From: Iain Sandoe <idsandoe@googlemail.com>
To: Wilhelm Meier <wilhelm.meier@hs-kl.de>
Cc: gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org
Subject: Re: Use coroutines for avr-gcc
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2022 09:16:39 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi Wilhelm,

> On 23 Sep 2022, at 08:58, Wilhelm Meier <wilhelm.meier@hs-kl.de> wrote:
>
> On 22.09.22 21:58, Iain Sandoe wrote:

>> You can provide your own allocation and deallocation functions in the promise
>> class :
>> see  -  https://eel.is/c++draft/dcl.fct.def.coroutine#9
>> (and #12).
>> NOTE: this link is the current C++23 draft, the implementation in GCC follows the
>> C++20 version (but the basic provision is stil there)
>
> Ok, thank you.
> I did that and now it works also on target AVR ;-)

great!

> But: the asm-output contains a whole bunch of boilerplate code for storing the state of the coroutine. So for now I would say it is really unusable on small targets like AVR.

> I think, if the heap operations could be elided away, then the whole thing should be more efficient.

The generator style of coroutine is one specific case.

Asynchronous cases (e.g. the behaviour of an I/O interaction) modelled by a coroutine rather than a hand-written state machine strike me as potentially very useful for embedded systems (since those hand-written cases are notoriously hard to maintain).  So perhaps we could see if there is some way to optimise the ‘boiler plate’ (although some copying is mandated by the standard).

FWIW: there are some other optimisations in the pipeline (one that minimizes frame size, and one that avoids saving some of the variables to the frame).  However, AFAIK, no-one is actively working on frame elision.

There is also a paper to WG21 that seeks to mandate some of these optimisations - so maybe frame elision will get some more attention in the future.

Of course, if you have a patch to implement the elision, we would also be very happy to review it.

cheers
Iain