplus.yahoo.com

* Re: string class header not found
@ 2002-12-18  0:15 ` bjorn rohde jensen
From: bjorn rohde jensen @ 2002-12-18  0:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Reedy; +Cc: gcc-help

Hi Mike,

  String resides in the std namespace like most
of the other C++ libraries. gcc/g++3 is much more
strict/compliant with this sort of thing. I also
think, it is not a good idea to mix old and new
style C++ headers. Something about subtle
incompatibilities dont recall where i heard it,
possibly this list there are clever people on it:)

Yours sincerely,

Bjorn