* Newbe user questions
@ 2004-07-27 13:57 Richard B. Ahlvin
From: Richard B. Ahlvin @ 2004-07-27 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gcc-help

I need some information; maybe I've not found the 'right' site, or one can
point me to the right place.
1).What is the latest G77 and where can I find a binary? (I have 0.5.25 is
there anything later?
2).I have found what appears to be later G77 by itself, but without the
libraries, etc.  Will these G77 work with the "old" libraries and other
codes in the compiler chain?

What I really want, is a Fortran 90 (or later) that works in Windows XP.
(Our legacy Lahey F77/EM32 code no longer works in Windows 2000/XP after a
recent Microsoft patch.
3).Is there a G95 that works in Windows XP? (Does g95/cygwin work on
Windows XP?  [why is cygwin needed for a compiler...I thought cygwin is a
unix look-alike shell for windows?]
4).Is there a 'preferred' site to download GCC executables (that will have
the 'latest' versions?)

FWIW I have just sucessfully compiled a Fortran 77 code and it seems to
work;  I had to make some changes to allow for things not implemented in
G77, fix some Fortran syntax errors that Lahey overlooked, and work around
what seemed to be a compiler bug.  Some results of the G77 compiled code
differ from a Lahey F95 compiled version. I hope to trace that down
shortly.

Richard Ahlvin

PPS.  If there is any interest, I will be glad to post my experiences
trying to use GCC.

* Re: Newbe user questions
@ 2004-07-27 19:29 ` Toon Moene
From: Toon Moene @ 2004-07-27 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rahlvin at magnolia dot; +Cc: gcc-help

Richard B. Ahlvin wrote:

> I need some information; maybe I've not found the 'right' site, or one can
> point me to the right place.
> 1).What is the latest G77 and where can I find a binary? (I have 0.5.25 is
> there anything later?

The latest release of g77 is g77-3.4.1, part of gcc-3.4.1.  Binaries can
be found by following the entry "Binaries" in the left column of our
home page (http://gcc.gnu.org).

> 2).I have found what appears to be later G77 by itself, but without the
> libraries, etc.  Will these G77 work with the "old" libraries and other
> codes in the compiler chain?

In general it will.  Little has changed over the years in the library.

> What I really want, is a Fortran 90 (or later) that works in Windows XP.
> (Our legacy Lahey F77/EM32 code no longer works in Windows 2000/XP after a
> recent Microsoft patch.
> 3).Is there a G95 that works in Windows XP? (Does g95/cygwin work on
> Windows XP?  [why is cygwin needed for a compiler...I thought cygwin is a
> unix look-alike shell for windows?]

There probably is, but I do not know of one off-hand.  Look into the
mailing list archive at http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-testresults/2004-07/
to see who uses a cygwin system and ask them how to get a binary version
of gcc-3.5.0.  Note that that version hasn't been released yet and is
*experimental*.

> 4).Is there a 'preferred' site to download GCC executables (that will have
> the 'latest' versions?)

See our "Binaries" entry that I alluded to above.

> FWIW I have just sucessfully compiled a Fortran 77 code and it seems to
> work;  I had to make some changes to allow for things not implemented in
> G77, fix some Fortran syntax errors that Lahey overlooked, and work around
> what seemed to be a compiler bug.  Some results of the G77 compiled code
> differ from a Lahey F95 compiled version. I hope to trace that down
> shortly.

OK, if you think there's a real compiler bug, contact us again at
http://gcc.gnu.org/bugzilla/.

A maintainer of GNU Fortran 95: http://gcc.gnu.org/fortran/