Hi Vivin, Ok, then I hope you can help me with my original problem!   I wanted to install GCJ originally, but the library (libgcj) comes separately and is a pain to install. GCC has everything in it, GCJ and Libgcj so I thought I would install that. But this is where I am running into the problem.   I am doing this the first time! So how do I do a normal build without bootstrap? Do I still have to run configure? You must configure the build tree, yes. What I suggest you _try_ (and I haven't tested this) is (assuming your gcc sources are in /usr/src/gcc): mkdir /tmp/build/gcc cd /tmp/build/gcc export MAKE_MODE=UNIX /usr/src/gcc/configure  --prefix=/tools --with-gnu-as --with-gnu-ld 2>&1 | tee configure.out Look carefully at the start of the output, it will say "This configuration is not supported in the following directories: ...." - if it talks about gcj there then gcj isn't supported in cygwin. If the configure worked, then make -w all-gcc install-gcc LANGUAGES="c c++ java" 2>&1 | tee make.out and hopefully it will work. === Lewin A.R.W. Edwards (Embedded Engineer) Work: http://www.digi-frame.com/ Personal: http://www.zws.com/ and http://www.larwe.com/ "Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein, Nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."