From: Iain Sandoe <idsandoe@googlemail.com>
To: "C. David Whiteman" <davidwhiteman@mac.com>
Cc: gcc-help <gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Compiler problem with gfortran
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2022 19:32:35 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi Dave,

> On 24 Apr 2022, at 19:01, Jonathan Wakely <jwakely.gcc@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Apr 2022, 18:34 C. David Whiteman, <davidwhiteman@mac.com> wrote:
> I got on the Apple Developer website and downloaded
>
> Command Line Tools for Xcode 13.3

^ When this is installed, it provides the SDK that has the library,

> Additional Tools for Xcode 13.3

^ Not actually needed (but also harmless).

> But I am still getting the following error when coming skippy.f
>
> ~/Desktop 526 $ gfortran skippy.f
> ld: library not found for -lSystem
>
> I guess the ld: suggests that the loader has not found a needed library. Not sure where that library comes from, where it would be in the directory structure, etc.

When the command line tools are installed, it would be found in an SDK installed as /LIbrary/Developer/CommandLineTools/SDKs.

Please check with the Homebrew folks, and double-check that you have everything installed as expected.

I am not aware of any general problem with the system library.

thanks,
Iain