* Re: F77 code under gcc
       [not found] ` <84fc9c000511040735h361e4430h32d43a82117c720@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2005-11-04 16:00   ` Alex Tzanov
                       ` (5 more replies)
From: Alex Tzanov @ 2005-11-04 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fortran, gcc-help

Dear Sir

I am redirected my question to you following the advise by gcc developer.

From your site:

http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.0/changes.html#4.0.2

Fortran

    * A new Fortran front end has replaced the aging GNU Fortran 77 front end. The new front
end supports Fortran 90 and Fortran 95. It may not yet be as stable as the old Fortran front
end.

So shall I understand no support for F77 at all? Or there are options for F77 dialect?
Novell site claims support for F77, but seems to me that is not true.

--
Alexander Tzanov
Scientific Computing and Visualization
New York University, WWH
251 Mercer Street
phone: 212 998 3159
fax:   212 995 4120
e-mail: alex.tzanov@nyu.edu

* Re: F77 code under gcc
@ 2005-11-04 16:04     ` Andrew Pinski
                       ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Andrew Pinski @ 2005-11-04 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Tzanov; +Cc: fortran, gcc-help

> Dear Sir
>

> I am redirected my question to you following the advise by gcc developer.
>
> >From your site:
>
> http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.0/changes.html#4.0.2
>
> Fortran
>
>     * A new Fortran front end has replaced the aging GNU Fortran 77 front end. The new front
> end supports Fortran 90 and Fortran 95. It may not yet be as stable as the old Fortran front
> end.
>
> So shall I understand no support for F77 at all? Or there are options for F77 dialect?
> Novell site claims support for F77, but seems to me that is not true.

No, the issue is that you don't have the fortran front-end installed.  It does support
fortran 77 to some extend (since all legal fortran 77 is also legal fortran 90).

You might need to install the package that contains the fortran front-end.

-- Pinski

* Re: F77 code under gcc
@ 2005-11-04 16:10     ` Steve Kargl
                       ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Steve Kargl @ 2005-11-04 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Tzanov; +Cc: fortran, gcc-help

On Fri, Nov 04, 2005 at 10:57:45AM -0500, Alex Tzanov wrote:

> I am redirected my question to you following the advise by gcc developer.
>
> >From your site:
>
> http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.0/changes.html#4.0.2
>
> Fortran
>
>     * A new Fortran front end has replaced the aging GNU Fortran
> 77 front end. The new front end supports Fortran 90 and Fortran 95.
> It may not yet be as stable as the old Fortran front end.
>
> So shall I understand no support for F77 at all?

Fortran 77 is a proper subset of Fortran 90.  So, if you have
standard conforming Fortran 77 gfortran will compile the code.
If your code could be compiled by g77, it can probably be
compiled with gfortran (unless you use some of g77's extension
that are yet to be implemented).

> Or there are options for F77 dialect?

gfortran some.f             <- You probably want this one.
gfortran -std=f77 some.f    <- You could try this, but it is fairly strict.
gfortran -std=f95 some.f90  <- You probably want to move to using Fortran 95.

> Novell site claims support for F77, but seems to me that is not true.
>
> > > I have recently upgraded my PC to Suse Linux 10 (from 9.3). The
> > > distribution  comes with gcc 4.0.2.

% find /usr -name gfortran
% find /use -name f951

If these commands find no files, then complain to Novell.

--
Steve

* Re: F77 code under gcc
@ 2005-11-04 16:10     ` Tobias.Schlueter
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Tobias.Schlueter @ 2005-11-04 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Tzanov; +Cc: fortran, gcc-help

Quoting Alex Tzanov <alex.tzanov@nyu.edu>:
> Fortran
>
>     * A new Fortran front end has replaced the aging GNU Fortran 77 front
> end. The new front
> end supports Fortran 90 and Fortran 95. It may not yet be as stable as the
> old Fortran front
> end.
>
> So shall I understand no support for F77 at all? Or there are options for F77
> dialect?
> Novell site claims support for F77, but seems to me that is not true.

Fortran 77 is a  subset of Fortran 90, in other words, every valid Fortran 77
program is a valid Fortran 90 program.

For the rest of your question, I agree with Richard Guenther: your problem is an
installation problem, which is something your system vendor (i.e. SuSE/Novell)
can probably solve.  I assume that the system upgrade wasn't smart enough to
understand that it should replace g77 by gfortran, maybe looking around for a
package named 'gfortran-something' will get you further.

Regards,
- Tobi

* Re: F77 code under gcc
                       ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-11-04 16:29     ` Richard E Maine
From: Richard E Maine @ 2005-11-04 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Tzanov; +Cc: fortran, gcc-help

On Nov 4, 2005, at 7:57 AM, Alex Tzanov wrote:

> So shall I understand no support for F77 at all? Or there are options
> for F77 dialect?
> Novell site claims support for F77, but seems to me that is not true.

F77 is a subset of f90. Therefore *ALL* f90 compilers support f77, by
definition. No special option is needed. If the code in question uses
features that were not standard Fortran of any version, then that's a
different matter. Nonstandard code sometimes has problems when ported
to different compilers. That's exactly why the standard exists. The
question of nonstandard code has nothing in particular to do with f77
vs f90.

However, from a quick glance at your reported symptoms, this doesn't
sound like it has anything to do with f77, f90, compiler switches, or
anything along those lines. The compiler does not appear to be properly
installed at all. Note that's what the message says, with "gcc:
installation problem". The next part of the message, "cannot exec
'f951': No such file or directory" indicates that part of the compiler
can't be found. In fact, if I recall correctly, that would be pretty
much the main part of the compiler.

I don't have enough information to figure out how it got in that state,
but what you have is clearly a problem with getting the compiler
installed. Fiddling with options won't change that. I think Richard
Guenther already gave you the basic answer. It doesn't look like you
actually have the gfortran compiler installed at all. I don't have a
copy of SuSE 10 handy to check.

I note that you cited Novell as claiming that the rpm was created with
support for f77. I don't know exactly what that means (and I don't know
exactly what they said), but that doesn't explicitly say that they
include gfortran. It could mean any of several things. It could mean
that they include gfortran - but your evidence seems to be arguing
against it. It could mean that they include a driver that supports
gfortran, but that you also have to install another rpm to complete it.
(That actually seems quite plausible from the symptoms - perhaps the
most likely case). It could mean that they supply a g77. Alternatively,
it could be out-of-date in that an earlier version included g77 and
they failed to update their documentation.

On thinking about it, the symptoms really sound a lot like there is an
additional rpm that you need. Not having a copy of SuSe 10 handy (I've
got some 9.x copies, but no 10), I can't diagnose further than that.
But if that's the case, it is far more a question of SuSe's particular
packaging choices than anything about the compiler.

--
Richard Maine                |  Good judgment comes from experience;
Richard.Maine@nasa.gov       |  experience comes from bad judgment.
                             |        -- Mark Twain

* Re: F77 code under gcc
                       ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-11-04 16:30     ` Manfred Schwarb
From: Manfred Schwarb @ 2005-11-04 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Tzanov; +Cc: fortran, gcc-help

This is due to sh***y packaging of SUSE.
The package gcc-fortran is not on the 5-CD-version, only on
the DVD-version. The notice, that CD-version and DVD-version are
not identical is hidden quite well.

But you can find it
at

http://ftp.opensuse.org/pub/opensuse/distribution/SL-10.0-OSS/inst-source/suse/i586/gcc-fortran-4.0.2_20050901-3.i586.rpm

As gfortran is evolving fast, I'd recommend using a never version,
e.g. http://quatramaran.ens.fr/~coudert/gfortran/gfortran-linux.tar.gz

> > > phone: 212 998 3159
> > > fax:   212 995 4120
> > > e-mail: alex.tzanov@nyu.edu
> > >

> --
> Alexander Tzanov
> Scientific Computing and Visualization
> New York University, WWH
> 251 Mercer Street
> phone: 212 998 3159
> fax:   212 995 4120
> e-mail: alex.tzanov@nyu.edu

* Re: F77 code under gcc
                       ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-11-04 17:00     ` Steven Bosscher
From: Steven Bosscher @ 2005-11-04 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fortran; +Cc: Alex Tzanov, gcc-help

On Friday 04 November 2005 16:57, Alex Tzanov wrote:
> Dear Sir
> So shall I understand no support for F77 at all? Or there are options for
> F77 dialect? Novell site claims support for F77, but seems to me that is
> not true.

That is because you don't understand what is going on here.

First of all, F95 with GNU extensions is a superset of F77, so a good
F95 compiler can compile your F77 code.  What comes with GCC 4.0 is
not really a good compiler btw, it is highly experimental -- use at
your own risk.

Second, you don't even have gfortran installed.  Install the package
named gcc-fortran.rpm.

Note that this list is totally inappropriate for the questions you're
asking.  I think it is quite rude that even though the appropriate
list to ask questions was pointed out to you, you still simply re-ask
your question somewhere else.  That kind of behavior makes me less
willing to help you.

Gr.
Steven

* Re: F77 code under gcc
@ 2005-11-04 18:32       ` Jerry DeLisle
From: Jerry DeLisle @ 2005-11-04 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: fortran, gcc-help

Hi all,

I may have missed something in this thread, but it does seem that the question
about F77 code with gfortran keeps popping up.  I think we need to revise the
documentation to explain the fact that f77 code is a subset of f90 and that it
is supported by gfortran completely, although we encourage people to move on
into f90/95 capabilities.

If no one else is already updating the documentation about this, I will take a
crack at it in the next week or so.

Jerry

* Re: F77 code under gcc
@ 2005-11-04 20:04 ` Steve Kargl
From: Steve Kargl @ 2005-11-04 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian T. Brunner; +Cc: fortran, gcc-help

On Fri, Nov 04, 2005 at 11:54:12AM -0800, Brian T. Brunner wrote:

> My error: g77, g90, g95... the point being that if the new compiler
> is a true superset of the old (this is not true for gcc v3.4 which is not
> a true superset of gcc 2.97) then simple name links give everybody
> what they want and need.

gfortran does not implement all of the horrible hacks and
compiler flags found in g77, so a symlink of g77 pointing
at gfortran is inappropriate.   That being said, I've found
very few Fortran 77 (with some extensions) packages that
gfortran can not compile.

--
Steve

* Re: F77 code under gcc
@ 2005-11-04 19:54 Brian T. Brunner
From: Brian T. Brunner @ 2005-11-04 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fortran, gcc-help

My error: g77, g90, g95... the point being that if the new compiler
is a true superset of the old (this is not true for gcc v3.4 which is not
a true superset of gcc 2.97) then simple name links give everybody
what they want and need.

Brian Brunner
brian.t.brunner@gai-tronics.com
(610)796-5838

>>> "Nelson H. F. Beebe" <beebe@math.utah.edu> 11/04/05 02:16PM >>>
Brian T. Brunner <brian.t.brunner@gai-tronics.com> writes on
Fri, 04 Nov 2005 10:45:51 -0800:

>> I would recommend to the package-wrapper folks to put a sym link
>> named f77 alongside f90 & f95 & gfortran.

Please do NOT do that.  The gcc family runs on many different
operating systems where there are already vendor-provided compilers
named f77, f90, and f95.  Historically, the GNU compilers have had
names like gcc, g++, g77, gpc, gnat, gfortran, ..., avoiding name
collisions with compiler products from other suppliers.  It is
generally only in the GNU/Linux and BSD worlds that the GNU compilers
have also been installed in /usr/bin under the names cc and f77.

Let's keep distinctive names for the GNU compilers.

- Department of Mathematics, 110 LCB    Internet e-mail: beebe@math.utah.edu  -
- 155 S 1400 E RM 233                       beebe@acm.org  beebe@computer.org -
- Salt Lake City, UT 84112-0090, USA    URL: http://www.math.utah.edu/~beebe  -

the system manager.